Notifications
Clear all

HOW TO CONNECT USB FOR UPDATE

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I have the Montage and complained about there not being a looper function so Yamaha emailed me back saying they added it and to download the newest update on their site. I did so. Uncompressed the file, put it on a usb drive and followed instructions to hold down the up cursor key and utility key at the same time while turning on the keyboard. This is the second usb drive I've used and I'm still getting the message "Searching for update...NG"

HELP

Posted : 10/10/2016 8:04 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, you are having issues with your Montage. Are you able to Save a Montage file to either one of those USB sticks?
Try saving a file, either by creating a User File or record something to the Play/Rec feature and Save as .mid file. See if you can create a file - this will tell us if the drive can be recognized by your instrument.

If you cannot, then we can start troubleshooting by finding out the make, model and size of the USB stick you are attempting to use.

Posted : 10/10/2016 8:43 pm
Topic starter

I got it!
Apparently the update worked.. I just have to figure out how to use the looper now.

Posted : 10/10/2016 8:51 pm
Bad Mister

What looper?

You may be under a mistaken communication. Added with the update is the ability to playback your MIDI recording and have it loop during playback.

I don't consider that a "looper". What you have is a linear recorder with the ability to loop on playback.
Also added with this version update is the ability to create your own Arpeggios.

Arpeggios, as you may know, can loop or be used to play as one shots. I am not privilege to your discussion with whomever you contacted but, the update comes with a Supplemental Manual that explains the new features.

If you have questions you can post back here.

Posted : 10/10/2016 9:13 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

This is a copied and pasted "read me" included in the download.
I'm here on the play/rec settings on the montage, trying to loop in real time. That's the whole point. This keyboard weighs 63 lbs, cost $4000 and you're saying with the update, I can't loop in real time?

I don't understand.
Also, the list of functions added does me no good if there are no directions as to how to utilize said functions.

Fixes and Enhancements

New features;
- Element / Operator Control has been added for ÅgControl Function.Åh
- You can now store Control Function settings as Performance data.
- Song Loop playback function has been added.

Posted : 10/10/2016 9:19 pm
Topic starter

So you're saying, I have to record a part on my laptop and then load it into the montage and put it on loop for there to be any sort of looping action on this thing?
I'm not very good with technology. I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting. I just find it sooooo freaking ridiculous that I should have to purchase a looper and another external device for there to be a simple looping on the keys to be able to create in real time.

Posted : 10/10/2016 9:22 pm
Bad Mister

So you're saying, I have to record a part on my laptop and then load it into the montage and put it on loop for there to be any sort of looping action on this thing?

No, I don't recall saying that. You can record the data in the Montage, or you can record the data on your computer and load it as a .mid file. But what I did say is that it is loop playback capability that was added.

Posted : 10/10/2016 9:48 pm

Wouldn't it be far more flexible to do the looping from within an external sequencer such as Cubase after having recorded your data into it, Rachel.?The version of Cubase AI that is included with the Montage does have this facility so it would save you from having to purchase anything additional.

Posted : 10/10/2016 10:36 pm
Bad Mister

Good call, Steve. Cubase AI allows for both loop record and even step recording. The Montage is both a Midi and audio interface with unprecedented power and flexibility. And moving data between the two is quick and easy!

Posted : 11/10/2016 12:27 am
Topic starter

So I have to download Cubase on a USB drive, transfer it to the montage, and then I'll be able to utilize the looper function?

I'm here at the studio trying to record using the montage as a midi recorder and nothing is coming through. I've downloaded the update. Why do I have to download all these other things just for a computer to recognize the montage?

I never had this issue with my MO8

Posted : 11/10/2016 12:33 am
Topic starter

And is Cubase a program you use on your laptop? Or do you download it and upload it to the montage? I use Logic Pro X
And am trying to use FL Studio

Posted : 11/10/2016 12:35 am
Bad Mister

Cubase can run on a computer or laptop, Windows or PC. But you can use any DAW software you choose. LogicPro X or Fruity Loops Studio... It's your choice.
Simply use the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for your computer type and operating system. The Montage is 16 Part multi-timbal via MIDI, and provides 32 audio Outputs via a single USB connection to your favorite DAW software.

The MO / MOX / MOXF series were synthesizer "workstations"
The Motif, ES / XS / XF series were also synthesizer "workstations" that included the Integrated Sampler.

The Montage series (notice a new name to denote a different focus) are music synthesizers. Not a traditional workstation, at all. It can be used multi-timbrally if you so desire. We recommend you use your favorite DAW software in order to record. The Montage focuses on operating with a computer DAW delivering unprecedented audio touting capability.

Posted : 11/10/2016 12:45 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Rachel wrote:

Also, the list of functions added does me no good if there are no directions as to how to utilize said functions.

There is a "nf" PDF file which does a decent job of walking through the new features. Complete with screen shots of the Montage touchscreen. It is bundled in the firmware .zip file you have already downloaded.

Posted : 11/10/2016 2:13 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us