Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

JayB Sound design and creating a greater variety in the available Montage libraries

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am not sure who to direct this to but here goes.

There is an artist/sound designer called JayB who can be freely searched on YouTube where you will find a collection of videos showcasing some of his phenomenal sound design. Interestingly he uses legacy Yamaha synths for sound design focusing on the Dance genre. Even though he is using these much older models he really does push them to the limit and it is clear he knows them inside and out as well as being quite gifted in sound design. One of things I like about the guy is that he makes lots of his high quality libraries available for free download which is quite a rare thing to do in today’s highly competitive market.

Recently I came across a video on YouTube channel called SoundsAndGear which is a great channel run by a producer who (amongst other things) showcases and reviews studio equipment. If I recall correctly he was loaned a Montage for the purposes of demonstrating the synths features and how he finds it in studio use. It’s a good promotional concept because it gives potential buyers a real world example of the Montage in a studio setting.

The point of the above is that using the same logic it would be good to see the team at Yamaha Synth also lend / donate a Montage to an artist like JayB for the purpose of library creations which he would then share with the community. I think JayB is a particularly strong candidate for such an opportunity given that he regularly releases music aimed at the electronic dance market which let’s face it, comprises a lot of new up and coming musicians keen to get their hands on gear that eases the creative process.

In his compositions, JayB from what I can hear uses up-to-date in modern sound design techniques reflective of the current time and popular dance genres which has the potential translate into very unique sound design for Montage libraries. I personally think the Board needs a greater variety /choice in library sounds and this would be a great start. However it doesn’t have to just stop there because of course depending on success of any libraries/content there would be future opportunity to create YouTube content in collaboration with Yamaha. This content could include sound design videos for example that explicitly focus on the unique methodological and processing advantages of the Montage to create weird, wacky and beautiful timbres that are simply not possibly on other synths.

From a personal point of view I really see the points raised as addressing a unique gap in the Montage ecosystem and that such a collaboration would provide a real world value that very few synth manufactures are yet to embrace.

My 2 cents but please check out the guy and maybe run a poll to see if there is any interest in something as above - ps I don't know how to run one?

Posted : 14/03/2018 7:19 pm
Joe
 Joe
Eminent Member

Bobby wrote:
This content could include sound design videos for example that explicitly focus on the unique methodological and processing advantages of the Montage to create weird, wacky and beautiful timbres that are simply not possibly on other synths.

I'm doing some unique things with Montage and MaxMsp. I can promise weird and wacky and beautiful timbres I've never heard elsewhere in the wild. Montage is a beast that can be tamed and flying around the room like a 3d projection at an Amon Tobin Isam gig. It has astounding clarity and detail in it's audio engine and converters. I would love to demonstrate what I've achieved with it. Hopefully soon I can head down to the well of time and pull up a few buckets and get around to sharing with you lot what magic I've achieved with the Montage. πŸ™‚

Posted : 15/03/2018 3:25 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us