Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

LP through montage AD loses definition and clarity as cmpd to going directly through a key largo

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Since Im currently without a musical goal I ended up noodling the 80s classic Axel F in my home studio. I used the moog LP for bass, and my montage for the lead. Im running all my synts through a key largo into my motu 828, through a mackie big knob and out to my tascam monitors. Then I came up with what I thought was a brilliant ide. Run the LP through the montage ad in and use some of the montage effects. For some reason the tone of the moog just died taking it through the montage, also without effects, It totally lost definition and clarity. And yes the levels were balanced....put my moog lp back into my key largo. Mmmm ....any ideas of what happened?

Posted : 04/01/2019 10:00 pm
Bad Mister

There are so many things you could have messed up... lol. I take it the Moog LP is monophonic (both in polyphony and as an audio source)... how did you deal with it’s signal going through the MONTAGE?

You gave us some details but none where it counts...
how did you setup the A/D Input Channel On MONTAGE (that is likely where the mistake is made).
What MONTAGE Insertion Effect processors are you running it through?
What Output did you assign it through?
Did you check it with headphone connected directly to the MONTAGE Phones jack (this will let you quickly eliminate anything post MONTAGE). If the signal in the Phones is clear and clean, then you’ll know it is post the MONTAGE.

There are many places you could mess things up!!
Recommended, try running the signal in as a Line Input, plug into the “L Mono” Input; Set the A/D IN to reflect the “L Mono” Input; do not assign any Insertion Effects initially... try just passing the signal through the MONTAGE with no processing. Assign it to the Main L&R. Listen through headphones connected directly to the MONTAGE. Let us know.

Posted : 05/01/2019 3:32 am
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mr,

I basically did what you described last. Also checked this morning that all the masterfx where off which they were. I guess its the handling of mono to stereo that differs. It might also be differences in eq response going direct into the key largo/through the montage AD, Ill see if a subtle reduction around 400 Hz and a little boost in the top range could bring the sound to life again.

Posted : 05/01/2019 7:43 am
Bad Mister

I guess its the handling of mono to stereo that differs.

I highly doubt it... Unless you were setup improperly. Make sure the peak LED on MONTAGE front panel only flashes on at the highest peak levels. If the red light remains on, you’re close to clipping. That degrades the sound. As a Line Input you will not need much Gain from the A/D In.

It might also be differences in eq response going direct into the key largo/through the montage AD

I’m sorry I don’t know what a Key Largo is (other than a classic movie and a vacation location in Florida). But for the purpose of tracking down what’s going on, eliminate it so that you can get to understand how Your MONTAGE works. If it’s a question — take it out of the loop while testing.

Recommended: When you have too much gear, it’s a good idea to breakdown the system... eliminate everything, deal with just the A/D In Source and the MONTAGE. This is just to understand what you’re dealing with — simplify. Then once you are able to pass the signal through the MONTAGE without degrading it, start to add back your other gear. This way you don’t wind up guessing at exactly *where* the anomalies are occurring.

It has been our experience, thus far, that people notice an improvement in sonic quality in the things they route through the MONTAGE... So when you report that your results are different, we have to be curious about your results. We have no idea what you’ve been listening through... but if you are now down to picking at particular frequency tweaks... (it might be a deficiency in your Monitoring System or the shape of your room, or the placement of your speakers... ) we don’t know if you’re listening through a keyboard amp or a pair of NS10Ms, or if you have a sub or even what your expectations are... for that we depend on you. Perhaps you should be A/B’ing the Mono synth straight to the sound system, with the Mono synth running through MONTAGE.

At any rate, work with as few items as you can until you figure what’s degrading the results. Remember, adding a new item to any large system means reconstructing the system. The results of running an input through the MONTAGE should yield spectacular results. Try a different source... work with the A/D Input until you can gain stage and confidently route a flat signal through the MONTAGE.

Extra Credit:
Setting up the A/D Input
Video On MONTAGE A/D Input

Posted : 05/01/2019 10:32 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Also checked this morning that all the masterfx where off which they were.

Just wanted to be sure there was clarity here in what you did. If you touch the "FX" icon at the top of the touch screen, this will bring you to the effects on/off screen. There are several levels of effects presented here: Insertion, System, and Master. You said "masterfx" - which implies only one level -- but use of plural also implies you most likely switched off all levels. I think what you meant was you switched off the Master effects as well as all other levels (including insertion and system). Let me know if this is true - or be sure to go back and turn off all levels as a "quick and dirty" way to remove effects from the picture.

The other way should be to start with an Init Normal (AWM2) Performance which doesn't have any effects to begin with.

Posted : 05/01/2019 9:17 pm
Eminent Member

I run a mix of MO6, Korg Odyssey, and vocals thru the AD in and I have found insertion effects as well as EQ make my other boards, (and even my vocals), sound great. I find I use the on board reverb and var, and then the trick is to get the right insertion effects and eq on the A/D in. The compressors are killer, try the Classic with Vintage Keyboard patch, and also the Flange Chorus .... my Korg can sound silly straight... but just rocks thru the compression, and effects of the Montage. A/D Inserts are Key

Posted : 07/01/2019 11:04 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us