Notifications
Clear all

Key Off Custom Waveform Decay

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I am working on a Rhodes patch that has 5 velocity layers and I have a 5 velocity layer Release sample. How would I be able to make this release sample work like it does in a real Rhodes? As the base Rhodes sound I have loaded in this performances decays in sound (in the sample, not in any settings), how I do make the release samples, regardless of the note on velocity, also play at reduced volume to match the base Rhodes?

I'm not good with all of the Montage terminology (or synthesizer terminology.) So in a basic sense, I have a Performance with Part 1 Rhodes, Part 2 Release Samples. I hit a chord at velocity 127 and sustain it, once the Part 1 Rhodes samples reach near their end, how do I get the release samples not play at max volume but rather at a reduced volume to match the Part 1 Rhodes sample volume reaching it's end?

I think it sucks as I have to have this release sample to have multi-velocity layers. So I have to have the note on velocity trigger the release samples' velocity layer, but I don't want it to play at it's intended volume over time. Immediately is fine, but I need that decay in volume.

Don't hurt me too bad I'm just trying to learn. I'm a Native Instruments Kontakt developer as well so I'm a bit more knowledgeable on that end more so than the MOTIF and Montage.

Posted : 30/04/2021 7:11 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Figured out a way to do this. Half Damper setting. 😀

Posted : 30/04/2021 10:24 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

how do I get the release samples not play at max volume but rather at a reduced volume to match the Part 1 Rhodes sample volume reaching it's end?

Here's how you can do it (Thanks to Jason!). However this would be best if the main PART with all the velocity layer Element waveforms is filled & has all 8 layers..otherwise you could just add the Key Off release sample Element to the same PART as the main velocity layer samples, and make sure it's in the same XA Element group.
It involves adding an extra PART 3 and some tweaking, but works great once it's set.

1. Add a PART 3 with either a single Element Piano waveform (AWM2), or even better an FM-X Piano sound that decays the longer you hold it.
. (a) You may need to adjust the Amplitude EG Decays & Release a bit)
. (b) If using AWM2, make sure the Element's 'Velocity Limit' on PART 3 is set from 1 to 127
2. Under Part Settings > General, set the Output of this new PART 3 to "Off"
3. Edit PART 2 "Key Off" Release Samples, and go to Common > Mod / Control > Control Assign, and then:
. (a) Select "EnvFollow 3" under the Display Filter drop down
. (b) Select " + " to add a Destination, choosing Element > 'Element Level'
. (c) Make sure the Element(s) is(are) set to "On" for the 'Key Off' Release Sample(s)
. (d) Set Curve Type to "Dogleg", Polarity to "Uni", Ratio to "-26", Param 1 to "0" and Param 2 to "0"
(* You may need to adjust/tweak the Ratio a bit as well)

You can test and check the volume of the Key Off release sample by putting PART 1 on Mute, to ensure that the Key Off release sample is lower in volume the longer you hold/sustain!

Posted : 04/05/2021 11:42 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

how do I get the release samples not play at max volume but rather at a reduced volume to match the Part 1 Rhodes sample volume reaching it's end?

Here's how you can do it (Thanks to Jason!). However this would be best if the main PART with all the velocity layer Element waveforms is filled & has all 8 layers..otherwise you could just add the Key Off release sample Element to the same PART as the main velocity layer samples, and make sure it's in the same XA Element group.
It involves adding an extra PART 3 and some tweaking, but works great once it's set.

1. Add a PART 3 with either a single Element Piano waveform (AWM2), or even better an FM-X Piano sound that decays the longer you hold it.
. (a) You may need to adjust the Amplitude EG Decays & Release a bit)
. (b) If using AWM2, make sure the Element's 'Velocity Limit' on PART 3 is set from 1 to 127
2. Under Part Settings > General, set the Output of this new PART 3 to "Off"
3. Edit PART 2 "Key Off" Release Samples, and go to Common > Mod / Control > Control Assign, and then:
. (a) Select "EnvFollow 3" under the Display Filter drop down
. (b) Select " + " to add a Destination, choosing Element > 'Element Level'
. (c) Make sure the Element(s) is(are) set to "On" for the 'Key Off' Release Sample(s)
. (d) Set Curve Type to "Dogleg", Polarity to "Uni", Ratio to "-26", Param 1 to "0" and Param 2 to "0"
(* You may need to adjust/tweak the Ratio a bit as well)

You can test and check the volume of the Key Off release sample by putting PART 1 on Mute, to ensure that the Key Off release sample is lower in volume the longer you hold/sustain!

I tried this but perhaps I was doing something wrong.

What I did end up doing was copying my original Part 1 with the base Rhodes sound and the Key off samples to Part 2.
Turned off the base Rhodes sound (amplitude volume 0) and set the Half Damper setting to around 90.
On Element 2 which had the key off samples, simply turned on the Half Damper and kept that setting at 0.

So with both parts now, the Key Off samples work as intended, or at least how I want them too.
Full volume with regular key presses no matter how long I hold down the keys.
And for sustained chords I get the eventual decay.

I think it works brilliantly. I need it to at least mimic the original VST based library that this is from.
Hopefully soon once contract details finalize I can publicly talk about this library that I am working on with a well-known developer.

Posted : 05/05/2021 4:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If it works, it works. There are lots of techniques that get to the same general point.

I was able to "break" factory presets fairly easily. I haven't gone back to check to see if presets have been refined.

As long as you slam down on the note to give it the maximum start - then hold down through until the note decays to a whisper - when you let go if the key-off doesn't unnaturally blast out - you're good.

Posted : 05/05/2021 4:31 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us