Notifications
Clear all

Looping a performance..

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi -

At present I use a MOX6 linked to a P105 to create my music, but I was hoping to maybe upgrade to Montage later in the year.
There is however one thing - important to my own music making workflow - that I can't seem to find an equivalent for, in the information so far available for the Montage....

At present I often create several 8 or 16 bar patterns, each one a 'backing track' relating to a specific section of a song. Some patterns will have two or more versions of the same part of the song ... (some with 2 in a bar bass, some with 4 in a bar.. some with solo instruments playing the melody - some without...etc....)

I then like to play piano improvisations over the various recorded backing parts, selecting whichever pattern I wish as I go. Could be a 3 or 4 chorus version of the song - or it may be 20 or 30 chorus version, as I practice a particular idea..... Just live group practice really ..

I also connect a simple audio recorder to the output, and record the lot - as audio - to listen to how things have worked out. Gives me a chance to practice (and hopefully improve) my 'group' piano playing, with having to rely on the rest of the group being there all the time... Works out OK for me!

With Montage - as I understand it so far - there are no voice, song or pattern modes, just 'performance'. So hopefully could I replicate what I already do by creating a number of 'performances' as backing parts rather than 'patterns'?

What I haven't been able to find out is how to 'loop' these short performance segments on the Montage (as if they were 'patterns')...

It seems as if the only way is to record all the backing section 'performances' as one complete song, and then play through the whole thing from start to finish, without any way of repeating specific 8 or 16 bar sections along the way, in real time?

I don't use a DAW - my rig is 'standalone' - and I'm hoping not to have to get involved in that rather mysterious world....

From what I've read so far though, I maybe out luck trying to do this without a DAW connected to the Montage....unless I've missed something?...

Posted : 29/01/2016 4:13 pm
Bad Mister

You seem to understand that your workflow, with Patterns and all, is going to be impossible on Montage (no Pattern mode).

The Montage has 8 PARTs that can under Keyboard Control, 8 arpeggiators, and over 10,000 arpeggios to choose from.
Arpeggio phrase default to looping (but can be set as one shots), the 8 Parts can be used to construct backing ensembles as in Performance mode in the MOX6.

You did not have the workflow you described before you combined your MOX6 + P105
If you decide on a Montage, you will need to develop a new/different workflow.
You have the option to record/playback audio files direct to/from a USB drive connected to Montage, so you could create you backing tracks using this feature.

Posted : 29/01/2016 5:18 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply and suggestions...

"If you decide on a Montage, you will need to develop a new/different workflow"......... I can see that now.

Posted : 29/01/2016 6:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us