Notifications
Clear all

Loud Pops on Balanced Outputs of Montage 8

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 John
Topic starter

I'm getting pops on both L & R main audio outputs, but only when I use balanced cables. These pops are loud and unchanged by the Montage's main volume slider.

I initially started using balanced cables on my Montage 8 about a month ago and initially had no problems. Then, about a week ago, I noticed pops coming on one output only (don't remember if it was L or R). I tried swapping cables between L & R, but the problem did not follow the cable ... indicating to me that the Montage was the likely source of the pops.

The pops then came & went for a few days on one channel and now they are constant, and in both channels. The frequency of the pops is about 2 pops/second on the right channel and 1 pop/second on the left channel. I tried plugging the balanced cables into another set of inputs on the mixer that I'm using (Yamaha MG82cx) and the pops were still there. When I use the same balanced cables on the Montage's Assignable Outputs, no pops... i.e. they work fine. Also, when I use unbalanced cables on the L & R main audio outputs there are no pops.

The balanced cables I'm using are "10ft Premier Series XLR Male to 1/4inch TRS Male 16AWG Cable" which I purchased a month ago from Monoprice Monoprice Cables. Neither these cables nor the Montage were moved between the time when there was no pops and when the pops showed up again.

All of the above factors seem to indicate to me that the pops originate in the Montage's L & R main audio outputs, but only when balanced cables are used. I'm planning on trying a completely different set of balanced cables from a different manufacturer, and if the pops are still present, I'm exchanging my Montage for a new one later this week. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions on what else I could try, I would appreciate hearing them.
Thanks.

Posted : 02/07/2016 8:14 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

First I would definitely try different cables to see if that might be the problem. Other things to try:

Factory reset: Under Utility Settings there is a factory reset. Back up any data you have created FIRST then perform a complete factory reset.
Firmware: Make sure you are running the current firmware version. This can be found in the same place under Utility. The firmware updates are found here.

If you are still having issues after this you can certainly go to your Yamaha dealer for an exchange or you can contact Yamaha customer support. (Assuming your are in the US...for other countries go to the main Yamaha site and select your country). This is a very strange issue and not common at all, but if there IS an issue with the Montage itself rest assured it will be taken care of!

Posted : 02/07/2016 9:04 pm
 John
Topic starter

Under Utility Settings there is a factory reset.

I don't see "Factory Reset" under Utility-Settings ... are you referring to "Initialize All Data"?

Posted : 03/07/2016 1:21 am
Bad Mister

See page 15 in your Owner's Manual: Restoring the initial factory settings (Initialize All Data) for details.

Posted : 03/07/2016 10:33 am
 John
Topic starter

I found the source of the pops... operator error! The "Phantom +48V" button on my Yamaha MG82cx mixer was on ... don't know how it happened, because I've never intentionally turned this on. Anyway, with the button off, everything works fine.

Posted : 03/07/2016 11:57 pm
Bad Mister

Ouch! But glad to here you discovered the problem.

Posted : 04/07/2016 6:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us