Clear all

MIDI SIGNAL BUT NO SOUND: Modx In Cubase

20 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi
I got an RME Babyface Pro and a MODX
Trying to run it on Cubase but it doesn’t work. I got a midi signal but NO sound
I’m on Windows 10

I have set everything up like this (file attached)

I don’t know what’s wrong maybe I’m missing something.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Attached files

Posted : 15/03/2022 2:28 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't see your setup for MODX in ASIO4All (like you showed for RME). Also, I'm not too familiar with using external instruments like this because I always assign MODX as audio inputs as seen on Capture22.jpg.

MODX has more than 2 digital outputs so I'm interested in seeing how that was setup in ASIO4All.

I'm also wondering why the external instrument gain for Kronos & MODX is set to 0dB.

Of course the RME has line inputs so you could plug MODX into those and get audio that way which seems to provide no downside if you're only going to be using 2 channels from MODX. That is, unless you have those RME inputs filled up with something else.

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:38 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

You shouldn't use ASIO4All.

What do you want to achieve?
What do you use the RME for?
What do you use the MODX and Kronos for?

Do you want to record the MODX digital audio via USB?

Posted : 15/03/2022 12:27 pm
Topic starter

[quotePost id=115134]You shouldn't use ASIO4All.

What do you want to achieve?
What do you use the RME for?
What do you use the MODX and Kronos for?

Do you want to record the MODX digital audio via USB?[/quotePost]

ASIO4All is the only way I could get sound....weirdly.
I switched to RME driver as interface and I got no sound.

I want the RME to be the audio interface of my system. I DONT want to use the audio interface of the MODX which is not as good and don't offer me the flexibilities of the Babyface.

I use the MODX and KRONOS as external synth, I want their sounds and midi recorded in CUBASE. (I use the PRO version)

Yes I want to record the MODX digital audio AND midi via USB.

More on this thread on Steinberg forum https://forums.steinberg.net/t/midi-signal-but-no-sound-modx-kronos-in-cubase/774252/5

I still didn't resolve my issue.

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:13 pm
Topic starter

[quotePost id=115133]I don't see your setup for MODX in ASIO4All (like you showed for RME). Also, I'm not too familiar with using external instruments like this because I always assign MODX as audio inputs as seen on Capture22.jpg.

MODX has more than 2 digital outputs so I'm interested in seeing how that was setup in ASIO4All.

I'm also wondering why the external instrument gain for Kronos & MODX is set to 0dB.

Of course the RME has line inputs so you could plug MODX into those and get audio that way which seems to provide no downside if you're only going to be using 2 channels from MODX. That is, unless you have those RME inputs filled up with something else.
[/quotePost]

The USB cable of the MODX carries audio and midi so I don't see why I would use the line in of the Babyface when I can record them directly in the computer, makes sense? please check this thread https://forums.steinberg.net/t/midi-signal-but-no-sound-modx-kronos-in-cubase/774252/5

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You would use RME's inputs to avoid the latency hit of adding MODX's driver PLUS ASIO4ALL.

I do understand what MODX is capable of but natively an audio setup only allows for a single driver to be active at a time. ASIO4ALL is a hack, kludge, "backdoor". I've used it and alternatives myself to prove certain things are possible with it. And, if you're OK with the downsides, using ASIO4ALL can be fine. The expected usage would not include ASIO4ALL and would have the RME as your single audio interface (as you prefer this interface). In expected usage, you would route MODX's analog audio into the RME and MIDI would continue to come from USB. Audio and MIDI need not come from the same audio interface even though both interfaces (MODX as an audio interface and RME) may have MIDI capabilities.

Still, something is wrong with your setup because ASIO4ALL should work, although possibly "badly" (depending on your expectations). I requested some screenshots of the ASIO4ALL configuration.

I would also, due to my lack of familiarity (not because it's necessarily a requirement) setup ASIO4ALL/MODX as an audio input and sanity check this routing to remove one "layer" of the DAW I'm not as familiar with. Both of these were mentioned previously.

I looked at your other thread and didn't see these details.

Plus I don't see any audio routing - Cubase is shown with only MIDI routing and, as you may be aware, MIDI does not transmit or receive sound.

Where are the speakers connected that you expect the MODX's audio to come out of? Are these speakers (monitors) connected to MODX, the RME interface, or something else? This is a detail of your "hardware" configuration and personal expectations.

You may want to add an audio track and make sure that the audio track(s) show up in your screen shots. The only way you would hear MODX from a MIDI-only routing scenario would be if MODX had monitors (speakers) connected to the Main L/R outputs and then it would be the responsibility of MIDI to instruct MODX to turn notes on/off in which case you'll hear MODX due to the natural consequence of following MIDI instructions. I don't gather this is what you want given the discussion thus far.

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:44 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=115135]I want the RME to be the audio interface of my system. I DONT want to use the audio interface of the MODX which is not as good and don't offer me the flexibilities of the Babyface. [/quotePost]
RME should be the audio interface for what? Do you record microphones or guitars? Or is it only for monitoring?
[quotePost id=115135]I use the MODX and KRONOS as external synth, I want their sounds and midi recorded in CUBASE. (I use the PRO version) [/quotePost]
I suspect you can get much better results and a lot more flexibility with the MODX if you use it as the audio interface and with its intended workflow, which will give you more audio channels via USB.
[quotePost id=115135]Yes I want to record the MODX digital audio AND midi via USB. [/quotePost]
You can only do that reliably if you use the MODX as the audio interface.
[quotePost id=115135]More on this thread on Steinberg forum https://forums.steinberg.net/t/midi-signal-but-no-sound-modx-kronos-in-cubase/774252/5

I still didn't resolve my issue. [/quotePost]
Yeah, seen that already on the Steinberg forum.

So:
1. In Windows you can only use one ASIO interface at once (or use ASIO4all which induces other problems);
2. It's true that the RME is a better interface overall than the audio interface in the MODX. But, you won't get a better quality recording from the MODX by recording its audio via the RME than you would via USB, using itself as an audio interface.

You have two straight forward options, IMO:
1. RME as an audio interface: Connect the Kronos to the A/D In of the MODX, connect the Main Out of the MODX to the Line In of the RME and use the RME as the audio interface. You can record the main out of the MODX OR the Kronos thru the MODX (or both already mixed, which deletes any possible flexibility). You need to check the docs about the AD In and routing. Monitors or headphones are also connected to the RME.
2. MODX as an audio interface (better IMO): You have 10 audio channels from the MODX to Cubase, via USB, the Main Out and 4 more stereo pairs. You connect the Kronos to the A/D In of the MODX and then route it to any of the 4 stereo channels available (you can also add Insert Effects to it, BTW). Check the image to see where do you set the routing. This way you can have the main MODX mix (main out), 3 other outputs for parts and whatnot and one stereo pair for the Kronos. MODX basically acts like a digital mixer. You can record the MODX and the Kronos at the same time this way. The monitors / headphones are connected to the MODX.

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:45 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

One more thing: the RME can also function standalone. That is, not connected to a computer or acting as an actual interface, but being just a digital mixer or a pre-amp.
So even in case 2 (MODX as audio interface), you CAN connect the stereo out from the MODX to the Line in of the Babyface Pro, if you want to have the Monitors or headphones connected to the Babyface pro, or if you want to use it as a Mic pre-amp.

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:50 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

And the promised image:

Posted : 15/03/2022 3:50 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

The missing Edit post feature in the new forum update is not good.

There is a 3rd option, if you insist on using the RME, but involves spending for one more device:
Set the RME as the audio interface. Connect the Kronos to the Line-In inputs on the RME and for the MODX add a DI box that outputs a mic-level signal. You can connect the outputs of that to the Mic-inputs of the RME.
It's a clean setup but you can't record mics with the RME and you lose the flexibility of the multi-channel USB audio for the MODX.

Posted : 15/03/2022 4:26 pm
Topic starter

[quotePost id=115141]The missing Edit post feature in the new forum update is not good.

There is a 3rd option, if you insist on using the RME, but involves spending for one more device:
Set the RME as the audio interface. Connect the Kronos to the Line-In inputs on the RME and for the MODX add a DI box that outputs a mic-level signal. You can connect the outputs of that to the Mic-inputs of the RME.
It's a clean setup but you can't record mics with the RME and you lose the flexibility of the multi-channel USB audio for the MODX.[/quotePost]

Thanks for this, I will print your replies out and will try to figure it out.
It's a shame that I'd be forced o use the MODX as an interface because I wanted the loopback feature of the RME. .. and that I will miss./
The RME is used for monitoring and mixing only in my case via TOtalMIX which I will not have on the MODX.
I contacted the RME support, seems like RME Babyface don't play well with Cubase, 3 or four threads on their forum got similar problems.

Posted : 15/03/2022 4:35 pm
Topic starter

I fear the dreadful "clicks and pops" while using the MODX as an interface tho...another advantage of using RME.
🙁

Posted : 15/03/2022 4:52 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You have options. There's no force to use MODX as the audio interface.

Posted : 15/03/2022 5:20 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Also note that "clicks and pops" are a function of using the MODX audio driver. If you're going to have a "click and pop" issue then this would be compounded by stacking another driver into the mix. Another reason why going in analog to RME would seem to be the configuration you're actually asking for. I'm not validating your fear of MODX's audio driver - but am simply stating that your current attempted configuration "runs towards" using the driver rather than away.

Using RME as your audio interface and not using MODX's native audio driver was the alternate configuration I suggest first as it seems to tick your requirements and stays away from things you'd prefer not to use.

Posted : 15/03/2022 6:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

With a synthesizer/cables/speakers (hardware) + computer (OS/drivers/3rd Party such as ASIO4All) + software (DAW, MODX Connect - not needed for your audio issue, etc) it is important to be proficient in each dimension.

I cannot make assumptions about what you know or do not know. I can only go by what information you provide. That the information is incomplete tends to indicate a lack of proficiency in all areas. That's fine - you're here to learn hopefully.

Your synthesizer/cable/speaker (hardware) setup is important. What cables are plugged in where. Where your studio monitors are (which device they're plugged into). And, if using multiple sets, which speakers are to deliver what audio source (Korg vs MODX vs DAW vs anything else). This includes both MIDI and audio connections. In some cases, like a USB cable, USB may be delivering audio and MIDI. So this is more of a physical description -- but there's also a layer of configuration of the hardware such as key system settings on MODX that have MODX work properly in a given configuration.

The computer is another layer to understand. Mac vs Windows - drivers (properly) installed and verified - various settings (perhaps driver buffer size, ASIO4All full configuration for each device, sometimes OS version becomes important, etc). Some operating systems need to be configured for audio changing security settings or other defaults.

The higher-level software level such as your DAW (Cubase including audio+MIDI routing, audio settings, etc) and any other "plug-ins" (VSTs, MODX Connect, etc) are important to understand. How to properly configure as well as comprehension of the differences between MIDI and Audio routing.

Each dimension interlocks with each other and leaving out any detail in any layer tends to point towards misconfiguration of the missing items. This is more descriptive (high level) than prescriptive. I'm outlining the philosophy of why I'm asking these (previously asked) questions.

Posted : 15/03/2022 6:25 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us