4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 C
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi

I do have the latest Operating System

So I’ve recorded a few songs in the sequencer and stored some mixer settings.

Here’s my process

I created and saved a new performance
I recorded a sequence with 6 individual tracks from that performance.
I went to mixing mode and changed my volume levels, reverb levels and pan settings.
I hit “store song & performance settings’
I played the song recording back and all was well - it played back with my new mixer settings.
Just to make sure, I stored the song and performance settings again
Then I chose another song and then went back to my previous song - only to find that none of the mixer settings had been stored

I’ve done this repeatedly

It’s as though the song has been locked

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Posted : 06/05/2018 12:17 pm
 C
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I’ve figured it out

Each time you want to change the mix, you have to save the performance separately - well, that’s how I got it to work.

I presume this is because the performance is directly associated with the song, so you can’t store the song mix settings unless you save the performance itself separately - even though there is an option to ‘store song and performance settings ‘

So in fact, this option only stores the song with the associated performance ?

Would I be correct in saying that the mixing option is not really about song mode but about performance mode?
After all, it is principally a live performance instrument !

Posted : 06/05/2018 1:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

"Store Song & Perf Settings" has nothing to do with the mixer settings. You need to grasp what this button does - as currently you are guessing (incorrectly).

See thread: https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/21015-store-song-perf-settings

The option may be more self-documented if the button was named "Link Song To A Performance".

Montage is not a Motif which has Song Mode, Performance Mode, Mixer Mode, etc. So do not confuse these old legacy terms (the modes) with this feature either. It would not be correct to say anything about Montage and "Song Mode" or "Performance Mode" since neither really exist. Montage is always in what we may think of, in Motif terms, as roughly the same as Motif's "Performance Mode" -- but there is no real "Mode" as Montage does not switch between any different Modes like Motif did.

Q: If "Song" no longer means "Song Mode" -- then what does "Song" mean on Montage?
A: "Song" denotes a MIDI file.

From the reference documentation:
https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/812529/montage_en_rm_a0.pdf

Page 10:

A Song is created by recording your keyboard performance as MIDI sequence data to individual Tracks.
The MONTAGE can store up to 64 Songs.

and Page 22:

Edit Buffer=Song ---After Saving Stores To ... ---> User Memory=Song ---Uses File Extension--> .MID

Posted : 06/05/2018 2:43 pm
 C
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you for your reply

Hopefully you can tell from my second post that I eventually figured it out and I am aware that it’s quite a departure from the motif series and doesn’t work in the same way.
My initial confusion stemmed from the term ‘store song & performance settings’

I take your point about not thinking about “modes” as such
I do actually prefer the montage system to the motif

I appreciate your detailed response

Posted : 06/05/2018 10:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us