Notifications
Clear all

Midi note on/off

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello
Is it possible to send midi note on/off from just one part. I ve tried to « zone master off » all the other parts, but they still send note on/off via midi out.
While I’m on stage, I want to control a light console from one part of a performance, so that I can assign different notes (different light show) according to the song.
Thanks

Posted : 23/03/2018 12:29 pm
Bad Mister

You can setup the MONTAGE to send out what you need. I would need a bit more information about what you are trying to setup. I’m sure you got here because you’ve discovered, unless you program something, (if left to the factory defaults) MONTAGE naturally Transmits on multiple MIDI Channels simultaneously.

Shocking at first, but completely understandable when you are controlling both synth sounds (direct), and arpeggiated/motion sequenced sounds indirectly, even triggering drum grooves... naturally you’d need to keep the controlled Part’s MIDI data separated.

The MONTAGE with a Single Part Performance transmits on a single channel, a two Part Performance on two channels, and so on, through to eight Part Performances transmit on eight channels, simultaneously. The first eight Parts are referred to as the KBD CTRL Parts.

We can pretty much state as a rule, if you are going to connect the MONTAGE to anything via standard 5-pin MIDI, you will want to engage the ZONE MASTER function. ZONE MASTER is activated globally in [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced”
Once activated, two additional programming screens are added to each and every Performance that allow you customize and manage internal and external devices connected via MIDI, on a per Performance basis.

The external device can be controlled, and in the case where it is a sound module, you can integrate it into the MONTAGE’s Motion Control Synthesis Engine. For lighting commands you can dedicate a Zone in each Performance to preset/control your lighting.

Things I would need to know involve:
_ whether the receiving device can be dedicated to a specific channel, thus acting as the easiest way to isolate its data. If it can be set to a specific channel, what are your options.
_ what are your requirements from the MONTAGE as a music device... in other words, are you using it play live? MONTAGE by default wants to use MIDI channels 1 through 8 for itself... you can turn Off MIDI transmit from any Zone, and any Zone can transmit on any channel. Are you simultaneously playing and controlling the lights, or do you want to control separately?

A Zone setting is made by first activating the MONTAGE Part. This is done by “+” adding a Part and assigning a Program... you can then decide to use this newly added Part for an internal sound or (by turning the INT SW to Off) you can designate it as an external control, and set a MIDI Channel for it to Output.

There are 16 slots in a Performance. Any or all of them can be setup as a Zone...meaning you could dedicate a slot to be the slot to control lighting.
So for example, you could have slots 1-8 reserved for you as keyboard player interacting with MONTAGE... You could dedicate any slot 9-16 as the Zone slot that will always control your lighting. This means when you recall the Performance you can send Bank Select, Program Change, cc007, cc010 to your external device... if you need to interact with lighting directly, in real time, you would simply select “Part 9”, and your keyboard and controllers are now all set to control lighting.

If however, you wish to have simultaneous control over musical MONTAGE playing and your lighting control, you can make your lighting commands one of the first eight zone slots. The first eight slots can be integrated into simultaneously doing music and lighting (as long as you can set your lighting rig to a single channel).

Either way you have many options, if your lighting rig is flexible (programming-wise) you can integrate its response into the Motion Control Engine as well.

Posted : 23/03/2018 1:25 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your helping answer.
Now it works!
I was wrong thinking that « zone master off » would stop midi transmit:/
The good way is « zone master on «  and « midi send » off!

Posted : 24/03/2018 10:33 am
Topic starter

Now I have another problem:
As I turned zone master on, I am able to control my light console from a part of my performance. That’s what you explained above, and that’s good.
But, I can’t control anymore the whole performance with my keytar:/ only the part with the same midi channel plays!!!
Is it possible to assign a same midi channel IN for all the parts? As we can do for the transmit channel.
Or is there another way to do this, knowing that there are no keytar who can transmit omni midi or multichannel:/
Thanks

Posted : 17/04/2018 1:41 pm
Bad Mister

To answer your question, as I mentioned in my initial reply, I would need to know more about the nature of your external device (lighting), I asked but got no reply. You are not (apparently - I can only guess in lieu of a reply to the nature of you lighting control needs) actively controlling the lighting if your running around the stage with a “keytar” - so perhaps you can find a different solution to send info to your lighting rig.

You cannot use the Montage to actively control an external device (requires Zone Switch = On) and have the MONTAGE is Single I/O Mode. The reason is obvious, you cannot be in Multi Transmit Mode and Single Receive Mode.

This does not mean you can’t find a solution, but for any further help please consider replying to the questions about the nature of the control you need over your lighting. To me, this is NOT “another problem” it is very much the SAME problem raised in your initial question. Wish I could help further... but I don’t have enough input from you, sorry.

Posted : 18/04/2018 1:43 pm
Topic starter

Yes I’m running around the stage with my keytar, and control my light console (stairville 2420mk2) in real time with dedicated parts of each performance. The scenes of the light show are on and off with midi note on. They are patched on different notes through different midi channel. For example, scene 1 is note 100 on channel 1, scene 40 is note 119 on channel 2, etc...
I have programmed all the scenes, so I know which note on which channel I have to programme in the dedicated part of my performance.
This important for me, because that way, I have a light show according to the performance (a song).
But, if there is no possibility to set the midi channel in of a part, I have to choose between lights and keytar:/
Does yamaha have a keytar sending midi omni? I didn’t find any...

Posted : 18/04/2018 4:53 pm

The solution to this problem is one MANY users are begging for. Yamaha, please release a firmware update that will allow users to set the MIDI receive channel for each Part.

Posted : 18/04/2018 5:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us