Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Is this on Yamaha Motif XF possible ?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

This brings me to the next question: Is there a special setting that the FEG is not triggered with every key i play in mono mode like i have with many analog synthesizer when i play legato? The FEG should start only from the beginning when i donΒ΄t play legato (e.g. Minimoog). When i play legato, the FEG starts with the first note and follows the other notes without retriggering the FEG from the beginning.
Yes, actually there is...

I remember I had my MiniMoog D modified so it wouldn't do that. Funny, that was a "non-feature" back in the day... So I remember putting my precious MiniMoogD in the shop to get the upgrade that allowed it to trigger the filter EG with each note-on, so I could stop it from doing that very thing where it died out during legato play.

Well, it no longer to takes a modification to reverse this and make a modern synth behave like that, where the FEG is not retriggered with every key-on... This can be done using the Montage's PART LFO set as "Loop" = Off (so that it plays the LFO pattern as a one-shot). You can program your own "EG" and apply it to the Filter Cutoff. Actually there are three destinations.

This was possible on Motif-series, MO-series, etc. as well. The COMMON LFO, now referred to as the "PART LFO" can be set so you can create your own sixteen step USER LFO (envelope), instead of just using it to repeat (typical use of LFOs) it can be set to play just once and set to happen only "1st KeyOn", instead of "Each KeyOn". Below you can see the PART LFO screen - and that you can set the LFO WAVE= USER, then take the shortcut box "Edit User LFO" to create your 16 step envelope.

By applying this to the Filter Cutoff you can have a programmable FEG set to only retrigger when you lift your finger and reattack a key, if you play legato it plays and follows just that envelope and dies away as the EG reaches it end. The amount of FEG applied can be set per Element, and the phase can be offset.

more than a month ago MONTAGE # 3

Siggi

Thanks BM for the detailed explanation about AWM2 about the legato feature, also itΒ΄ s great to hear that my my FEG feature wish can be realized with Montage. Fantastic forum here πŸ™‚

best, Siggi

Posted : 03/04/2020 11:36 pm
Bad Mister

Yes. As it says β€œThis was possible on Motif-series, MO-series, etc. as well.”

Posted : 08/04/2020 10:49 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us