Notifications
Clear all

I can't get USB to work for Montage 8

23 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

[quotePost id=117743]

Unrelated question, do you know of a keyboard stand adequate for the Montage 8 that has wheels?

I can't recommend using a keyboard stand with wheels even if you find one.

The Montage weighs over 60 pounds. A keyboard needs to be rock-steady. Anything on wheels isn't going to do that job.

This Z-Frame is not only steady but is easily disassembled into relatively flat pieces for moving or storing. Heavy duty steel isn't going to bend or warp over time regardless of humidity or temp.
https://www.kraftmusic.com/on-stage-ks360-heavy-duty-folding-z-keyboard-stand.html

Some might consider it a little pricey at ~$90 but a stand is the last place you want to cut corners.

If you are concerned about movability/mobility these cargo dollies are what work best for me and are only about $25 apiece.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-800-lb-Capacity-Furniture-Dolly-33815/202721481

Small, portable, inexpensive. We use them in pairs to move keyboards. Lift one end of the stand and put one underneath - same for the other end. Then wheel it away.

We move speakers, cabinets and most anything.

You WILL regret skimping on a good keyboard stand.

[/quotePost]Thanks Bill. I'm not planning on skimping on anything. I generally don't ever skimp. I hear you. Those little wheel rollers I have. I bought when I needed to move my upright. But that's not the problem. The problem is lifting the keyboard. So those mobile wheels still require I lift the keyboard and placing it on the wheels to move. Or placing a sturdy stand on them semi permanently? That'd very unstable with it rolling all over the place. Then again the height would be messed up. I'm only guess because really I'm a guitarist.

No, what I'm looking for is a very sturdy keyboard stand, singe tiered, that has locking wheels. Thank you. It's not crucial.

Posted : 05/07/2022 7:06 pm
Topic starter

Back again. When I bought this I wasn't planning on moving it until I see now that USB isn't working for me.

USB update: When I bring the Montage into the control room and hook it up directly it works immediately. But when I connect it to the connector in the tracking room no go. But I don't know that I need it. I'm not interested in using it as an audio interface. I'm taking the audio out with DI's to my audio interface anyway.

My new question: Even when not using a hub, coming directly out of the Mac going into the wall connectors it doesn't work. So either one of the cables in not good or the length is too much. Is there a USB power extender? I mean there are hubs that extend USB power, right? Midi works so I'm not sure why I'm stressing over this. Just don't want to miss any connectivity advantages after purchasing such a big item. Thanks.

I'm going to replace one of the USB cables; the one that goes from Mac Pro to the wall. I can't replacing the cable inside the wall. I'd guess the length is 20-25 feet.

Posted : 09/07/2022 4:35 pm
Topic starter

OK, but it works perfectly well for me ReMote Compact 25SL.

Posted : 09/07/2022 9:11 pm
Topic starter

OK. So I changed the cable going from the Mac to the wall and it appears to work. The able there is a little shorter. That might be it but also I've been doing this studio thing for a VERY long time. It's quite possible the cable I used there was very old. Perhaps 1.0? Anyway it appears to be working. If it's unstable, that's OK at this point. Midi is working. And I have 50 analog I/O so audio over USB isn't super necessary. Thank you.

Posted : 09/07/2022 10:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Many, many times the issue has ended up being a cable.

... I think this is the long and short of it.

It seems your USB cable length exceeds spec. That's invalid. You'll need to possibly rewire your studio with proper lengths, cabling, etc. Or use valid external cabling bypassing your in-wall cabling.

Along with the voltage droop due to long cable lengths, the length requirements also exist to define the maximum round-trip propagation delay and meeting timing. If the length is too long, a properly designed USB controller will encounter a timeout condition.

You can extend USB using hubs or active cables. Using hubs, you can cascade a maximum of 5 hubs. Each segment connecting keyboard to hub, hub to hub, ... hub to hub ..., hub to computer needs to be 13.6ft max. Matching 12ft segments may be best if going this route.

Whatever you do, ensure you are designing your studio to the applicable technology specs for compliance. Otherwise, expect failures.

Posted : 10/07/2022 12:31 am
Topic starter

[quotePost id=117816]

That might be it but also I've been doing this studio thing for a VERY long time.

Likely MUCH longer than I have.

It's quite possible the cable I used there was very old.

And it's quite possible that 'Rodney Dangerfield' cable just doesn't have any respect for how long you've been doing that studio thing.

Some cables are like that. I'm sure you've seen studios/workshops with cables running across the floor where people can step on them, roll office chairs across them and even furniture dollies.

With cheaper cables just bending them too much when you coil them up to stick them in a drawer can cause stress fractures.

Cables are NOT the place to penny pinch by any means - I'm sure that you, like me, use the best cables you can find. They are definitely worth it.

Glad you found a solution.[/quotePost]Bill - You keep talking about penny pinching! LOL. I don't do that. LOL.

Posted : 10/07/2022 3:04 am
Topic starter

[quotePost id=117817]

Many, many times the issue has ended up being a cable.

... I think this is the long and short of it.

It seems your USB cable length exceeds spec. That's invalid. You'll need to possibly rewire your studio with proper lengths, cabling, etc. Or use valid external cabling bypassing your in-wall cabling.

Along with the voltage droop due to long cable lengths, the length requirements also exist to define the maximum round-trip propagation delay and meeting timing. If the length is too long, a properly designed USB controller will encounter a timeout condition.

You can extend USB using hubs or active cables. Using hubs, you can cascade a maximum of 5 hubs. Each segment connecting keyboard to hub, hub to hub, ... hub to hub ..., hub to computer needs to be 13.6ft max. Matching 12ft segments may be best if going this route.

Whatever you do, ensure you are designing your studio to the applicable technology specs for compliance. Otherwise, expect failures.
[/quotePost]Yes. It's a pretty high end studio. And I haven't penny pinched anywhere. But with several rooms length is an issue. I get the high end cables for everything. Not ridiculously expensive audiofile mic cables but not cheap by any means. I look for the best I can afford. As I said I have 50 anolg I/O of high end mic pres and DI boxes and outboard gear. So I'm doing what I can.

Posted : 10/07/2022 3:08 am
Member Admin

Now that Logic and the Editor are visible in audio/midi, Logic is still not recording midi data and the Editor still indicates that it is not linked. https://yamahasynth.com/forum/i-can-t-get-usb-to-work-for-montage-8/ snow rider 3d

Posted : 23/09/2022 1:42 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us