Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Is your Montage on a Keyboard stand or Desk?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi guys,

I have my Montage on a nice keyboard stand (that allows me to have it at a piano height, as I also use my Montage to play/practice playing the piano).

I am now looking to figure out the best way to have a monitor (or laptop) behind the Montage so that I can also use it with my DAW (Ableton).

Right now, the keyboard stand is adjacent to my desk which has my monitor/mouse/keyboard/Ableton Push 2 controller. So i have to move from side to side and its not an ideal workflow at all for me.

I am debating on if it makes more sense to mount a monitor behind the wall of my Montage (somewhat OK solution, but if I want to use my keyboard and mouse and Ableton Push 2 controller, there is not a clear space to have all of that at).

Another idea is researching and buying a workstation desk.. Thing is, most desks I have seen do not put the keyboard at piano height.

I am just wondering for those of you who own this keyboard with a monitor/laptop, how do you have yours set up?

Thank you!

Kevin

Posted : 04/09/2018 2:21 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Here's a whole lot of "we're not the same ..."

Half the time my Montage is in the case because I lug it around to shows and practice. When it's in the studio, it's on a stand. I have a 15-ish foot USB cable that connects to a laptop. I rarely use the DAW for my own purposes since I use Montage live without any other interfacing equipment. Most of my DAW use is to look at things others are having issue with.

When I do place my Montage on the stand, the keyboard is on the top tier. Even the bottom tier is above piano height.

My desk is a studio desk with rack spaces. The surface of the desk is well above piano height. Surface of the desk is at 30" above the ground. This places keys of an S90XS at around 34.5" (top of keys). 28+3/8" is Yamaha's general standard for key height.

Around 6" too high - the keyboard would be at the right height if a drawer was placed under the desk. This particular desk doesn't have a drawer for a full-size piano-keyboard. If it did - the placement would be near perfect.

You may consider looking at the desks with full-size keyboard surfaces under the desk surface.

It may be easier to use a laptop with an integrated mouse(touch)pad (instead of a mouse) - because this solution is self-contained - screen/mouse/keyboard. There are plenty of touchscreen "laptops" out there - so that is an additional option for interfacing with the computer. Stands are available for laptops that attach to keyboard stands and/or keyboards.

Posted : 04/09/2018 6:17 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

I have a K&M Omega stand which I have configured to hold up over the Montage (from right to left as I face the keyboard, so backwards to the attached picture):[list]

• laptop holder that I use as a shelf
  • Roli Rise 25 MIDI controller
  • Surface Pro i5 Windows 10 tablet for running Cubase and John Melas software
  • 12.9" iPad Pro used with Duet Display software to be a 2nd monitor for the Surface Pro
  • 12.9" iPad Pro for looking at documentation and other miscellaneous uses
  • laptop holder that I use as a shelf

This back view shows the various attachments that hold everything up..

Attached files

• Posted : 04/09/2018 11:06 pm
    Rod
     Rod
    Estimable Member

Hello Kevin - I hate stands! They all shake about. My 'Musicube' Studio room is small, literally an 8' cube, so I was able to build my own desktop resting on battens fixed to the walls. It does not move. And at exactly the height to suit me. My Montage external monitor and that for the computer stand behind the Montage on custom made stands of their own, so designed to avoid all the connections at the back of Montage. The speakers stand on the same desktop at either side of the Montage, placed for best effect. The computer and its keyboard and mouse are on a similar worktop on my left, while my MIDI and A/D connected Tyros 3 is on a similar worktop on my right. It is compact and rigid, and my swivel chair allows immediate and easy access to any element. Of course I do not gig - everything stays put! If the dimensions of your studio allow, I strongly recommend custom built desktops because they are made to exactly suit you.

Posted : 05/09/2018 8:23 am
    Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us