Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to control cutoff freq for entire Performance, not just elements?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Ben
Topic starter

It seems that when I try to control the cutoff frequency, it's not doing it to the entire performance patch.

How can I do this? Same goes for all effects I guess, I want to effect the performance, not individual elements within the performance.

Posted : 11/05/2018 8:21 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you want quick-and-dirty manual control, press the [TONE] button then twirl Knob 1 (Cutoff).

If you want to see a graphical view of these knobs on the touch screen, press: [PERFORMANCE] -> "Motion Control" -> "Quick Edit" and make sure the PART is set to "COMMON".

Pressing [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) will set this to "COMMON" automatically.

If you want to be able to automate this, then more work may be needed. You can use the "Control Filter" variation effect then SEND all PARTs to Variation. Turn up variation receive to the desired level. You can automate the Variation effect parameter for cutoff which will change cutoff for all PARTs together.

There are many ways to do something similar. Just documenting a few.

Posted : 11/05/2018 9:32 pm

If you want to be able to automate this, then more work may be needed. You can use the "Control Filter" variation effect then SEND all PARTs to Variation. Turn up variation receive to the desired level. You can automate the Variation effect parameter for cutoff which will change cutoff for all PARTs together.

There are many ways to do something similar. Just documenting a few.

Jason.. this is a really good idea.. right now I am just routing montage's master signal path to an external digital mixer that has a cutoff control.. your idea of course uses up a system variation effect.. now wishing for an additional system variation 2 since I usually dedicate that processor to a compressor..

Posted : 14/05/2018 12:10 pm
Bad Mister

As mentioned in the response above when the CUTOFF Knob is turned while [COMMON] is selected you are offsetting all the filters in all Parts that have a Program with a Filter.

If you wish to design control for specific responses, the Super Knob can be programmed to do a different filter movement to each of the 16 Parts... as you may require.

We are not sure what you are going for but you might want to try the “Isolator” as a MASTER EFFECT. The Master Effect, as its name implies, is applied overall. The Isolator allows you to remove frequencies by band, Treble, Mids, Bass... and is a common effect used by DJ’s when they only want high frequencies to pass, so they can “drop that bass” at a certain point. Often better than your standard filter for this type of dance floor effect.

It depends on what you are going for.

Posted : 14/05/2018 12:47 pm

oh thanks BadMister.. now I get it.. didn't realize the fine detail of pressing "Performance Home"" and how the knobs affect the whole performance..

If Yamaha gave us that feature they should also give us the ability to choose a filter type for "Common"..

anyway the Isolator effect is a good idea too..

Posted : 14/05/2018 3:06 pm
Bad Mister

oh thanks BadMister.. now I get it.. didn't realize the fine detail of pressing "Performance Home"" and how the knobs affect the whole performance..

If Yamaha gave us that feature they should also give us the ability to choose a filter type for "Common"..

No, I don’t think you completely get it just yet. The Performance COMMON parameters address all Parts, but the CUTOFF Knob does not adjust a single filter (so you don’t get to select a filter type). Instead moving the CUTOFF knob will change every filter in every Part and adjust it. This could a 24dB/oct Analog filter on your Bass, a Dual 12dB/oct BEF on your clavinet Part, a 6dB/oct BPF on your oboe... etc. so the Cutoff knob is not controlling a single filter it is controlling as many as 8 Filters in each AWM2 Normal Part, a Filter in each FM-X Part, as many as 73 Filters in each AWM2 Drum Part. Yes, it offsets the Cutoff Frequency In all of them at once.

If you have a Part with no Filter assigned on the Part’s Element Level, then turning the CUTOFF Knob will do nothing. It does not control a Filter, it offsets any filter assigned to a Part. Hope that subtle but very important difference is clear... because it is WHY you don’t get to select a Type. On the contrary, each filter in a typical normal AWM2 Part, for example, can select from an amazing 18 different Filter Types on a per Element basis. So within a Part you could be applying a different Filter Type to each Element... and the CUTOFF Knob would offset the Cutoff Frequency of Each Filter when moved.

And what MONTAGE a MONTAGE, is you can control any one of them, all of them and to a dizzying degree, any combination of them, by direct assignment. It’s as deep as you want to go!

Posted : 14/05/2018 3:22 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us