Notifications
Clear all

Montage as a daw controller..

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Where the faq says Montage will not have Daw controll functionallity, i believe this is a mistake that Yamaha might correct in an update.. The 16up, 3 down audio device functionallity indicates that the instrument is meant to work in cooperation with a daw.. Actually i am pretty sure Yamaha will add this over time, they allready announced that there will be software that allows you to use your Montage as a Vst in your Daw..

Now i have some questions, i am a mac user, but soon switching to windows 10.. But when i have 3 audio channels to the Montage, can i use 3 different audio programs at the same time and let each of them send Audio to one of the 3 channels?

And another question, can i send 16 channels of midi from from a DAW sequencer to Montage? Using the soundengine of Montage from my DAW.

( its also a pitty you cant use the physical midi and midi over USB at the same time, you have to choose one)

I hope to get some answers, thanks in advance..

Posted : 27/01/2016 8:49 pm
Bad Mister

Now i have some questions, i am a mac user, but soon switching to windows 10.. But when i have 3 audio channels to the Montage, can i use 3 different audio programs at the same time and let each of them send Audio to one of the 3 channels?

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking about channels - my understanding is the 3 stereo buses from the computer to Montage are routed to specific destinations (the second pair feeds the internal Montage Mixer).

Computer Connectivity:
The Montage is a 32-in/6-out audio interface for the computer. This translates to 16 stereo audio buses coming from the Montage, and 3 stereo audio channels going from the computer to the Montage.

The 32 channels out (buses) of the Montage are seen as INPUTS to the computer. And are configured as follows: the main Stereo L/R plus 30 assignable Outputs via the single USB connection. The 30 assignables can be configured as individual mono buses or in odd/even stereo pairs, as necessary to accomplish your goal.

We'll have more information as time goes forward. But, I would anticipate that one stereo pair goes to the main L/R on the back panel, and second pair feeds the internal Montage internal mixer, and the third pair feeds the assignable L/R outputs on the back panel.

The Main L/R pair would allow you to feed the L/R outputs to your monitor speakers and would be the main audio interface output
The second pair USB L/R arrives in the MIXER of each PERFORMANCE as an audio input
The third pair ASGN L/R would be sent to assignable L/R jacks - and can be used for a second pair of monitors (if your DAW routing allows), or to feed a headphone amp system for multiple musicians.

And another question, can i send 16 channels of midi from from a DAW sequencer to Montage? Using the soundengine of Montage from my DAW.

Yes.

Posted : 27/01/2016 10:26 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the answer...

Let me enlighten a bit on my question... I asumed that the windows PC would show 3 audio outputs to the Montage, all identical, i messed the point that they might all have a different use...

Comming from a Mac, i am used to connct several audio apps to my output in paralel, so far i understood this does not work in Windows... You can only connect a single audio program to your soundoutput.

What i want to archieve, is running Cubase (or live) for recording and sequencing, Band in a box, V-arranger (all with VST connectivity) on a Microsfoft Surface tablet, ... All have audio outputs (and midi) .. and i want to run them at the same time... (And if Steven Kay ever makes a Karma for Montage then i want to add that to, but thats only midi)

Now if the 3 stereo channels from the Montage would show up as sepperate outputs, i toight it would be possible to connect each of my 3 programs to one of those outputs.. Combined with a good tool for midirouting this should do the job...

To bad, i understood from your explanation, that this will not work, and so i need to use a sepperate multi channel audio device. To bad, is i am trying to envision a setup as minimalistic as possible, with a Montage8 and a single touchscreen computer, yet still offering me full workstation compatibillities and an Arranger ( V-arranger) at the same time... ( Mac does not have a touchscreen nor support for Varranger)

I also hope they will add DAW controll like on the Motif, where i DAW mode, i can use all the buttons and sliders to controll the DAW or KARMA... Just love how that works.. I really hope they deliver on this in the future... As others have indicated, with the removal of the Sequencer part(which i actually can understand), integration like this between Montage and the DAW is becomming even more important..

Posted : 28/01/2016 10:50 am

I'm also holding thumbs for DAW control the way it works on the Motif, it seems strange to me that Montage is all about using your DAW, but then not providing DAW control. So the all about DAW seems to mean the montage running as an instrument plugin inside your DAW.

Yamaha saying that there is no demand for DAW control seems to run counter to the hundred's of midi controllers out there that have DAW and often VST control. Novation, m-audio, nektar etc. etc. are all playing in this space.

I'm wondering if the Montage still sends all the control surface information as midi and one can't implement the DAW's learn function to map their controls to functions. It would still need some kind of "clutch" function like the Motif has with the "remote" button which reroutes the control info to the DAW.

Posted : 14/04/2016 4:27 pm
Bad Mister

I'm also holding thumbs for DAW control the way it works on the Motif, it seems strange to me that Montage is all about using your DAW, but then not providing DAW control. So the all about DAW seems to mean the montage running as an instrument plugin inside your DAW.

The Montage is all about "live" performing. It is "live" recording that is all about using DAWs, not that Montage is all about DAW. True, it does offer a mind bending 32 bus audio output feature via USB, but that is just so you have options to accurately record your playing performance with separation and control without necessarily having to overdub. But of course, you can overdub to hearts content. But I would not say that Montage is all about DAW. It's a live instrument... And like any live instrument, naturally you record to a DAW. If you wanted to record an acoustic guitar or piano, it not "all about DAW" that's simply how you'd do it.

I'm sure like Motif-series, features will be considered, and added as time goes forward and demands dictate. But first and foremost it is an instrument. And the 'focus' of the instrument is different, while there are some similarity with Motif, clearly it is a departure from that. Could you use it in a similar fashion to how Motif is setup? I guess so, Motif is better at being a music production synthesizer, because that is its focus, Montages focus, as you will see and hear is about being a performing synthesizer.

Posted : 14/04/2016 8:31 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us