Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to I save the Remote settings once they been changed?

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Dean
Topic starter

I'm using the sliders in the Remote section of the Montage to send CC# 21 to 28 to Spitfire libraries in Kontakt.

Problem is, when I turn the Montage Off and On again, I lose the Remote settings. Anyway of saving the new Remote settings?

Thanks!

Posted : 10/09/2020 8:12 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

According to a previous email, the settings should remain between power cycles. Is your DAW remote mode set to "Plugin" (vs "Track" or "Transport" )? Plugin is the mode where sliders transmit custom CC values.

As an aside, I've seen custom settings not restore from a power cycle when Yamaha feedback was that it should (for me the other function was custom quick setting templates). Given my past experience, I wouldn't be surprised if this same behavior would surface in other functions.

Posted : 10/09/2020 3:14 pm
 Dean
Topic starter

Hey Jason, the Montage Remote is set to Plugin.

Are you saying there's a bug with custom settings when saving Remote changes? I wonder if Yamaha is aware of this...

Posted : 10/09/2020 4:24 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

No, I'm saying that there's a different feature on Montage - not related to DAW remote - that's supposed to save the settings through power cycles and I have not seen this other feature work as advertised. So I wouldn't be surprised if this type of behavior (some setting not preserved through power cycles) - which is what you describe - is happening.

I haven't tested on this side the DAW remote settings. Haven't used it yet.

Posted : 10/09/2020 5:24 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Ok - I tested "Remote" in "Plugin" mode and it works for me.

Make sure you press the "Edit" button in the upper-right corner of the remote screen which shows the sliders. If you are not in edit mode, the sliders will show the "CC Val" which is NOT the setting for the CC number assigned to the slider. A MIDI CC message has two parameters. The CC number and the value assigned to that CC number. As a made up example: you may assign CC #28 to mean a VST's setting for a rotating speaker speed for that VST. So CC Num = 28. And the value would be the position of the slider (all the up = 127, all the way down = 0). When you slide the slider UP - you're increasing the rotating speaker speed. And this speed is a consequence of the VALUE. Values are not saved - and do not need to be. But NUMBERs are.

... so press the "Edit" button in the upper-right. You'll notice the label next to the sliders changes from "CC Val" to "CC Num". And you'll see the current CC numbers. You can then change these and, in the upper-right, press "Done" to save. Then you can power off and go back into remote and should see that pressing "Edit" will show the numbers you previously modified.

Posted : 10/09/2020 5:45 pm
 Dean
Topic starter

Hey Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to figure out the "Edit to bring up the CC numbers" yesterday. Although, the issue I was having yesterday isn't occurring today. I just turned the Montage Off and On again and the settings kept. So that's great.

Couple questions though...

1) If the Montage isn't displaying the Remote > Plugin window, the sliders stop working when I try to alter the levels in Kontakt. Is this normal? In other words, Is it necessary to have the window showing Remote > Plugin in order to utilize that feature?

2) I have saved Performance in User. How do I get the saved Performance to appear automatically after I turn On the Montage?

3) Regarding the KbdCtrl, the information on the Sweetwater site says I need to turn Off KbdCtrl for each part or else it will play all the Parts that are in that Performance. Is it not necessary to leave one KbdCtrl turned On? I'm asking because when I go from the Performance page with my own setup to Utility and back to the Performance page, my Kontakt instrument no longer sounds, unless I have one KbdCtrl On.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/yamaha-montage-daw-setup-and-recording/

Thanks again!

Posted : 10/09/2020 8:37 pm
Bad Mister

1) If the Montage isn't displaying the Remote > Plugin window, the sliders stop working when I try to alter the levels in Kontakt. Is this normal? In other words, Is it necessary to have the window showing Remote > Plugin in order to utilize that feature?

Yes. Think of this as you are addressing completely different entities.

When [REMOTE] is not selected — the entire front panel operates the MONTAGE.
When [REMOTE] is selected — the front panel can address the Computer DAW

Once Remote is activated you have three Modes across the bottom
“Track” _ you are now communicating with your DAWs Tracks (Audio, MIDI, etc) the Knobs can do Pan, the Sliders are Track Faders, you’ll see the Names of your Track appear in the screen, the Scene buttons are F(unction) buttons 1-8.
On “Control 2” are your other Controllers RB, FC1/2, Switches, etc., etc.

“Plugin” _ you are now communicating with your soft synth plugin in your DAW. The Knobs , the Sliders and the Scene buttons are now assignable to CC numbers as you desire to control the specific plugin.
On “Control 2” are your other Controllers RB, FC1/2, Switches, etc., etc.

”Transport” _ you are now able to control the internal MONTAGE without leaving the REMOTE layer so you can easily switch from playing and controlling your plugin, to playing and controlling an internal sound. The Knobs can be your Part Assign Knob, while the Sliders are Element/Operator Levels, and Scenes are Scenes. you can also make the 8 Knob Pan, or 8 Reverb Sends, or 8 Variation Sends. You can also make them the 24 Quick Edit parameters in three sets of 8... all while the Transport control works to control the DAW. You can see the use for this when playing along with a DAW, that is running both plugin synths and you’re playing the MONTAGE, as well.

So what’s on the front panel of the Remote layer at any moment is determined by the option you have active, currently.

2) I have saved Performance in User. How do I get the saved Performance to appear automatically after I turn On the Montage?

You can tell your MONTAGE on which Performance to power up...
_ Call up the User Performance you wish your MONTAGE to power up on.
_ Place it in the LIVE SET area...as follows:
Hold [SHIFT] + [LIVE SET] to place your selection in the first available User Bank Live Set slot... The Live Set slot will be flashing white... you can tap any location you want to place it.

Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “System” > set the “Power on Mode” = LIVE SET
Tap the box that says “Set Current Slot“
You will see a drop down that verifies “Initial Live Set: “xxxxxx”
And the location will be shown on the screen.

3) Regarding the KbdCtrl, the information on the Sweetwater site says I need to turn Off KbdCtrl for each part or else it will play all the Parts that are in that Performance. Is it not necessary to leave one KbdCtrl turned On? I'm asking because when I go from the Performance page with my own setup to Utility and back to the Performance page, my Kontakt instrument no longer sounds, unless I have one KbdCtrl On.

If you wish to recall a Performance that you use for sequence playback — meaning you do not want the Keys to trigger any sounds, internal or external, then you would STORE the Performance with no KBD CTRL active.

Example, you want to use your MONTAGE for playback only... you may want to have the MONTAGE play a warmup set before the band comes on stage... you don’t want anybody just walking up and jamming. No KBD CTRL = they cant play! Playback only... because you’d need to *select* a Part for it to sound in response to key presses.

How did we get here:
When you are going to use the MONTAGE as a 16-Part multi-timbral tone engine, it is recommended that you activate the KEYBOARD CONTROL LOCK.
From the HOME screen, tap the FX icon on the very top line, to take the shortcut to the screen where you can set Bypass functions.
Find “KBD CTRL LOCK” = ON

what this does is activate the KBD CTRL icon on Part 1. And turns it Off on all other Parts. As you add “+” new Parts, you will immediately be playing just that added Part.

Where this comes from is this: say you start sequencing with a Preset Performance e.Piano... you lay down some chords outlining your composition’s changes... now you want to add a Drum Kit... normally, when you tap “+” to add (merge) a new Performance to the existing E.Piano, it would automatically activate KBD CTRL — assuming you want to play it simultaneously... but if you are sequencing you expressly DO NOT WANT the KBD CTRL to activate. You want to add a Part to play by itself.

With KBD CTRL LOCK = ON when you are HOME or on the upper Common level of the architecture... Part 1 is active
When you want to play something else... every other Part you *select* it directly, you will be selecting that Part to play directly and alone.

Why KBD CTRL LOCK to Part 1? ... it is assumed when you create a Sequence that you will use as backing tracks... your LEAD instrument - the one *youg are going to play live - will be in Part 1. And when the Performance is initially recalled — your lead sound is active and ready to play.

Each of the potential slots can address either an internal MONTAGE Part or it can be setup to be a ZONE that addresses an external device. The Sweetwater item is not wrong, it is just not always what you want.

When you wish to recall a Performance with the device that you want ready-to-play, you need to have KBD CTRL active on that slot.

You don’t have to use Slot 1... the LOCK uses Part 1 because it’s logical when you view it from backing tracks and you playing lead.
When the KBD CTRL LOCK is On, selecting any Part 1-16 ensures that only that one Part will play.
It also ensures that when you return to [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] the one slot you want to sound is already to play!

You can use Part 1 with the Zone = On, INT SW = Off, and the Transmit Ch set to play your external device.

Posted : 10/09/2020 10:52 pm
 Dean
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it.

I've been diving into the Montage the last few days and it's pretty complex. This will help a great deal.

Posted : 11/09/2020 12:07 am
 Dean
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

Regarding answer number 3 above, I'm a little confused.

For this example, say the Montage is strictly a controller, and I'm using it with Pro Tools to control my libraries (instruments) in Kontakt. EX: Spitfire library.

When the Montage display is showing the saved Performance settings with all Parts disabled, when I get out of that window and then back into it again, when I play the Montage the instrument I'm playing in the Spitfire library no longer sounds, "unless" I activate one Part. Is this normal behavior?

I hope I'm making sense. 🙂

Thanks again!

Posted : 11/09/2020 12:24 am
 Dean
Topic starter

I think I figured it out.

Example 1

- In Performance, All Kbd Ctrl OFF
- Hit Remote
- Press Performance (Home)
- No sound from virtual instrument

Example 2

- In Performance, All Kbd Ctrl OFF
- Hit Remote
- Press Home on Display
- Virtual instruments still sounds

I imagine this is the way it's supposed to work? Thanks!

Posted : 11/09/2020 1:02 am
Bad Mister

For this example, say the Montage is strictly a controller

You should setup a Performance specifically for this purpose. Once you create this Performance — which will contain a single KBD CTRL slot active; it will be designed specifically to act as an external controller. You will Name and Store it. You can then get this Part slot whenever you need it. It will be the same as any other Single Part Performance except instead of triggering an internal MONTAGE Part, it will Transmit Out via MIDI (on the Channel you designate).

In [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced” > Set the “Zone Master” = On

Start with an “Init Normal (AWM2)” Performance
Yes, KBD CTRL = ON
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Part Settings” > “Zone Settings”
Set the “Zone” = On
Set the “Int Sw” = Off (This defeats the Internal Tone Generator)
Set the “Transmit Ch = x

You probably will not need “Bank Select”, “Program Change” — set these to Off
Decide if you want to preset a Volume or Pan position. Leave Volume On so you can control the external device with the Part Slider
You can set a Note Range, and you can set the Octave and the Transpose as you require for your external device.
Press [STORE]
Name and Store this Performance to your User Bank... name it “External Control” or something that reminds you what this is used for... something that reminds you this is a setup for use with DAW Plugins... you will be able to ‘merge’ and copy and search and recall this External Control setup same as you would be able to ‘merge’, copy, search and recall it the same as every AWM2 or FM-X program!

When KBD CTRL is active on Part 1, you can use this Part/Zone slot to control your plugins.
If you wish to use the MONTAGE as both a controller and a Tone Generator... you can combine this Zone/Part slot with as many as seven KBD CTRL Part slots — each set to control either an internal sound (Int Sw = On) or an external sound (Int Sw = Off, Transit Ch = x)

You can see with Zone settings how you can setup multiple Parts — some external, some internal — split and/or layered across the range. The Part slots with KBD CTRL active will be ACTIVE. when you go to REMOTE.

It is a rule: MONTAGE rules apply... if you have KBD CTRL active and ready, it will remain active when you activate the Remote... if however, you select Part slot 13 when you activate the Remote, you will be transmitting via the settings in that Part slot!

What I want you to understand is: KBD CTRL can be active (green) but you can directly *select* another Part slot... that action overrides KBD CTRL. When you have a KBD CTRL icon active on a Part — it will sound as long as no individual non-KBD CTRL Part is *directly selected*

It is a mistake to think that because you see KBD CTRL icons that they are the ones sounding. It only indicates when the condition is right the KBD CTRL linked Parts behave as a group. As soon as you select any other Part - you are playing that selected Part.

Again. If all KBD CTRL icons are Off, you must directly *select* a Part slot to have a chance of making anything sound.
Take your time...

Posted : 11/09/2020 3:07 am
 Dean
Topic starter

Thank you, Phil. I appreciate your time and patience. Very well explained.

Posted : 11/09/2020 3:43 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us