Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

M8X - how do you turn the Quick Edit light off so you can again display the 8 common knobs in the sub display?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

When you first load a performance the Quick Edit knob is a dim red color indicating it can be selected.

At that time the sub display shows the Low, Mid, High and current settings for the 8 common knobs.
See the 'Super Knob' screen here:
https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/synth/montage_m/en/om02screenparameters0050.html

Once you press the Quick Edit button it turns bright red and the sub display now shows common, part
or groove parameters depending on the Quick Edit setting of: 'Selected Part', 'Multi Part' or 'Groove'.

How do you turn the Quick Edit button off? Pressing it again doesn't work. Pressing and holding doesn't work.

Hopefully I've overlooked something really simple and someone can show me the error of my ways.

Posted : 12/11/2023 5:09 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

[ASSIGN] ?

Just a guess.

Posted : 12/11/2023 5:27 am
Prominent Member
Topic starter

[ASSIGN] ?

Just a guess.

Awww - c'mon - you're being kind. I bet you knew that all along. Makes me glad I said this

Hopefully I've overlooked something really simple and someone can show me the error of my ways.

Either the ASSIGN or the QUICK EDIT button is ALWAYs lit. For some reason I've never noticed that before.

I just tested and haven't found any way to extingiuish both of them.

Oddly there are no results at all in either the quick guide or the ops doc if you actually search for 'Assign Button'. But page 19 of the Quick Guide describes that graphic you graciously provided

5-7 [ASSIGN] button
When this button is activated, Knobs 1–8 are ready to be used as assignable knobs

And page 38 of the ops doc mentions the button in discussing the super knob settings

If the [ASSIGN] button is turned on (and the button is lit), you will see the changes to the Knobs
1 to 8 on the indicator and the Sub display.

Thanks again. Not sure how I missed but sometimes it's the 'forest' vs. the 'trees' thing and there's no moss to tell you the direction out.

Posted : 12/11/2023 6:09 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't have any access to a Montage M so I have to rely mostly on my knowledge of the Montage classic. The guess was based off of how the original Montage works but I wasn't sure if there was a slightly new wrinkle in the M.

Posted : 12/11/2023 6:43 pm
Bad Mister

The 8 Knobs have to have a function (they never disappear). They are either (1 of 3) QUICK EDIT functions or they are the COMMON ASSIGN or PART ASSIGN KNOBs… similar to how the Knobs are Quick Edit or Assign Knobs in the original MONTAGE.

The Quick Edit, when selected, would put Knob icons in the original MONTAGE’s one screen… these would be 1 of 3 rows of 8 Quick Edit Knob functions or the 8 Assign Knobs.

This area is greatly expanded with 8 dedicated buttons, 8 Knobs and the SubDisplay screen.
The buttons give you quick access via one or two PAGEs of parameters, and shortcuts to navigating to deeper editing areas via the [PAGE JUMP].

Posted : 12/11/2023 7:57 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

This area is greatly expanded with 8 dedicated buttons, 8 Knobs and the SubDisplay screen.
The buttons give you quick access via one or two PAGEs of parameters, and shortcuts to navigating to deeper editing areas via the [PAGE JUMP].

Yep - PAGE JUMP seems to mostly take you to the main screen you would expect the reverse (SHIFT PAGE JUMP) doesn't always take you to the sub display you would expect.

When on the 'performance -> Motion Control -> Super Knob' screen you have acce3s to the super knob min/mid/max values and link switchest.

So I thought using SHIFT PAGE JUMP would take me to that 8 common knob screen on the sub display. Nope- the jump won't change the sub display at all. That is when I started looking for a way to bring the common knob display back but didn't realize that the QUICK EDIT and ASSIGN button were essentially tied together and worked as a pair.

Still exploring, and getting used to, the navigation possibilities and occasionally get slowed down by not having another Montage/Modx to compare things to.

From some main screens you can move to another screen and then go back to the one you just came from in one step. For other screens you can't get directly back to where you came from but have to do the 'tree traversal' all over again. Still sorting it out.

Posted : 12/11/2023 8:19 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us