Notifications
Clear all

Is there a way through scenes to change octave of a split

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Omar
Topic starter

Is there a way to change the octave of a part on the montage.

Say I wanted to split three sounds, piano sound, EP sound, horns, could I make the sounds for the ep start at a different octave so the sound would be more fuller.

Hope my question is clear. Still very new to this programming thing but haven't been able to figure this out.

Posted : 25/09/2019 2:48 am
Bad Mister

Yes, each instrument sound can be Note Shifted independently.
It is not clear when you use the word “split” - do you want each sound in separate regions of the keyboard or are they layered or overlapping at all? Either way each instrument can be shifted up or down by two octaves as necessary.

You are asking if you can through Scenes... well, yes, but because you can switch which Parts are sounding per Scene. Each Scene can swap to a Part that is Note Shifted differently. But there is no parameter specifically that remembers the Note Shift setting per Scene.

Posted : 25/09/2019 2:50 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you really needed to press a scene button and have a sound change from one octave to another - I'd make a 2nd copy of the 1st PART and octave shift the 2nd PART. This would "burn" a PART - but the existing pitch shift using offsets (which you could control with scenes) isn't going to do what you want on "more complex" sounds. It might sound "ok" for certain sounds that take to pitch stretching well. I'm not sure if you want to flip-flop between two different octaves or just want to set the octave to something different than the default and just leave the instrument at a different octave. If you want to do this - change the octave from the onset and never alter the octave during your performance - then you would not use scenes for this. You would program the "note shift" parameter for the PART - which does not pitch shift the PART. It just changes the octave as if you were playing the notes lower and will sound "right" as opposed to pitch shifted (aka "chipmunked" for low-pitches-shifted-up or "muddied" for high-pitches-shifted-down).

Posted : 25/09/2019 5:34 am
 Omar
Topic starter

@ Bad Mister

Thank you for the detailed response, I did mean have each part in a different region go up an octave, they wouldn't be layered. I will certainly try this and see how it turns out.

@ Jason, Thanks also for your suggestions, I'll play around with both options you've suggested and see how I can apply them.

Additional question? I've been playing a bit around with the new Performance Recorder and have recorded a few patterns however it seems unclear to me how I can reset a part, if I made a mistake, or wanted to re-record it. I believe this is what the clear option does, would that be accurate?

Posted : 26/09/2019 9:13 pm
Bad Mister

Additional question? I've been playing a bit around with the new Performance Recorder and have recorded a few patterns however it seems unclear to me how I can reset a part, if I made a mistake, or wanted to re-record it. I believe this is what the clear option does, would that be accurate?

There are several ways to go about repairing mistakes. You select the one that works best for your situation.

_ If you recorded a Track, and wish to do the entire track again. Make sure you are in touch with the Part (that it sounds when you play the keys).
Press [RECORD]
Set the “Rec Type” = Replace.
Rec Type appears only when you already have existing data in the Recorder.
You may notice there is no Rec Track parameter setting. The Performance Recorder records the sounds you are performing... it’s what you hear is what you get. Each Part has its own dedicated Track, so if you are communicating with a Part it can be recorded.

_ If you are recording Drum, for example, you have a way to surgically erase specific Notes... say you’ve laid down the kick and snare and start in on the Hihats, but you mess it up, without leaving Record you can hold [SHIFT] + the offending Keys... as the Pattern Loops. If you continue to hold them it continues to Erase. Alternatively, you can touch the “Erase” box, it turns green (active) while it is active hold down the keys you wish to erase... if you hold them for one complete cycle, you will clear just the notes you held.

_ If you record a Track or make any kind of edit, you can UNDO the last thing you’ve done by pressing “Edit/Job” > “Overview” > touch the box “Undo last media” — this places what you did in a Buffer, you can toggle Redo/Undo to compare.

_ If you want to erase an entire Track go to “Edit/Job” > “Track” > “Clear” > Set the data you wish to Clear. You can clear a single Track or All Tracks.

Posted : 27/09/2019 12:23 am
 Omar
Topic starter

Jason

That worked awesome.

Bad Mister. Thank you a lot am getting closer to what am trying to accomplish

How do i octave shift? I can only see the option for arp? Trying to do it for live performance. Mixing piano and strings. But making strings a bit fuller.

I should clarify when I do the octave shift it no long sounds correct when I have a split. So say piano on left stopping at c3 and strings on right c3 and down I want to be a bit fuller. When ever I apply note shift it sounds off how can I still change octave and maintain the same key so to speak. I might’ve getting different terms mixed up sorry.

Posted : 27/09/2019 9:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Omar,

It's hard to tell what you've accomplished as "that worked awesome" is not enough context to tell what worked for you - what you've solved.

... if you solved the octave shifting - then this next request doesn't fit:

I should clarify when I do the octave shift it no long sounds correct when I have a split. So say piano on left stopping at c3 and strings on right c3 and down I want to be a bit fuller. When ever I apply note shift it sounds off how can I still change octave and maintain the same key so to speak. I might’ve getting different terms mixed up sorry.

... but to tackle this - terms are fairly specific. Because there are lots of ways to change the pitch of a "sound" on Montage. Each manner of changing the pitch has its own set of consequences. Such as how the pitches now relate to previously defined split points before and after the pitch (octave) change. The quality of the sound when pitch is changed. And other things.

The suggestion was to use "note" shift within a PART.

First - in the quote above, which method are you using to change the octave? What buttons do you press to get to the menu (if applicable) to change the octave - and what is the name of the parameter (on the screen) you change to set the octave?

When you say "same key" - this implies a key as in a transposition. But you may mean something else. Of course if you adjust pitch by multiples of an octave - you will always keep the piano keys in the same musical key (there is no "transposition" - only octave change).

Note that if you press the OCTAVE+ or OCTAVE- button, what this does is push your piano keys up and down by increments of 12 semi-tones. A semi-tone is a half step.

If you have this keyboard and press the lowest key - that's a "C". If you press OCTAVE+, then pressing the lowest key will now virtually play a key 12 semi-tones up the keyboard (octave+). Note that if you have a split point at the "F" above the lowest "C", then "OCTAVE+", since it plays a key that's 12 tones higher - this will cross the split and play the different split sound. "OCTAVE+" and "OCTAVE-" is the same as sliding up and down the keyboard. If you do not press "OCTAVE+" and press a key one octave higher - this is the same as pressing the same key after pressing the "OCTAVE+" button. Pressing OCTAVE+ and OCTAVE- doesn't change where the split occurs relative to a pitch. If the sound one octave higher is going to be in a different split - then pressing OCTAVE+ is going to play the different split for that note.

"Note shift" will not shift around the keyboard like OCTAVE+/- does. What "Note Shift" does is makes the same key sound at a different pitch without adjusting the split points.

Lets say the number after these notes is the octave. C1 is a "C" note in the first octave. C2 is a "C" note in the second octave (one octave higher than C1).

Say you have a split with the notes:

(split-low) C2 C#2 D2 D#2 E2 F2 F#2 G2 (split-high)

If you apply Note Shift +12 (meaning shift by 12 semitones up = one octave up) - then the result will be:

(split-low) C3 C#3 D3 D#3 E3 F3 F#3 G3 (split-high)

And for both of these, before and after the octave shift - the piano key for the split-low, and each note (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G) and split-high are identical piano keys. The same key will just become a higher pitch - and the split location does not move. There are 8 notes within this split and the split points stay the same and number of notes stay the same for the split.

The benefit of "note shift" - a specific parameter - is that it does not change the sound quality like most of the other pitch shift methods do.

Posted : 27/09/2019 11:33 pm
 Omar
Topic starter

Jason

thanks again for the detailed explanation.
I will certainly try this in the morning.

I was referring to the octave shift but i guess that wasn’t what I accomplished ? since it didn’t really accomplish what I intended. I was mixing up the two features. Note shift and octave shifting.

I believe I tried what you suggested, however, if it worked am sure this thread would have concluded ?, regarding the note shift I’ll re-read what you wrote and try to apply it once am around the board again. Still very very new to this. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks again

Posted : 28/09/2019 12:09 am
Bad Mister

It is indeed the terminology. Once you see the difference hopefully it will make sense.

The front panel buttons [OCT-]/[OCT+] and [SHIFT] + those buttons, are TRANSPOSE. A word Yamaha uses when referring to the Keyboard Transmit functions.
The Part parameter called NOTE SHIFT is the term Yamaha uses when referring to tuning on the instrument sound in that Part...it’s the Tone Generator Receiving.

If you create a Split at C3, piano C3~G8 and bass C-2~B2, when you press the [OCT-] button you are, literally, moving middle “C” one Octave higher. If you press the key you know to be the real C3 it now plays a Bass, because you have moved C3, it is now one octave higher than normal. Sure enough your split takes place physically one octave higher!

You’ve moved *where* the split occurs but musically speaking the lowest note of the piano is still as it should be C = 261Hz, middle “C”

You don’t want to change what the Keyboard is sending, you want to change is the Tuning of the instruments themselves, the piano and the bass. They are independent instruments so naturally you can tune them independently.
Press [EDIT]
Press [Part Select 1] Piano
Tap “Part Settings” > “Pitch” > Set “Note Shift” = -12

This leaves the split point physically where you made it but lowers the piano one octave... so that when press the real middle C it now sounds one octave lower.

Press [Part Select 2]
Set the “Note Shift” as you desire...

Transpose is a function of the Keyboard (Transmit)... when you Transpose down one octave MIDI Note 60 (middle C) is transmitted by the C above physical middle C.

But “Note Shift” is a function of the Tone Generator (Receive).... when you “Note Shift” Down one octave, you are changing how the instrument responds...

Extra Credit:
You are saying you want to make the strings fuller... dropping them an octave is dropping them an octave (use “Note Shift”, for that by the way). Something to try to get “fuller strings”...

Study the Factory Preset: “A Few Strings” — as it is one of many String programs that create this effect. This two-Part Performance has 4 Elements in Part 1 and 5 Elements in Part 2 as follows.

PART 1
Solo 1st Violin
Solo 2nd Violin
Solo Viola
Solo Cello

PART 2
Ensemble 1st Violin
Ensemble 2nd Violin
Ensemble Viola
Ensemble Cello
Ensemble ContrBass

The Super Knob changes the size of the string ensemble from smaller to larger. it morphs from small ensemble to full ensemble. The ContraBasses on Part 2 does that “fuller” thing, nicely.

Study the Factory Preset: “St Ensemble K” — a Single Part String Sound. 5 Elements.
Strings play all the time from Elements 1, 2, and 3... Super Knob makes ensemble fuller.
Brass and Bell are ‘hidden’ surprises find them on MW and AsSw1.

Posted : 28/09/2019 12:16 am
 Omar
Topic starter

Bad Mister

Thank you for the very clear explanation, not having the full understanding of the semantics involved I had a hard time initially, however, your explanation was very helpful and as such, I now truly understand how to implement note shift without issue.

Upon trying today I was able to apply the above to split four parts and applied note shift to achieve a "fuller" sound. I will study "A Few Strings and "St Ensemble K" to expand upon this new-found knowledge.

In retrospect, the error I was making was, treating note shift, and the principle of octave similar but different, meaning I thought if I note shift -1 or +1 it would effectively change the octave +12 or -12, your above explanation showed I was wrong.

Again thank you for explaining.

If you create a Split at C3, piano C3~G8 and bass C-2~B2, when you press the [OCT-] button you are, literally, moving middle “C” one Octave higher. If you press the key you know to be the real C3 it now plays a Bass, because you have moved C3, it is now one octave higher than normal. Sure enough, you split takes place physically one octave higher!

You’ve moved where the split occurs but musically speaking the lowest note of the piano is still as it should be C = 261Hz

You don’t want to change what the Keyboard is sending, you want to change is the Tuning of the instruments themselves piano and the bass. They are independent instruments so naturally, you can tune them independently.
Press [EDIT]
Press [Part Select 1] Piano
Tap “Part Settings” > “Pitch” > Set “Note Shift” = -12

This leaves the split point physically where you made it but lowers the piano one octave... so that when press the real middle C it now sounds one octave lower.

Press [Part Select 2]
Set the “Note Shift” as you desire...

Transpose is a function of the Keyboard (Transmit)... when you Transpose down one octave MIDI Note 60 (middle C) is transmitted by the C above physical middle C.

But “Note Shift” is a function of the Tone Generator (Receive).... when you “Note Shift” Down one octave, you are changing how the instrument responds...

Posted : 28/09/2019 10:21 pm
 Omar
Topic starter

Thank you sir.

Omar,

It's hard to tell what you've accomplished as "that worked awesome" is not enough context to tell what worked for you - what you've solved.

... if you solved the octave shifting - then this next request doesn't fit:

... but to tackle this - terms are fairly specific. Because there are lots of ways to change the pitch of a "sound" on Montage. Each manner of changing the pitch has its own set of consequences. Such as how the pitches now relate to previously defined split points before and after the pitch (octave) change. The quality of the sound when pitch is changed. And other things.

The suggestion was to use "note" shift within a PART.

First - in the quote above, which method are you using to change the octave? What buttons do you press to get to the menu (if applicable) to change the octave - and what is the name of the parameter (on the screen) you change to set the octave?

When you say "same key" - this implies a key as in a transposition. But you may mean something else. Of course if you adjust pitch by multiples of an octave - you will always keep the piano keys in the same musical key (there is no "transposition" - only octave change).

Note that if you press the OCTAVE+ or OCTAVE- button, what this does is push your piano keys up and down by increments of 12 semi-tones. A semi-tone is a half step.

If you have this keyboard and press the lowest key - that's a "C". If you press OCTAVE+, then pressing the lowest key will now virtually play a key 12 semi-tones up the keyboard (octave+). Note that if you have a split point at the "F" above the lowest "C", then "OCTAVE+", since it plays a key that's 12 tones higher - this will cross the split and play the different split sound. "OCTAVE+" and "OCTAVE-" is the same as sliding up and down the keyboard. If you do not press "OCTAVE+" and press a key one octave higher - this is the same as pressing the same key after pressing the "OCTAVE+" button. Pressing OCTAVE+ and OCTAVE- doesn't change where the split occurs relative to a pitch. If the sound one octave higher is going to be in a different split - then pressing OCTAVE+ is going to play the different split for that note.

"Note shift" will not shift around the keyboard like OCTAVE+/- does. What "Note Shift" does is makes the same key sound at a different pitch without adjusting the split points.

Lets say the number after these notes is the octave. C1 is a "C" note in the first octave. C2 is a "C" note in the second octave (one octave higher than C1).

Say you have a split with the notes:

(split-low) C2 C#2 D2 D#2 E2 F2 F#2 G2 (split-high)

If you apply Note Shift +12 (meaning shift by 12 semitones up = one octave up) - then the result will be:

(split-low) C3 C#3 D3 D#3 E3 F3 F#3 G3 (split-high)

And for both of these, before and after the octave shift - the piano key for the split-low, and each note (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G) and split-high are identical piano keys. The same key will just become a higher pitch - and the split location does not move. There are 8 notes within this split and the split points stay the same and number of notes stay the same for the split.

The benefit of "note shift" - a specific parameter - is that it does not change the sound quality like most of the other pitch shift methods do.

Posted : 28/09/2019 10:22 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us