Notifications
Clear all

How To Send Prg Ch Messages Over MIDI But Not Note Data

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Doug
Topic starter

Hi. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

What I'd like to do is have the Montage send program changes but *not* note on data to an external keyboard, a Korg Kronos. I've been unable to find a MIDI filter switch on the Kronos to turn off incoming note on data. I've also been unable to accomplish this using a "dummy" part in a performance to send the data on any channel.

The Korg wants to see incoming program changes for entire combinations (think Performances) on it's global MIDI channel, but that's also the channel it uses for local keyboard note on as well. I can't filter incoming note on data on the Kronos either, so it's either turning off outgoing note on data from the Montage or simply living with the situation.

BTW, I have a degree in computer engineering, so I'm really good at figuring things out most of the time. I'm also good at following instructions. 😉

I'm also a huge fan of the Montage. It may not have quite the same feature set as the Motif, but it's been a great board for live work. The Kronos is great, but it's touchscreen is very finicky and requires very fine touch, to the point where I usually try to use a stylus. Not really practical playing live. The Montage might take a little work to figure out how to get something done, but it's workflow is so easy that it's become my go-to board for quick layers and zones in rehearsal and unscheduled sound selection live.

As an engineer, I understand that often people like to know why a problem exists, so for those of you who need this, here's the skinny. I play mostly live, using a USS Apex stand that works well for a lot of reasons. This stand allows for a certain amount of vertical positioning, which does affect where the keyboard sits on the front-to-back axis, but you can't tilt either keyboard. The Montage is a pretty deep board physically, nearly 16" deep, and so even raised as high as I can get it and still let it be playable it masks the Kronos' display. I can see it if I bend over, but it's hard enough to read as it is and sometimes I need to make a very fast patch change at a gig. Rather than look for new stands that will be easily portable and give me a better view of the Kronos, I figured I'd just connect a MIDI cable from one to the other and send program messages to select sounds from the Kronos' Set List. And that's why I don't want note in data, just program changes. I don't even need bank changes.

Posted : 16/09/2016 10:41 pm
Eminent Member

My workflow is following

I use one part for controlling an external device (f.e. part 8)
go to PART SETTINGS -> ZONE SETTINGS

-> note limit = G8 - G8

practically you're not sending note data anymore

At ZONE TRANSMIT, you can choose which control data you would like to transmit/block

----

I made one typical performance (f.e. Kronos INIT) which I can import to other performances (f.e. to part 8). Now I have a this part 8 for controlling a Kronos where all normal settings are set. Like
Zone = ON
Transmit Channel
Note limit
MSB / LSB

----

Please note that using parts 9 - 16 for this purpose might cause problems (v.120). See my discussion:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/v1-20-serious-midi-problem

PS The zones of all parts should to be set to ON (part settings / zone settings) otherwise parts will still be sending note data anyway.

Posted : 17/09/2016 8:48 am
 Doug
Topic starter

I tried this, almost exactly, but did not consider turning zones on in all parts, which seemed counterintuitive. However, I see now that it uses the note range for outgoing data only if set on. I will try this later this morning and report back on whether it worked or not. Thanks, this will save me a lot of pain in performance!

Posted : 17/09/2016 4:36 pm
 Doug
Topic starter

Got it to work. Took some doing, as the test patch also had a part for an external keyboard in slot 9. The thing that threw me was when the program change patch was active nothing sounded on the keyboard at all, but selecting a different slot played correctly.

This seems like a very convoluted way of doing this. It would be nice if the Live Set slot could send bank/program changes without all the gyrations. Something for a future firmware update, perhaps, I can't imagine it would be difficult to include unless there is an architectural reason why it couldn't. And yes, I have written code professionally.

Thanks for your help!

Posted : 17/09/2016 6:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us