Clear all

Latest Updates to Montage

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I hear there is a 2.0 Version coming my Montage has Version 1.51 I believe. Once I install the new 2.0 will that be all I need for present time or are there other updates that it needs? Thanks in advance for any news. Gary

Posted : 31/01/2018 3:05 pm
Stefan

Hi Gary, you will need to make a backup upfront, because the data will most likely be erased. For that you a USB stick. You need a USB stick for the update anyway. That should be all. It will get your Montage straight to 2.0. That was at least the case for all previous releases.

Posted : 31/01/2018 6:18 pm
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

What is needful to back up? Which data will be erased? I haven't loaded any add on data except the Bosendorfer Bank. Thanks

Posted : 31/01/2018 9:02 pm
Stefan

I would recommend always using the now built-in function for making a backup. You find it under utility->content->backup. You save the backup, do the update, and then reload the backup and the Montage is basically the same as before. Except it has the new OS. All settings and content are the same.

Posted : 31/01/2018 10:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This may not apply to you since your firmware is newer - but just to round out the general suggestion:

Firmware updates have the possibility of erasing all memory and initializing the keyboard back to the factory shipped state. If you want to save your work/data, then backup everything to a USB stick before updating firmware. I would recommend also copying this data from the USB stick a hard drive and possibly even mailing yourself the file(s) in your backup so the data is also "in the cloud". The extra steps are to guard against erasing the USB stick accidentally or USB stick failure which does happen from time to time. I would copy the USB stick to a hard disk BEFORE updating firmware so that your data is still on the Montage just in case you learn that the USB stick cannot be read.

If your firmware is older than v1.50, then you will not have the ability to save X7A ("Backup", or "All") files. No problem, you can save your user area as an X7U file. Do this. I would recommend also saving your library files (X7L file). If you have libraries and you do not load them back in the right order - then any user files which reference a library will be "broken". Saving the libraries as an X7L solves this as you just load the X7L and will be "back in business".

If your firmware is v1.50 or newer, then there is only one step as previously mentioned by Stefan. Just make a "backup" by saving the all file (X7A).

Note: there are very narrow cases where firmware updates do not touch your user/library memory. And also very narrow cases where saving your libraries would be redundant. However, I would always save EVERYTHING because having more backups than you need is much - much better than not having a backup when you need it.

Posted : 01/02/2018 5:45 pm
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

THANKS

Posted : 01/02/2018 7:00 pm
Bad Mister

Well put!

Posted : 01/02/2018 7:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us