4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
jayeson
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Setting up a new M1 Mac Mini
It came with OS Monterey
Does the latest (Yamaha) Montage driver work with this setup?

Thanks

Posted : 17/11/2021 11:28 pm
Bad Mister

No. I don’t think so…

Monterey OS 12 - The successor to macOS Big Sur, was officially released on October 25, 2021.

Link — News: Big Sur Compatibility

Testing is still ongoing with the BigSur update. If and when there is progress it will be reported here.
The Driver download page will always list what is compatible with the current version.

Posted : 17/11/2021 11:34 pm
jayeson
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Mr BIg

Any suggestions what I should do in the meantime?
My old Montage drivers were working on Big Sur
I suppose my only option is to download the latest Yamaha driver and hope for the best?

Posted : 17/11/2021 11:52 pm
Bad Mister

In general, being the first on the block to get any computer with a new Operating System is risky for several months (I’m afraid). We, as musicians, would like to think that we are an important niche market to the computer manufacturers. Reality has proven over more than 30 years, we are not.

Eventually, things catch up — sometimes nothing special needs to change, but when the entire Chipset and computing architecture goes through a major change — ask around, it can be quite some time before all your software, plugins, and additional hardware are working as they did previously. Your mileage will vary. We have just entered another one of those eras.

In the meantime, see if you can run it with what’s available.
If not, make a note- and remember, this is not the first time the computer companies break some of things that concern music-making.

Of course, it’s all based on a promise of major improvements in the future. If you believe they made these major changes to benefit musicians specifically (STOP!) Although we may indeed benefit down the line, the closer you are to a major change like the recent Mac ChipSets changes… the less likely for a smooth transition.

It is wise to wait (unless you are being paid to be a beta tester) when it comes to cutting edge, new OS computers. (If you want to be on the cutting edge, there’s usually blood out there initially.)
Check back here and with each of the companies whose software plugins/hardware devices you deal with in attempt to turn your computer into a proper music production tool… stay on top of the Compatibility Lists… you can believe Testing is ongoing.

Try the BigSur Driver (I understand with the Silicone set things are working, but inconsistent reports on the Intel set)… look for more official test results, hopefully very soon, now.

Posted : 18/11/2021 9:55 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us