Limit on uploads?

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello - is there are limit on the size of uploads one can make? I just tried to upload a 500Mb file, which should take a couple on minutes at most, but gave up after 22 minutes ... it just wouldn't complete, nothing about being too big or anything. Huh?

Posted : 28/03/2017 8:37 pm
Bad Mister

? Upload it to where? The Montage?

Posted : 28/03/2017 11:06 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello BM - Um, surely I'd download to the Montage? No, I was attempting an upload to this site with a zipped file of piano Pfs - my Piano Category Library! TaRa! However, in the cold light of day even the 414Mb of zipped file is too big given my very wavery internet connection (I had forgotten that uploads are much slower than downloads) so I'll make some changes.

I have posted a question about saving to USB, and hope for enlightenmant! Thanks!

Posted : 29/03/2017 7:24 am
Bad Mister

Thanks, but no thanks. Please don't upload or attempt to upload 500MB of data to this site. Yikes ! 🙂
First, that would violate a lot of rules about distributing copyrighted data (unless you created the Waveforms yourself and are benevolently giving them away). And even then, this is not a global CLOUD - with the traffic we see here what would happen if a thousand folks uploaded half a gig of data?

Even the Bosendorfer data is copyrighted data and not for user distribution. We kindly ask Montage owners to register to get it. The information we get truly does help us better serve our customers. Please respect that request. Do not distribute that data...

Please don't.
Ask your questions. Keep your data.

The reason I asked is you posted in the Montage forum - the question is about the Site then... not Montage.

Posted : 29/03/2017 11:07 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello BM - You're right! My question concerned the site, not the Montage! Hadn't thought of that. I dimly see why I shouldn't 'distribute' Yamaha data, even though it's for other Yamaha owners who already have the data anyway - but OK - it was only because it's part of my Piano Category. I won't be sharing any of my stuff though - I don't use waveforms per se (yet!), just mix and layer and tweak existing Pfs or whatever from a variety of sources, which is what most tweakers do. Surely anyone who shares anything - including music and songs - is guilty of violating these rules? They seem absolutely Draconian in nature to me - I just like to see what others can do, and hope they might like to see what I do.

Posted : 29/03/2017 1:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your intent for how something should be used when you distribute it to a public area does not dictate how others will use it. So if you intend for only people who "already have the data anyway" to use your - in violation of license - distributed (lets assume copyrighted) material in a public forum - there's no control stopping someone who doesn't have the data already to download it - also in violation of the license.

Seems more straight-forward than you're making it. And draconian seems like a dramatic term to use for a simple and reasonable policy to not distribute material that has been designated as having a cost or only to be distributed by authorized channels.

An analogy would be medicine. If you had a cabinet full of medications prescribed to you by doctors in your medicine cabinet - and the date was still good - and you were not needing to take this medicine - you could decide to fill a basket full of these and leave them outside on a table with a sign "Free Medicine - Take it if you need it". Furthermore, you could have the thought that it's only to be used by people that really need it to help deal with an ailment. However, this should not be done because you cannot control just anyone from "experimenting" with your medicine. Makes sense to me. The pharmacy is the only authorized distribution point for the medication and people obtain a "license" for use by going to the doctor. Does draconian really fit? There are public health concerns with the medicine analogy - and there are analogous concerns when it comes to copyright - although mostly for financial protection for the original author. Indirectly, the health of Yamaha depends on the people doing their part to follow the terms of license for those items which this applies.

Posted : 29/03/2017 2:06 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - I'm interested to know under what terms Yamaha would allow their customers (who keep them in business) to freely share their versions of Yamaha sounds with others similarly inclined? There must be a mechanism for this - gigs, concerts, karaoke nights, a million public transgressions of these amorphous rules every day. Anyone intent on rooking Yamaha will do so anyway. So is there a tenable legal way sounds can be shared? Or is it a case of those obeying the rules remain locked up in lonely isolation, while everyone else has a good time?

Posted : 29/03/2017 3:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This has been covered.

Posted : 29/03/2017 3:11 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - it has? Then I missed it - where can I find it. please? If there's enough interest (there may not be) maybe we could have a licenced section for sharing?

Posted : 29/03/2017 4:24 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

From: https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/very-basic-what-s-a-commercial-sound#reply-19245

If you, from the ground-up, generate a new user performance and distribute that same performance as an X7B - then you know there is no commercial component. That is very simple without any ambiguity.

There is other advice in the same thread of different ways other than above to arrive at non-commercial content to trade.

... an example in the same thread

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/very-basic-what-s-a-commercial-sound#reply-19329
Starting with:

Here's how you do it:

This is a thread with the primary exchange directed towards you as the intended audience (although equally applies to any onlooker).

Posted : 29/03/2017 11:31 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - I remember the thread, but somehow missed your final response, which goes a long way to at least ameliorating the problem - a lot of my efforts are based on Yamaha Pre-sets (which up until now I had thought would get me a Gulag sentence for letting anybody else hear them). My initial reaction to the 'Connect' facility was to dismiss it as being too fiddly, but that may have been unfair. I'll have another look now its purpose has been made clear! A step in the right direction.

Posted : 30/03/2017 4:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us