Notifications
Clear all

How to sample?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

So it took me about 2 weeks to transfer approx. 100 regularly used “Motif XS Masters”, including many performances. I brought it on stage (as the Motif replacement) and now I’ve started “upgrading” several sounds and exploring FM-X.
I’m using an old XV5050 synth module too in my live-setup. It has some “unique” sound I’d like to sample and I’d like to transfer these sounds to my Montage too. Long time ago I had a sampler, so I know the principle. I know Montage doesn’t have real sampling capabilities but can play them.
What be the best way to go/which software should I use in order to sample and delete the XV5050 from my setup? I have the equipment to record XV5050-voices/waves into WAV-files and I do want “to loop” the samples.

Posted : 27/06/2016 6:08 pm
Christine

You can use almost any audio software to record the output of other synths. I've used Audacity - which is free and cross platform but any DAW or recording software should do.

If you want to make looping samples then WAVosaurus (on Windows) or Loop Manager (Mac) will turn normal WAVs into loops for loading onto the Montage. I've done this and it works really well apart from the C5 bug I mentioned in these forums! Just drop the WAV onto a USB stick, pop it into the Montage and load a custom waveform from the element screen. Have fun!

Posted : 27/06/2016 7:09 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

So as a test I recorded a WAV-file.
Synth --> Soundcraft Si Compact --> Cubase.
I trimmed the file and put loop points in it. Wavosaur is easy to use here. When I try to load this WAV, Montage says; illegal file. I'll try it again tomorow but I have no idea what's gone wrong.

Posted : 29/06/2016 10:09 pm
Bad Mister

What are the attributes of the .wav? What sample rate, what word length?

I have no idea what's gone wrong.

ILLEGAL FILE means it is not the right thing!

Posted : 30/06/2016 2:31 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

What are the attributes of the .wav? What sample rate, what word length?

2 sec & 28 sec
48 kHz / 1536 Kbps Mono
0,4 Mb & 5,13 Mb

Also the converted 44,1 kHz / 1058 Kbps / 24 bit Mono files are illegal

Posted : 30/06/2016 5:12 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

44,1 kHz - 16 bit - Stereo works, However Montage doesn't seem to notice the wavosaur loop points yet. It plays "one shots"...

Posted : 30/06/2016 7:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us