Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to Assign Each Part to its own midi Receive channel ?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

This is a very basic question, so hopefully it would be an easy thing to accomplish, but I can't find the info about this in the user manual.

I would like to set each Part of a Performance to a Specific MIDI channel to Receive on. , I will be sending midi data from Cubase to the Montage on the specific channels for sequencing the sounds from Cubase. So, this is a pretty simple task, but where do I set each Part to a MIDI channel on the Montage ?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 25/05/2016 4:00 am
 Axel

You can do that within the Performance assigning a specific midi channel, but not for each element in a performance. Sorry.

Hi,

This is a very basic question, so hopefully it would be an easy thing to accomplish, but I can't find the info about this in the user manual.

I would like to set each Part of a Performance to a Specific MIDI channel to Receive on. , I will be sending midi data from Cubase to the Montage on the specific channels for sequencing the sounds from Cubase. So, this is a pretty simple task, but where do I set each Part to a MIDI channel on the Montage ?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 25/05/2016 4:42 am
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Axel wrote:

You can do that within the Performance assigning a specific midi channel, but not for each element in a performance. Sorry.

Yes, I know that elements do not have their own midi channel, this was the same in the Motif series, but how do you assign a specific midi channel to each part of a Performance ? (How do I get to this menu on the Montage Interface) ?

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 25/05/2016 5:18 am
 Phil
Eminent Member

I think there have been other threads on this and unless I'm picking it up wrongly any part in a performance that isn't under keyboard control is available to be controlled externally and each one has its own midi channel that will be the same as the part number but this can't be changed. For instance, if you are playing a performance with parts 1-8 under keyboard control parts 9-16 will be set as channels 9-16. It will make more sense I'm sure once I get my hands on the board for real - in Ireland we're still waiting.

Posted : 25/05/2016 6:25 am
Leon
 Leon

Hi Tarec, I'm wrestling with the same issue right now. I just got my Montage on Saturday. I've got Sonar Professional (which I've used the most in past years), but have also spent some earlier time with Cubase. I've got them both installed now and am pretty much waiting to see which one I can get to work like I want with the synth first. Will then make that my current "standard". I'll be following this thread as well, and I'll let you know if I discover the answer before you do.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the "new style", and as I was out of the recording scene for nearly 8 years, this seems to be the only thing, technically, that has drastically changed. I actually bought a Roland FA-08 first, but couldn't get it to work like I wanted. I returned it for the Montage. Sounds are significantly better in my opinion, but I just need to get up to speed on this new way of doing things I guess. At least I see that it's not just me. Lots of people are talking about difficulties pushing MIDI track data to DAWs in general.

I spoke with a Yamaha support rep just yesterday, and he said that lots of new information, as well as INS definitions, and I think he also mentioned some plug in software that would allow us to dump entire performance bundles into the DAW. He advised me to try to be patient as the board is brand new, and not all of the capabilities have been documented (sequencing tipstricks, more specific details regarding working with various DAWs, etc...).

Posted : 25/05/2016 10:10 pm
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Leon wrote:

Hi Tarec, I'm wrestling with the same issue right now. I just got my Montage on Saturday. I've got Sonar Professional (which I've used the most in past years), but have also spent some earlier time with Cubase. I've got them both installed now and am pretty much waiting to see which one I can get to work like I want with the synth first. Will then make that my current "standard". I'll be following this thread as well, and I'll let you know if I discover the answer before you do.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the "new style", and as I was out of the recording scene for nearly 8 years, this seems to be the only thing, technically, that has drastically changed. I actually bought a Roland FA-08 first, but couldn't get it to work like I wanted. I returned it for the Montage. Sounds are significantly better in my opinion, but I just need to get up to speed on this new way of doing things I guess. At least I see that it's not just me. Lots of people are talking about difficulties pushing MIDI track data to DAWs in general.

I spoke with a Yamaha support rep just yesterday, and he said that lots of new information, as well as INS definitions, and I think he also mentioned some plug in software that would allow us to dump entire performance bundles into the DAW. He advised me to try to be patient as the board is brand new, and not all of the capabilities have been documented (sequencing tipstricks, more specific details regarding working with various DAWs, etc...).

Hi Leon,

Congratulations on your Montage !

I will be doing some experimentation/testing various scenarios in the next couple of days with my Montage 7 and Cubase Pro 8.5, I will post some feedback back here.

Also good to hear that Yamaha is planning to release some helpful software tools for the Montage, and additional support documentation, videos, ..etc. which is very welcome. I guess we just have to be patient.

Cheers,
Tarek

Posted : 26/05/2016 2:34 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us