Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Is there a setting to instantly transpose the key once pressing Octave/Transpose button ?

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Cronus
Topic starter

Hi all,
As I play my Montage 8, i find that i hardly ever change the octave but the tranpose key is more useful for me.

My problem is that Montage is designed in such a way that when I press the Octave / Transpose key, it "prioritizes" for Octave, if i want to use Tranpose function, i would need to use 2 hands, one press Shift one press the Octave/Transpose button, which is not possible for me when i am playing on the stage.

So, is there a setting to instantly transpose the key once pressing Octave/Transpose button. I mean it is kind of switch the prioritization of Octave and Transpose in the sense that when i press the key it will be Transpose and with Shift, it will be Octave. Thanks.

P/S : I pretty much love the way Tyros 5 is designed with seperate Octave and Tranpose buttons. I wonder why with plenty space on the keyboard, Yamaha still need to group the Tranpose and Octave buttons together.

Posted : 29/12/2017 12:09 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

No.

But you could map a controller to note shift or pitch to this so only one hand is needed (like pressing A.SW1).

The devil-in-the-details may have you wanting something more like transpose depending on what you want to happen with the split point. But perhaps you're OK with the assign-a-controller-to-a-destination method.

Here's an article which covers many of the basics:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/apps-2/controller-box-switches

Your source could be A.SW1 and destination as pitch or note shift. When the switch is off, the "X" value of the curve is zero. When the switch is on, the "X" value of the curve is 127. Anything inbetween (on the curve - which normally is a triangle/wedge = curve type "standard" parameter 1 = 5) is not utilized with switches. If using A.SW1 you would want it to be latching, not momentary.

Posted : 29/12/2017 12:28 am
Cronus
Topic starter

Thanks a lot for your sharing Jason... it was just a "One-click" action for me on my Tyros 5. Dont know why they dont keep it the same way on Montage which is more user-friendly.

Posted : 29/12/2017 12:56 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Other than the two products might as well be designed by two different companies considering how the teams are from different segments and the two keyboards have unique target audiences with seemingly little overlap judging by the support model.

My suggestion gives you a one click - but you're responsible for programming this. And also assumes one click to switch between two different transpositions. And not global -- have to make a custom performance for each you want this behavior.

Posted : 29/12/2017 2:01 am

I think that being forced to press shift is a security not to transpose accidentally in full concert. Change octave it can pass, but to find 1/2 tone highest brutally, it would be anguish. Especially during an intro when the rest of the orchestra returns after, when we do not have the absolute pitch as it is my case. So thanks for letting this button secure, it should even be in a cage with a padlock...;)

Posted : 29/12/2017 5:55 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

This may demonstrate that it would be "nice" to have a set of globally assignable switches that perhaps default as:

left: Non-Shift = Octave down, Shift = Transpose down
and
right: Non-Shift = Octave up, Shift = Transpose down
and
Press both = Reset Octave and transposition to default

But all 5 states (shift left, left, shift right, right, both) can be assignable to various global parameters that make sense for button presses. By global I mean the would apply to any performance and not have to be per-performance. Like transpose, octave, and possibly other parameters to assign to the buttons. Maybe tap tempo so you could assign one of the buttons to that if you were less concerned about octave or transposition -- maybe others (not going through the full list).

The benefit is that someone with an 88-key keyboard who is less prone to care about octave shifting can assign the non-shift button to transpose. And maybe the very paranoid could assign the switches to "OFF" or leave as-is.

Not really necessarily advocating anything for Montage - but different users would use these differently.

My beef has been with the hidden nature of the indicator for transposition which isn't solved by any of this.

Posted : 29/12/2017 6:17 am
Cronus
Topic starter

Hi Jason, i think you can read my mind 🙂 Thanks again for the sharing. It would be great if Yamaha consider it and give Montage user an option of "shift-hold" in future update.

Posted : 29/12/2017 10:48 pm
Cronus
Topic starter

Adrien wrote:

I think that being forced to press shift is a security not to transpose accidentally in full concert. Change octave it can pass, but to find 1/2 tone highest brutally, it would be anguish. Especially during an intro when the rest of the orchestra returns after, when we do not have the absolute pitch as it is my case. So thanks for letting this button secure, it should even be in a cage with a padlock...;)

Hi Adrien,
I dont think many professionals need this kind of security as many pro keyboards have the instant tranpose function. For example, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-465 GP that I usually play in concert has the tranpose key that provide me instant tranpose with 1-click. In my country, singers love to transpose 1 or 3 semitone in the 2nd round of a song after the bridge or before the coda and I just dont want to spend too much time to arrange a song in a new key (like C -> Db). So, i find that instant tranpose is really helpful for me.

I believe it is not hard for Yamaha to have different buttons for transpose and octave as they have done it for Tyros 5. There must be a reason behind it, rather than just for "security". Thanks.

Posted : 29/12/2017 11:07 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

In every country you have singers that like to transpose anywhere from microtones (off pitch) to any key they see fit (in pitch).

Posted : 30/12/2017 6:56 am

I totally understand. I prefer to transpose with the fingers, settling myself in the new tone. I never use the transposition knob in semitone. I think that the choice should be offered on these 2 buttons, in direct use. That we can choose in utility setting is octave, or half-tone for those who wish. I had the experience of an unfortunate transpo with a Nord Stage, I must have been a bit traumatized since.

Posted : 30/12/2017 1:48 pm

+1 ... Change quickly Transpose with 1 hand it's a very usefull option IMHO !

Posted : 02/01/2018 2:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us