Libraries

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Against my own instinct, I downloaded a copy of EasySounds 'Phat Analog 2' having been seduced by talk of Oberheim and Jupiter 8 - with a few exceptions, I am impressed, Peter! But how do I find the 'Waveforms' you used, please?

The file was loaded as a Library, but if one goes to 'Import Library' with a view to making adjustments (sorry!), it is presented in what appears to be alphabetical order, and the 'Job' function has disappeared. Before I do any damage, does that mean that I have to import the entire Library? I can't pick and choose as I expected to do? Also, the implication is that if I modify any (as User files) I cannot then save them back into a Library? But all User files can be saved as a Library, can they not? So have I misunderstood that?

Would it be simpler to load it again as a User File as well? Having backed up existing files first. That avoids importing anything but means a lot of duplication, which entails a lot of deleting to preserve memory space.

Posted : 02/10/2016 9:14 am
Bad Mister

... how do I find the 'Waveforms' you used, please?

The Waveforms are found where they always are found ... Used within a Part... We give a step-by-step below.

If your goal is to edit and make changes to the data that you wish store in your own custom version using the Waveforms provided in a Library, yes, you should use the "Import Library" function. This will allow you to create a NEW file that contains your edited data, only.

What the "Import Library" function does is it earmarks the Waveforms to be written into a file with your own version of the data edited as you desire... Once you finish with your edits, you will want your backup file to include only the Waveforms you used. If you do not use the Import Library function, your backup will not include the Waveforms, instead your backup data will simply point to the data already installed.

The file was loaded as a Library, but if one goes to 'Import Library' with a view to making adjustments (sorry!), it is presented in what appears to be alphabetical order, and the 'Job' function has disappeared. Before I do any damage, does that mean that I have to import the entire Library?

No need to apologize to Peter or anyone, if you want to edit the data, so much the very opposite... That is what you are supposed to do with a synthesizer (right!?!).

The items in the Library will be listed in alphabetical order, or you can reverse the order by touching the Name box.
Each Performance can be selected by placing a check in the box with the Performance Name, or you can "Select All"
There is no missing "Job" box (?)

Make sure you are using firmware 1.20.x If not update your Montage.

I can't pick and choose as I expected to do?

You can definitely pick and choose, that is the reason for the small box within the Performance Name box! You simply mark the ones you want to import.

Also, the implication is that if I modify any (as User files) I cannot then save them back into a Library?

? Any User data - that is, data in the User Bank, can be saved to a Library File.

Creating a new Library is worthy of a new Name. If you like your edits better, (and again, no need to apologize about it...) Create a new Library File. When you create a Library File initially it will only exist on your USB stick.

Let that sink in... When you create a new Library it is just a File. At that point you will have the original data from Easy Sounds that you installed on your Montage and you will have a new file of your version of it.

At that point you can DELETE, the Easy Sounds installed Library data
And in a separate operation install your "improvements" by loading your newly created Library File.

This way you have two files:
1) The one you purchased in its original form (keep it in a safe place... so in case in three weeks you change your mind, you can)
2) And you have your custom version of this data.

No need to keep both Libraries installed.

But all User files can be saved as a Library, can they not? So have I misunderstood that?

Yep, you have misunderstood some of how it works... hopefully it is clearer now. Let us know.

You can contact Easy Sounds directly.

Find the Waveforms
Now back to the Montage, once you've explored the data provided in the Library, select the ones you wish to include in YOUR CUSTOM LIBRARY, by marking them with a check on the Import Library screen. This will allow the Selected programs to join whatever data is currently in your Montage User Bank.

If you don't know what is currently in your Montage USER Bank, you can check as follows:
Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Contents" > "Data Utility"
Touch the folder labeled "Performances"
Here are the current Performances in your User Bank, the screen will indicate how many out of the 640 locations are occupied.
Blank would be 0/640
Full would be 640/640.

When you've Imported the items you want from the purchased Library, to your User Bank
Recall a Performance. You can find them all by going to the HOME screen

Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set the "BANK" = User
Pick the one you want edit, press [ENTER]

Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT 1]
You can now view the parameters concerning Part 1
Along the bottom of the screen you will see access to Part Common, and each of the occupied Element numbers will appear in bright blue.
You can touch one of those bright blue Elements or the dedicated Element Select buttons to view its parameters.

Touch "OSC/Tune" - here is where the Element references the Waveform

See page 94 of the Reference Manual for details about the available parameters.

Hope that helps. In general, it's a synthesizer, you are supposed to edit!!!

Posted : 02/10/2016 11:54 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister, and that is a huge help! My fear was that by doing something I thought should be right, I'd delete the lot, or some such catastrophe - the Montage is very smart, and can easily out-guess me! I'm only a dabbler in sound, and my dabblings are not intended as a mark of disrespect to the originator - hence my apology. The Montage is indeed a synth (an awesome one!) and I am only beginning to appreciate what it can do. It will keep me occupied for many years to come (I'm a slow learner and often ask daft questions - but once I've got it, it usually hangs in there). But not always. Your explanation above will be copied for future reference!

The 'Job' button I used to delete multiple Performances (I changed my mind!) and I supposed the same principle would apply to transferring Library files to User files. So I got wary when it wasn't there! Sometimes I just stab around with occasionally woeful results, and I was unwilling to risk doing that with some excellently engineered sounds in the 'Phat Analog 2' Library.

Thanks too for clearing up the transfer of ex: Library edited User files back to Library. I felt sure I must have misunderstood - but that's what it says in the instructions, so better safe than sorry. I can now return to the task with confidence!

Thank you and stay well ...

Posted : 02/10/2016 1:13 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi,
Phat analog II is sale with the two files, an X7U and a .X7L file, if users want's to edit Phat Analog II Performances, they can load the .X7U file in their user space.
Be sure to save your Previous user space data before to load Phat Analog II in user space.

The Phat Analog II pdf file explain also clearly how and what to load in all case you need, take time to read it.

For the rest, Bad Mister have explain all you need 😉

Posted : 02/10/2016 1:33 pm
Bad Mister

Thank you, Joel. I have not seen or heard any of the European data. I didn't want to assume - but it's good to know- there's a PDF instruction included!

Posted : 02/10/2016 2:29 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Joel - I did read it all most carefully, both before I started and during my initial efforts - but it is ambiguous here and there, hence my original questions. I have read the bit about Library to User to Library again since, and it is still confusing in that it appears to contradict what I know (now!) to be true - edited ex: Library files can be saved back to Library, whereas the pdf says not. Just a detail. I often find that instructions, which are naturally written by experts, often leave out vital details because 'everyone knows that' ... which I'm afraid isn't true! But I have now carried out a few highly successful copies and edits (although I've not yet attempted to re-save to 'Library' - which, Bad Mister, I note will only exist on my USB!). I do not propose to delete anything from the 'Phat Analog 2' Library, as many of the sounds there I will be using over and over. so I will most likely use the USB stick as another memory bank - not sure if that is possible as it is in the Tyros, or whether it must be loaded back into the Montage to be able to use it? See how this thing generates questions! If that is the case, then it will be necessary to retain space on the internal drive to enable swapping to and fro. .

Posted : 02/10/2016 4:37 pm
 Phil
Eminent Member

I still think there is a bit of confusion here. At the moment you have the original library file which you have loaded into one of the eight library areas of the montage. You have used the import function to bring some of these library performances into the user area of the memory. From this point you can save this data as either a user or a library file onto your USB stick. If you save it as a user file then loading it back in at some point in the future will overwrite what would currently be on the user area. If you save it as a library file when you load it back in it will leave the user area untouched and will load the data into one of the remaining free library areas.

Its important to remember the distinction between files and memory areas. A file is something that you save to on the USB stick (as either a user file or a library file) with both being the contents (more or less) of what is in the user area. In addition a file is also something that you can load from the USB stick (and where it goes depends on the type of file it was). Only audio files can be read directly from, the USB stick - everything else needs to be loaded.

Posted : 02/10/2016 5:15 pm
Bad Mister

The Tyros is not anything like the Montage is this regard. Do not use it as a reference here.

When you first create a Library file, you do so by literally, backing up your USER memory.

It is just a file. It is the data that was in your USER bank. You cannot play data from there. It's on a USB stick. You cannot access this data in realtime from there to play synth sounds. In order to "Play" that data, you must install the data to a Montage in order to access 128 notes of stereo polyphony.

(When USB sticks can do that we will be years into the future.)

User => Library is a Save operation result is a File on a USB stick
Library => Montage is a Load operation result is an installation of that data to one of eight Library (semi-permanent) locations in your Montage

Posted : 02/10/2016 6:33 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Rob, my next Moessieurs video will about Load/save:Data utility and Library Import.

I have seen a lot of questions here and on Facebook Montage Community or on French Forums about library, where are library arp, waveforms .... so it need more clear explanations.

The video was near to be fisnish yesterday (without subtittles) and i have decide to remade a large part of it because of this questions.

I hope i can be enought clear to allow most of users to understand.

I think i can release it in on next week-end, i go now to record the audio mic part for data utility and library import 😉

Posted : 02/10/2016 6:37 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Phil - thanks for reinforcing my grasp of the USB/User/Library relationship. It is alien to me as I'm used to the Tyros, which as Bad Mister points out, is a very different animal! Thanks to Bad Mister too - I often make the error of assuming the two work similarly, but am being weaned off that idea! Pity they don't work similarly in some respects - I guess the Tyros USBs (2) store audio, not midi data. OK guys, concept shifted - I see that you can actually delete Libraries on the Montage, so it's just a matter of the USB being the permanent store for them, and copy them back into the Montage as required. If it ever comes to that - that's a whole lot of work to fill up all 8 Libraries!

Good, Joel! I shall look forward to seeing your video. Understanding the system is one thing - thinking you understand it is quite another. So your video should ram home the reality and dispel misconception. More power to your elbow!

Posted : 03/10/2016 4:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us