Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage as midi controller not being recognized. Pls help!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Drew
Topic starter

Gear. Montage 76 / Tascam 16x8 audio interface / Win 10 computer / Reaper DAW / IK Media Philharmonik Sample Library
Philharmonik virtual keyboard works on a Reaper track.
MIDI 5 pin In/Out connected from Montage to audio interface (USB taken up going from interface to computer)
I cannot get the Montage to control Philharmonik. I've tried everything I could find online and with my limited knowledge of midi.
I'm at a loss. If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative!!!
thanks in advance

Posted : 17/09/2018 7:49 pm
Bad Mister

Gear. Montage 76 / Tascam 16x8 audio interface / Win 10 computer / Reaper DAW / IK Media Philharmonik Sample Library
Philharmonik virtual keyboard works on a Reaper track.
MIDI 5 pin In/Out connected from Montage to audio interface (USB taken up going from interface to computer)
I cannot get the Montage to control Philharmonik. I've tried everything I could find online and with my limited knowledge of midi.
I'm at a loss. If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative!!!
thanks in advance

Hi Drew,
Your problem is not really a MONTAGE issue, as you are not *directly* connecting the MONTAGE to the computer.

The Tascam 16x8 is your Audio Interface... therefore, you will select it’s Driver for routing audio into and back out of your computer.
We assume the Main L&R Outputs of the MONTAGE are connected to two inputs of this audio interface (stereo pair)

The Tascam 16x8 is your MIDI Interface... therefore, you will follow it’s recommendations for MIDI Driver and setup.
You told us that the MONTAGE is connected via 5-pin MIDI cables, hopefully, MIDI Out —> to MIDI In and MIDI Out of the Tascam to MIDI in of MONTAGE.

In MONTAGE: Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Set MIDI I/O = MIDI (green)

In order for you to use the MONTAGE as a MIDI controller under these circumstances, you will need to set the MIDI In of the device you wish to control to the MIDI Port of your MIDI Interface (Tascam 16x8)... This will take place within your software.

I’m sorry I don’t know that device (at all) does it have more than one set of MIDI Ports?

There is nothing to set for the MONTAGE because your MONTAGE is NOT connected directly to the computer. All MONTAGE connections are to the Tascam device... Your computer will identify the MONTAGE as “Tascam Inputs 1&2” if that is where you connected the MONTAGE audio cables; it will also see the MONTAGE as “Tascam MIDI Port 1”; .... you should contact Tascam for information on the Drivers and connection settings they recommend.

Hope that helps.
If you were using the MONTAGE as your audio and MIDI Interface, then we could tell you how to proceed with the Drivers and settings for the MONTAGE.

Posted : 17/09/2018 8:25 pm
 Drew
Topic starter

Thank you. I'm aware this is multi-dimensional issue beyond just the Montage. I will recheck what you suggested. Wish me luck.

Posted : 17/09/2018 11:11 pm
 Drew
Topic starter

Resolved! I installed the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver and USB input to computer. Reaper MIDI Devices now shows the Montage ! Clicked and played. YAY!!!! I read somewhere the generic drivers can cause problems. Thanks again for your input Mr Mister,
cheers....

Posted : 18/09/2018 1:30 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us