Notifications
Clear all

M8X - M series will support MIDI 2.0 per Yamaha support

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

After getting my M8X I reached out to Yamaha support with some questions - this is one of them

Does the M8X support MIDI 2.0 and/or MPE?

I just received their response:

Yes, MONTAGE M will support MIDI 2.0 when it launches. MPE is included in the MIDI 2.0 specification.

Screen Capture: Sorry, we don’t have that information at this time.

The second line was in response to my asking about how to take a screen shot. Notice that I asked about M8X and the reply said 'MONTAGE M. I presume that means that all three M models will support MIDI 2.0

The most recent MIDI 2.0 update was just in June of this year and is now out of NDA restriction. This is MicroSoft's announcement that they are opening their repository to the public now that the NDA has ended:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/windows-music-dev/hello-midi-2-0-were-opening-the-repo/

Hello MIDI 2.0 – We’re opening the repo!
. . .

That link also describes the ongoing work Microsoft is doing the create the necessary drivers and components to fully support MIDI 2.0

Posted : 18/10/2023 11:33 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not surprising considering the work on MIDI 2.0 Yamaha has been involved with. Nice, of course, to get an official confirmation.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 19/10/2023 12:06 am
Eminent Member

Yes!! That's what I was waiting for!

Posted : 19/10/2023 7:21 pm

Not surprising considering the work on MIDI 2.0 Yamaha has been involved with. Nice, of course, to get an official confirmation.

Posted : 21/10/2023 7:08 am
Reputable Member

[quotePost id=123950]Yes!! That's what I was waiting for![/quotePost]

Sadly, wishing being wrong, MIDI 2 is what you've been waiting for, you're still waiting, and we'll keep waiting.

????
????

Posted : 21/10/2023 8:46 am
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123974][quotePost id=123950]Yes!! That's what I was waiting for![/quotePost]

Sadly, wishing being wrong, MIDI 2 is what you've been waiting for, you're still waiting, and we'll keep waiting.

????
????[/quotePost]

I think we have good reasons to be optimistic, the MIDI 2 specifications were made public very recently. The hardware is already here, the OS implementations almost there (both Apple and Microsoft are working on it, with a planned first release for Windows by the end of the year). The delayed Cubase 13 apparently already feature MIDI 2, and other DAWs already have it or will support it on following releases.

I just wanted Montage M to be at least MIDI 2 capable, as I plan to use it for many years to come. That 8 knobs + secondary screen section is perfect for automapping, very similar to how the new NI Kontrol MK3 and the soon to be released Korg Keystage will implement it. I am more excited about device/VST auto-discovery, so I hope the implementation in Montage M will feature it - even if we have to wait a few more months.

Posted : 21/10/2023 6:12 pm
Reputable Member
Prominent Member
Topic starter

There's no shame in Korg being #2 to release a product!

Posted : 25/10/2023 7:34 pm
Reputable Member

[quotePost id=124021]There's no shame in Korg being #2 to release a product![/quotePost]

Will Yamaha be last adopting dimmable screen(s) ?

????
????

Posted : 25/10/2023 8:19 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

You'll have to ask Yamaha that question. They are the ONLY ones that can tell you what they are, or are not, going to do.

You can use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom right of this page.

Please post the answer they give you.

You can also post your suggestion on IdeaScale - that is Yamaha's recommended way of making suggestions about their products.

Posted : 25/10/2023 8:23 pm
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=124020]Here we go...

https://www.musicradar.com/news/korg-announces-keystage-its-first-midi-20-keyboard-controller-with-polyphonic-aftertouch-audio-out-and-official-integration-with-abelton-live

[/quotePost]

It uses fixed pots instead of endless encoders... how does this make sense?..

Not only pots can't jump to new values (and switching parameters is one of the main features of this keyboard); but MIDI 2 has now a resolution of 4 billion steps, and Korg decided to compress it in the small travel of a potentiometer knob...?

What am I missing?

Posted : 25/10/2023 9:13 pm
Reputable Member

[quotePost id=124023]

You'll have to ask Yamaha that question. They are the ONLY ones that can tell you what they are, or are not, going to do.

You can use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom right of this page.

Please post the answer they give you.

You can also post your suggestion on IdeaScale - that is Yamaha's recommended way of making suggestions about their products.

[/quotePost]

No, thanks. I buy what is already available. And they don't need my advise whatsoever, for sure.

????
????

Posted : 25/10/2023 9:43 pm
Reputable Member

[quotePost id=124025][quotePost id=124020]Here we go...

https://www.musicradar.com/news/korg-announces-keystage-its-first-midi-20-keyboard-controller-with-polyphonic-aftertouch-audio-out-and-official-integration-with-abelton-live

[/quotePost]

It uses fixed pots instead of endless encoders... how does this make sense?..

Not only pots can't jump to new values (and switching parameters is one of the main features of this keyboard); but MIDI 2 has now a resolution of 4 billion steps, and Korg decided to compress it in the small travel of a potentiometer knob...?

What am I missing?[/quotePost]

Well, remember when USB C was released and
some came without all the lanes....?

????
????

Posted : 25/10/2023 9:45 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

No, thanks. I buy what is already available.

Then there is no point at all in posting this

Just check each new product as it comes out and you will get your answer.

Posted : 25/10/2023 9:50 pm
Reputable Member

[quotePost id=124028]

No, thanks. I buy what is already available.

Then there is no point at all in posting this

Just check each new product as it comes out and you will get your answer.
[/quotePost]

Given the lack of very basic features that are taken as granted, but systematically not implemented, I will probably not bother...

????
????

Posted : 26/10/2023 8:16 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us