Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage AW2 vs Motif XF AW2

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views

Bump: On Peter's question. I was wondering the same myself.

Has the core XF waveform data been resampled/replaced or simply improved using some other means in Montage?

I use a WX5 Wind Synth with my MOXF8 to play Matt's patches (from Patchman Music - which are quite impressive by the way and highly recommended). When using a breath controller, you do hear some very subtle artefacts in the sound as you increase and decrease the volume. It's not a big problem but it's just there very subtly in the background. So I'd be really keen to hear the difference in the quality of sounds when using a breath controller or WX5 with the Montage.

Posted : 09/02/2016 11:23 pm

Side swerve Questions to Bad Mister as he ponders the question are new Montage waveforms "improved" - more bytes, longer samples, whatever that might be ... ? We are of course assuming there's alot of new waveforms in Montage not in XF.

on to the swerves

1 - how much fliexibility will we have to trigger scenes with foot pedal(s)? one of the things I do in some Voices in XF is use AF to group certain elements on with AF Off, others on with AF1, others on with AF2. I trigger AF1 on/off with a toggle latch foot switch so i can "switch voices" without using my hands. I'm assuming I'll be able to do even more cool neat switching in Montage, which by my semi-educated assessment is a more performance-friendly machine. wondered if there's any info on that?

2 - Live Sets looks like a great new feature to more easily rearrange my performances for live shows - the darn singers are always rearranging the set list as if it matters :), or sometimes shows have to be shorter and songs get dropped. in XF, I use Melas SW but it looks like I won't have to as Montage has easy drag drop add move remove functions. Another Great New Feature, thanks Montage!

Q: How many different Live Sets can we save? Can I have multiple Live Sets? I play in 4 bands ... be nice to have a Live Set setup for each band, then I just rearrange the song (Performance) order for each band depending on the show.

RE #2 - I see in the user manual 2,048 User Live Sets? thats alot of live sets to just rearrange existing performances!

I also see "approximately 1900 Performances"? Are there more Live Sets than there are Performances to put in them? 🙂
Are all performances user-editable? Or are there preset Performances - such as the stock APs, EPs, etc.? its approximately 1900, not a fixed number? interesting ... maybe I'm misunderstanding new terminology...

Posted : 09/02/2016 11:57 pm

BM - another question - Montage says AWM2 has 128 stereo polyphony. Is this different/more than XF? maybe you could explain. is FM a completely separate 128 stereo poly? if so, will I maximize available polyphony by using both AWM2 and FM-X parts in a performance?

Posted : 10/02/2016 12:00 am
Bad Mister

In the Motif series, a KeyBank was defined by a Note range and Velocity range. One or two samples could occupy a KeyBank. One sample (mono) or two samples, a left and right channel to accommodate stereo, can sound from a Waveform. So stereo samples in the Motif used 2 notes of polyphony per key pressed. Only certain Voices were sampled in stereo (acoustic pianos, orchestral strings/brass, sections, certain drum kits and a few others)... You can see the use in the DATA LIST booklet's VOICE List... there is a column "Element" which indicates polyphony use per key strike.

An XF Voice could be 8 Waveforms but rarely did all 8 sound simultaneously. Less than a handful of Voices use all 8 together. Take the "Full Concert Grand" piano Voice, as an example, it is an 8 Element, stereo sampled piano. On the chart you see "2" in the Element column ~ even though all 8 Waveforms are used, never is more than one demanding polyphony at any one moment... for each key pressed two notes of polyphony are used - a left and a right sample. A maximum of 64 notes of that piano could sound simultaneously. 64 x 2 = 128

In Montage the new structure allows twice as many stereo notes to happen at once. The FM-X engine's polyphony is totally separate from the AWM2 pool of polyphony. They do not impact each other at all in terms of polyphony.

FM-X is a pure synthesis engine, not based on samples at all. Tones are generated by oscillators, which do not require a separate source to generate a left channel and a right channel. And so although FM-X can be routed in stereo, stereo does not impact the polyphony.

That said, stereo FM Voices were made with the TX816, TX802, DX7mkII, by using two six Operator engines and panning one left the other right. This can and is still done here with the ability to combine as many as eight 8-Operator engines, at once.

You can use as many AWM2, and/or FM-X Parts as you desire totalling eight in one playable Performance. The polyphony pools remain separate.

Posted : 10/02/2016 4:14 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us