Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible to control the super knob by midi

19 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Walter

Christine wrote:

I agree with Bad Mister that controlling the Superknob via CC makes no sense...

If you can control the Superknob via the foot pedal which just sends a ratiometrically derived CV, (the same way a foot pedal controls volume) then why not have the capability to optionally control it with a CC? (I'm not arguing or complaing, just trying to learn) 😀 Keep in mind that I don't do live performances anymore. Lugging a trailer full of equipment with 4 other musicians 3 or 4 times every weekend for 40 years was enough! (Not to mention my day job as an Electronics Design Engineer. I was much younger...)I just relax now in my home recording studio and make music along with my son in Japan. I'm happy.

FWIW: I didn't travel from AZ to IN to go to Sweetwater Gearfest to buy anything, just because I could. Between my Roland Jupiter 80, Integra 7 and a huge amount of softsynths, I didn't really need another hardware synth. When I heard/played the Montage though, I bought it on the spot, realizing that it was more oriented for live Gigs, but did like the sounds and had enough room in my studio for another keyboard.

Christine wrote: However this SYSEX format for the Edirol PCR-xxx range of keyboards works 🙂

F0 43 10 7F 1C 02 30 4B 00 DT F7

Where DT is the value you want to send.

I discovered that possibility a few days when I opened up the Sysex view in Sonar and could use that for some minor performance tweaks.
At any rate, last night I came to the realization that there are at least two other ways to get around the lack of CC control of the Super Knob. News at 11:53…

Have a terrific July 4th!

Walt

Posted : 04/07/2016 4:49 pm
Walter

Bad Mister wrote:

I know you were not arguing... only put the shoes on if they fit... Those arguing and complaining feel the tight fit! 🙂

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I finished all the Programming Basics up to 11. Keep em coming!

Walt

Posted : 04/07/2016 5:06 pm
Christine

Walter wrote:

If you can control the Superknob via the foot pedal which just sends a ratiometrically derived CV, (the same way a foot pedal controls volume) then why not have the capability to optionally control it with a CC? (I'm not arguing or complaing, just trying to learn) 😀

MIDI CCs are sent per-channel and channels on the Montage are mapped to Parts. So having a theoretical superknob CC would (potentially) change only the things the superknob affects for that part. Which is obvious nonsense and not particularly useful, the superknob's whole point is that it changes things over all of the parts at once. Maybe if the MIDI standard had a global "all channels" option then it would make some sort of sense, maybe. I know MIDI has CCs for global things like 'local control' and 'all notes off' at the top of the CC scale, but they are an anomaly really, just there for pragmatic reasons I suspect.

SYSEX makes more sense for this because it can affects the whole synth (usually) which is the are in which the superknob operates.

I do appreciate it's nice in live performance to be able to 'superknob' from various places - that's why I checked out the SYSEX, but TBH I mainly use the footpedal ... I like footpedals 🙂

I'm very much in Bad Mister's court about post-editting of CCs, it's something I never do. I'd rather play music than spend ages hand editting MIDI rolls!

Incidentally, a HUGE thanks to Yamaha for providing the enormous Data List document with all of the SYSEX data in it - and keeping it up to date with firmware upgrade. If only all other manufacturers were so diligent!

Posted : 05/07/2016 9:35 am
Walter

Christine wrote:

Walter wrote:

If you can control the Superknob via the foot pedal which just sends a ratiometrically derived CV, (the same way a foot pedal controls volume) then why not have the capability to optionally control it with a CC? (I'm not arguing or complaing, just trying to learn) 😀

Christine wrote:
MIDI CCs are sent per-channel and channels on the Montage are mapped to Parts. So having a theoretical superknob CC would (potentially) change only the things the superknob affects for that part. Which is obvious nonsense and not particularly useful, the superknob's whole point is that it changes things over all of the parts at once. Maybe if the MIDI standard had a global "all channels" option then it would make some sort of sense, maybe. I know MIDI has CCs for global things like 'local control' and 'all notes off' at the top of the CC scale, but they are an anomaly really, just there for pragmatic reasons I suspect.

I've been travelling so I didn't get a chance to respond until today. When the Super Knobs positiion is changed either by moving by hand or via the foot pedal, it affects ALL the parts that are programmed to be changed by the SK. I am working on a scheme that will achieve the same results with a selected CC on any MIDI channel. The idea for the solution is contained in the user's guide. No modifications need to be made to the Montage and no animals will be hurt in the process! :p

Christine wrote:
SYSEX makes more sense for this because it can affects the whole synth (usually) which is the are in which the superknob operates.

The problem with Sysex is that it is not easily editible

Christine wrote:
I'm very much in Bad Mister's court about post-editting of CCs, it's something I never do. I'd rather play music than spend ages hand editting MIDI rolls!

We all have our own ways of creating music. I don't play out live anymore, and just relax in my recording studio. Being retired, I have time to enhance a piece with a little MIDI editing.

Christine wrote:
Incidentally, a HUGE thanks to Yamaha for providing the enormous Data List document with all of the SYSEX data in it - and keeping it up to date with firmware upgrade. If only all other manufacturers were so diligent!

I totally agree. The Yamaha documetation and tutorials are second to none!

Walt

Posted : 21/07/2016 6:21 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us