Clear all

Montage 8 Initial Impressions

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Lawrence
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Picked Montage 8 up this afternoon, and just hooked it up using the balanced out for the moment. (I’m on a Mac, and it will take a bit of research on my part to figure out how to create an Aggregate Device so I can use the Montage built-in audio interface along with my Apogee Symphony (for monitoring).

The touch screen is phenomenal. It simply works, with instantaneous response, and easy to read, even with my ancient eyes. πŸ™‚ It’s true what they have said that you will be using it without even realizing it.

Although the action is supposed to be the same as the XF, I like it better. It seems quieter, smoother and tighter somehow.

The dynamic range is yuge (to coin a word that Mr. Trump uses).

I find that the FC-7 pedal (used to control the Super Knob) is quite light. I play pipe organ and so am accustomed to heavier pedals, I guess. I don’t know if the pedal tension can be adjusted.

I had planned to immediately turn of the blinking function of the Super Knob, but have already realized that it does (possibly) serve a purpose. For example, playing a pad type sound and then want to bring in the drums by switching on the arp - well, the blinking is helpful with timing, and perhaps less intrusive than a click track. It’s early, but for the moment I will leave it on.

Build quality seems fine, as I would have expected from a flagship instrument from Yamaha.

I do wish that Performances were numbered, and that there was a keypad for direct access. Yes, Live Set can be used as a workaround, but I’d rather it were otherwise.

From the sounds that I’ve tried so far, I’m very impressed and pleased. This seems like an β€œalive” instrument to me, not static. This is really yuge for me. (There's that word, again. πŸ™‚ )

My local store - Long and McQuade, Burlington in Ontario, Canada got in a 6 and an 8 yesterday. The kindly put a hold on the 8 for me. (The 6 is their demo floor model). So, boasting rights - I got the first one from that location! πŸ™‚

I do plan to make lots of demos of the various performances, but it will take some time to produce those.

Congratulations to Yamaha for producing this instrument. It's going to be a fun ride getting to know it and produce music using it.

Posted : 06/05/2016 6:59 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

Nice to hear your positive impressions.

My Montage 7 has been shipped and is arriving on Wednesday.

Posted : 07/05/2016 2:06 am
Lawrence
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I've been playing through some of the performances this morning, but have encountered a problem. My plan was to go through them all quickly, at least for the initial time. However, I keep getting stuck, not wanting to move on since I'm enjoying the current sounds so much. πŸ™‚

Loving this board already!

Posted : 07/05/2016 3:14 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Lawrence wrote:

I've been playing through some of the performances this morning, but have encountered a problem. My plan was to go through them all quickly, at least for the initial time. However, I keep getting stuck, not wanting to move on since I'm enjoying the current sounds so much. πŸ™‚

Loving this board already!

LOL! I can relate!
I stopped off after work at the local Guitar Center on a lark not really expecting a Montage to be there. Turns out a Montage 8 was setting there on display.
I sat down and was really diving in for about 20 minutes when my cell phone rang and my wife telling me that friends had stopped by and would I pick up and bring dinner home. Drats!! My fun was dashed!
I may get back there today. (I have a Montage 7 on order but won't get it until "late May/Early June")
Enjoy Lawrence!!

Posted : 07/05/2016 3:21 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us