Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible to control the super knob by midi

19 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I want to control the super knob with an external keytar (roland). Is it possible by midi or usb?
How can I set it up?

Posted : 02/06/2016 12:32 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, we don't know the capabilities of your Roland product.
What you can do is get a Yamaha FC7, connect it to the Foot Controll 2 jack on the back panel of the Montage. The Foot Controllers of the Montage can control the Super Knob. You can place that Foot Pedal on stage where you're holding your keytar-thing.

Posted : 02/06/2016 5:45 pm
Topic starter

So the super knob can only be controled by the fc7 pedal?
Can you confirm it's not possible by midi or usb? Whatever the external keyboard I use.
I can buy another keytar if needed.

Posted : 03/06/2016 6:28 am
Bad Mister

Well, obviously it can be recorded and played back via MIDI and USB. The question is can the controller generate System Exclusive messages.

Posted : 03/06/2016 10:06 am
Topic starter

Ok. Tanks for your positive answer.
So How set it up to send and recieve sysex ?
Actually when I plug it to my cubase, there is nothing sent (of course no filters on)
And I did not find anything in the manual.

Posted : 03/06/2016 10:45 am
Bad Mister

Montage and Cubase Setup Guide

You need to make settings in order to record System Exclusive, the above article will help.

Posted : 03/06/2016 12:35 pm
Topic starter

Do you think that with a later O.S. It Will be possible to control the super knob with a simple Contol Change?

Posted : 03/06/2016 11:49 pm
Bad Mister

Do you think that with a later O.S. It Will be possible to control the super knob with a simple Contol Change?

Definitely not. To understand why is to begin to understand why Montage is different.

CC messages are channel messages. Take cc010, Pan, for example, you send that message everything on the channel pans to wherever you set the value. Super Knob addresses the tone generator with a System Exclusive message that can be interpreted in the tone generator to send multiple destinations panning in different directions with differing amounts. The single string of data can be divided to different components within the program to send unique pan commands to different components.

If you are using cc74 to open filter cutoff on a synth pad/e.piano layer, both sounds filters will be affected or you can block the message to one of them.
The Super Knob can uniquely open the filter on the synth pad and close the filter on the e.piano, with a single gesture. It can address things across 8 Parts. Obviously, it is more flexible than simple Control Change commands... which are limited to addressing all items on the channel.

So no, that would be moving backward. What makes the Super Knob and all the Assignable Knobs unique (super) is their ability to control multiple things, with entirely different amounts, and even move in opposite scalable, programmable directions.

So that's a definite, no.

Posted : 04/06/2016 6:03 am
Topic starter

I understand.
But, today, I have a red keyboard, Witch does the same. It's possible to control filters, volume, with different amounts in different direction. These moves can be assigned to one or several controllers (modulation wheel, pedal, or after touch). The control change moves the controller, but the result is what I have programmed for that move.
It should be the same with the super knob.
The FC7 pedal sends a control 7, the result is not the volume change, but what the super knob has been programmed before.
Please, if you do that, I Will change the color of my keyboard;)
The super knob controls everything we want. It's very important to control it by midi easily, in real time, on stage.
The montage has a big touch screen, an arpegiator and sequencer synchronisable with an external source (real drummer), and a lot of things made for stage, that could make me buy it.
But It's imperative for me to control the super knob from anywhere on stage (what I do everyday with my red keyboard).
It's just a question of O.S. Update.
Hope...

Posted : 06/06/2016 9:13 am
Bad Mister

To be clear: plug the FC7 into Foot Controller 2 jack on the back of the Montage, the default for all 1920 Presets is for it to control the Super Knob.
So your point/question is what, exactly?

Posted : 06/06/2016 12:00 pm
Walter

Fouet wrote:

I guess I'm not the only one looking for this feature...

Walt

Posted : 03/07/2016 7:02 pm
Christine

I agree with Bad Mister that controlling the Superknob via CC makes no sense. However this SYSEX format for the Edirol PCR-xxx range of keyboards works πŸ™‚

F0 43 10 7F 1C 02 30 4B 00 DT F7

Where DT is the value you want to send.

Posted : 04/07/2016 1:32 pm
Bad Mister

Correct. This will move the Super Knob, which is the first 'gear' in the system, what those who think a cc message would suffice and that editing this stream work fix some control gesture they've made, are not yet seeing the bigger picture.

The Super Knob outputs a single string of information, where the data byte 00-7F (0-127). But it can be linked to a dozen or more other parameters via the Part's own directly assigned ASSIGN KNOBs, so fixing the Super Knob string by editing it does NOT necessarily accomplish the one thing you wanted to fix. (Say it's the filter movement of Part 3's Element 7's LPF) remember this is multi dimensional control -other gears are linked and scaled to its movement. Don't let it hurt your head, But if your workflow has been to "fix things in the mix" by drawing cc messages in your DAW, the Montage is more for those who want to "fix it at the source". There is a name for this "fix it at the source" thing

It's called synth programming, and is a core word behind this being a Music Synthesizer. Editing the Super Knob String does not necessarily fix just one thing but certainly fixes (or messes up) scores of things! If you don't like the way you performed the Super Knob movement because it changed Part 3's seventh Elements filter too radically, the solution is not cc messages, it's found in your assignment of Part3's assign knob which is assigned to directly control Element 7's LPF cutoff amount - which can be individually scaled and set to respond in degree and direction via its link to the Super Knob. So moving the Super Knob does something unique to Part 3, Element 7 and something entirely different to Part 5, Element 1... Same gesture, entirely different result. (Are you hearing Montage?)

Hope that helps. If not, please see the Programming Basics series for a peek at what is really happening under the Montage hood! Simplified.

Posted : 04/07/2016 2:15 pm
Walter

Walter wrote:

Fouet wrote:

I guess I'm not the only one looking for this feature...

Walt

"Bad Mister8 hours ago
Let's just say, it's not the way you say because it wouldn't work, period. If you read through the Programming Basics articles perhaps it will start to make sense. I'm not going to argue with you or others... But I'm not going to just smile and tell you "Okay we'll work on it" because although that might make you feel better and stop momentarily your complaining, but, it would make me feel terrible, for not telling you why your request is way off base!

Cars don't fly, I could tell we are working on it, but I'd feel terrible. So it's not you, it's me! :)"

Cars do fly! Check out http://www.terrafugia.com. BTW, I didn't think we were "arguing”, but having a technical discussion, and I was not β€œcomplaining”, just requesting…Happy July 4th!

Walt

Posted : 04/07/2016 4:03 pm
Bad Mister

I know you were not arguing... only put the shoes on if they fit... Those arguing and complaining feel the tight fit! πŸ™‚

Posted : 04/07/2016 4:40 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us