Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN LIBRARY

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Sorry guys i am still new to Montage, correct me if i am wrong, so to create my own personalized library using my own samples i first have to load them into the user area edit them if needed and then i can save those samples loaded in user to usb library? thanks let me know.

Posted : 29/03/2018 6:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

A user library does not require user samples. You can take presets and reconfigure them (change parameters, controls, etc) - using all the internal waveforms and save those as user Performances. Then save your user area to a library file (X7L).

Yes, using your own samples is one option. Anything that you do within the user area can be saved off as a library.

Posted : 29/03/2018 6:22 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for clarifying makes it much easier, i had created some libraries using the motif waveform editor, so that being said if i wanted to make 5 different libraries with different sounds i have to delete the entire user bank put the new sounds in and save them under a different library name and then reload them again?

Posted : 29/03/2018 7:05 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you have custom performances in your user area and do not want them to be part of the library, then I would save everything (just in case) as an X7A (full backup) - then wipe the user area only. Then assemble what you want into the user area for your library and save off the library. Then restore the backup (X7A) and load the library into a library slot if you wanted to start using your newly created library right away.

Posted : 29/03/2018 7:45 pm
Bad Mister

JOSUE,
A good way to think about it is that the MONTAGE User Bank can consist of the following items:
640 Performances
256 Arpeggios
2048 Waveforms
256 Motion Sequences
32 Curves
2048 Live Set slots
8 MicroTunings

When you SAVE (create a file) from this data you can save it as a USER File (.X7U) or you can create a LIBRARY File (.X7L)

The .X7U File will point all Waveforms to a portion of the memory designated ‘User’. You are able to edit and store changes to data only while it is in this memory area. This memory area will be overwritten by the next .X7U File loaded. You always SAVE any new work you do a File... if you did no new work then overwriting this area is of no concern.

The .X7L File will point all Waveforms to the permanent portion of the memory which will remain as a ROM Library. When data has been installed to a Library, it is no longer a trivial matter to change what is stored... much like the Factory Presets, you cannot permanently change a Factory Preset... that can only be accomplished by re-burning the ROM Chip. Because a Library is like your own personal set of “preset”, a similar rule applies.

If you save your current User Bank data as a Library File, you are creating a File that can WRITE TO the permanent Flash Library area. (Creating the File is the first step, Load it to actually install the data)

A Library contains all the User items listed above... frozen in amber, so to speak, and placed in your Flash memory so you can always access them. And you can do this eight times!!!
The act of saving as... “Library File” rewrites each Part containing a custom Waveform with the new Library Waveform address it creates. This way the Performance Part and the Waveforms that make them work are always together.

The USER Bank is completely overwritten anytime you LOAD data into it. This is quite normal and no more significant than erasing a blackboard between classes. You can *append* (add additional data) to your current User Bank by IMPORTING data from an existing Library or by creating the data directly in the User Bank.

Summary:
A Library is an *ink copy* of the User Bank.

Each Library is permanent version of a complete User setup (less the utility settings)

Posted : 29/03/2018 9:19 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, think i got the idea now, i'm still learning all this, and learning by trial and error but would like to do it right the first time, thanks again.

Posted : 29/03/2018 10:07 pm

640 Performances
256 Arpeggios
2048 Waveforms
256 Motion Sequences
32 Curves
2048 Live Set slots
8 MicroTunings

Is each User Library (.X7L) area a full unique set of these?

Posted : 30/03/2018 12:17 am
Bad Mister

Aaron,
Yes, yes, exactly.

With Waveforms there is a 1.75GB maximum for the FLASH that when reached will prevent you from loading any more... in other words, as soon as you reach 1.75GB your Flash memory is full, even if you have not reached the Waveform number maximum

This is why it is very important to realize the purpose of the USER Bank.

Every time I run into to someone who says, “I don’t want to overwrite my User Bank”... I realize I’m talking to someone not yet comfortable with how it works.

If you don’t want to overwrite your User... then make it a Library File and install it!
You need your USER Bank... it’s like your blank canvas. It’s where you do your work.

Extra Credit: I keep a USER File that represents ideas I’m currently working on, I put the letters ‘wip’ (work in progress) in the name, so I know it is not a completed Bank... I then can add any new ideas to it when I need to.

Mostly when I’m working out new Performances, I make extensive use of MONTAGE CONNECT, it allows me to keep the core Performance programming safely on my computer. I can access it at anytime, with just a click, and I never have to worry about overwriting or losing any work.

Posted : 30/03/2018 1:01 am

In order to get the newest firmware I want to make a backup. So I google a tutorial-movie and it says:

Utility --> Save --> Contents --> choose "Backup file"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifzXf5VePKw&t=7s

But my firmware is 1.10.6 and there no "Backup file" to choose...

Apparantly I have made a backup in the past, because on my USB-stick I can see a Back Up.X7U file. But I forgot how I did that...

So what do I do?

I have samples also in my current setup and after I upgrade the Montage to 2.0 I would like to put everything back like before.

Thx.

Posted : 05/05/2018 9:45 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Version 1.10 is too old.

This feature requires fairly recent firmware as the backup option was added in firmware version 1.50

The "backup all" feature is NOT an X7U. X7U is the user area only. An X7L is one of the library areas only.

What I would do in your position is to save the user area to a USB stick (X7U) and save all of my libraries to a USB stick (X7L) - one for each library slot used. I'd name the libraries according to the order in the list of libraries. First in the list - I'd call it "Library1". Second in the list - I'd call it "Library2". You could add the library name also if you want like "Library1 - Chick Corea EP" and "Library2 - FM Xperience" (as examples). The reason why I'd name by the library number is because it's important to load them back in the right order when restoring in order to keep the links in order. Note: you will usually have the original library files saved somewhere else -- I suggest redundant saving so you have everything together "at the ready" as well as having a paper trail for the order of loading the libraries after updating firmware.

The bad thing about v2.0 is that there are some cases where the links get severed because of a choice made in v2.0 to change the mapping of performances. Don't get bogged down in this -- you may or may not see the error depending on your live sets or song and performance usage (as examples). Regardless - if you've saved off your Montage as outlined - then you'll have nearly everything you need and the "bug" in v2.0 may get addressed later. This is something to be aware of if it seems like there's something "wrong" after the update. Hopefully everything will restore fine for you.

Posted : 06/05/2018 4:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us