Notifications
Clear all

Memory leaks

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Since I put on the latest update, I loose my romance strings typically during the second set. That is, I choose that performance and there's no sound. Solution is to turn off the Montage and back on.

Posted : 30/04/2017 11:39 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

It would be worth attempting to get to the bottom of what's going on with that performance. If it's the only performance with an issue - then narrowing down what's different about it would be helpful. If it's a preset (not your own variation) - do you select it from the live set or from a category search?

There are some other possibilities other than a memory leak - and a memory leak should affect the resources of just about every performance equally. Perhaps those with more resources first.

If it's your own variation - then there are more things to have to check rather than if it was just a "stock" preset.

Posted : 01/05/2017 1:49 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

It's yamaha's performance as is. There are other signs of a problem, too. For example, the mod wheel is active when it shouldn't be. Etc... As a computer professional for more than 40 years, I think I know when there's a problem and possible cause.

EDIT: the sound, romance strings is in a performance I made and it is silent there, too.

Posted : 01/05/2017 1:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not doubting your technical prowess. With limited information comes unlimited possibilities due to all the blank filling still needed to triage an issue. Maybe you checked all the other possibilities - I just didn't see that detail.

Given the stock sound exhibits this issue of becoming silent - this helps of course.

And thus far, other preset performances do not have the same issue - just "Romance Strings" (preset 282)?

Now that you've filled in another blank - the mod wheel - I think we may be getting somewhere. Perhaps some "errant" modwheel activity is causing your problem with Romance Strings - possibly more likely than a memory leak.

I say this because when I move the mod wheel on Romance strings - and keep the superknob in its default position - the strings go silent. On the summary screen, I see the meter (volume) for PART 1 bobbing just ever so slightly when I hit keys - but really no sound comes out because the volume has been offset very low by the modwheel.

If your modwheel is in the full "UP" (rolled-forward) position - then you'll see the volume is cut off from the strings. Maybe your modwheel is NOT set this way - but some other hardware "issue" is making the modwheel register as if it was set this way. There's also other possibilities for the modwheel being affected - but I'll just start with modwheel as the general hypothesis.

If this is indeed related, then rotating the superknob clockwise will bring in the glockenspiel sound.

Note that, although a different component, there has been one board with a faulty rotary encoder. It's possible that the POT on your modwheel has some issue. Could be lots of things. Even your memory leak theory - although I still say it's only one among many possibilities. Note: the POT theory has a very low probability as well - given POTs don't "reset" when power cycling the keyboard and don't carry enough current to be affected by this event. Just throwing the general component failure possibility out there.

I'm sure this isn't your issue - but another user had a similar problem with a preset and it turned out he was "bumping" the ribbon controller and messing up a preset. If sometime in your first set you've set the mod wheel to "full up" then it only takes a little "bump" down on the mod wheel to cut the string sounds off. So some of these performances have "gotchas" with the controls - and these are the sorts of things that would clear from a power cycle.

... and I'm sure you don't have an external MIDI controller because that could throw a ratchet into the modwheel setting.

Posted : 02/05/2017 12:46 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you. The only other thing I can tell you is that this was not a problem until after the latest update was applied. It could be that certain resources are not being freed up so eventually there isn't enough memory for new needs. This could explain why it isn't a problem until after a period of time. It could also be that when a new performance is selected, it's not initializing all elements. That is, it may only be setting those elements that exist in the newly selected performance.

You do not need to respond to me again. I just needed to know that the right person is aware of a problem. Thanks for being available.

Pete

Posted : 04/05/2017 7:02 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm absolutely not the right person for anything to do with fixing the keyboard internals since I'm just a Yamaha customer like you. BM or Nate or someone on Yamaha payroll needs to take this up in order for you to be sure it's being checked out by someone who can tap the firmware/OSdev team(s).

One way to attempt to be sure Yamaha has it on their radar is, in addition to what you've done, is to contact Yamaha customer support and get the right technical support rep on the phone. I've found this to be a useful avenue for some issues. Support varies - but there's more than one customer/tech support rep that can field nuts-and-bolts type issues.

Posted : 04/05/2017 7:41 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

@Peter: You could try dropping back to an earlier version of the firmware and see whether the problem persists or goes away.

Posted : 04/05/2017 10:54 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

As previously stated, this issue did not exist until I applied the latest update. I had sent this issue to what I believe was Yamaha tech support, but have heard nothing in response.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Posted : 08/05/2017 1:40 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us