Notifications
Clear all

MIDI problem with Logic Pro x

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have a weird midi connection problem with my Mac and montage. I have downloaded usb drivers of montage for macOS. There was no problem with Cubase. In my setup I am using apogee symphony desktop, montage, behringer x control. In logic preferences as audio input I use symphony desktop. In logic when I open a project file whenever I touch mac’s keyboard ( space bar , r, button, and other play, rec buttons ) I hear notes from montage. Whenever I play montage I can hear notes however logic pros control menus ( etc. jog button, cycle button, play, pause etc ) is randomly controlled by montage’s keybed. I can’t even record midi. I have tried standalone/ midi rec on daw/ audio rec on daw options but nothing changes.

Posted : 11/11/2020 2:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Part of this seems to match Logic's "Musical MIDI Keyboard" function.

Posted : 11/11/2020 3:06 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I do not use software midi keyboard on logic. Eg when you press play or stop buttons yok hear c and d notes on montage

Posted : 11/11/2020 5:55 pm
Bad Mister

When functions in your DAW software trigger notes on your attached Tone Generators it is a clear indication of your MIDI Ports being assigned improperly. The MONTAGE appears to your computer as three USB MIDI Ports.

Each Port represents a MIDI In (16 channels) and a MIDI Out (16 channels).

MONTAGE Port 1 is the MIDI In and Out for music performing (Note-on, Tempo, Controllers, etc).
MONTAGE Port 2 is the MIDI In and Out for DAW Remote Control Surface communication.
MONTAGE Port 3 is the MIDI In and Out for the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel. Allows an external device to communicate to/from the computer when the MONTAGE is set to MIDI I/O = USB

Check your MIDI settings for the Remote Control Surface setup in Logic... it must be set to “Mackie Control” and set to MIDI Port 2 for both In and Out
If, for example, you set it to Port 1, it has no choice but to trigger notes on your MONTAGE Tone Generator because that Port is to be used exclusively for music data.

The MONTAGE Port 2 uses the 16 channels to activate and deactivate functions within the supported DAW, when the MONTAGE is placed in DAW Remote mode. The manufacturers of the DAW software construct a series of commands that can be used to open windows, make selections, Mute tracks, Solo tracks, etc., etc. You need to keep these Remote commands separate from the music data and vice versa.

Crossed the other way, playing keys on the keyboard might cause a DAW window to open or close... MIDI commands come in On/Off Switches — you can understand how Notes can be used as On and Off functions, while sliders and knobs can be used to change continuous values, etc., etc. all the MIDI commands on Port 2 have simply been give a specific job to do.

Music data and Remote Control data must be kept on discreet ports so that what you are experiencing does not happen.

Posted : 11/11/2020 6:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us