Clear all

Montage Balanced Outputs to Unbalanced Audio

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

This may be the opposite problem for someone who bought a MODX synth; however I ordered my Montage 8 a couple of weeks ago and it could be here soon. I am just realizing now that with my current setup, I have no audio cables or inputs that are 'balanced'. Everything I have is unbalanced mono cables and unbalanced 'line' inputs.

(a) Is there a setting on the Montage that allows me to switch the outputs to unbalanced, or (b) will it just work regardless without too much loss of signal, if I use unbalanced cables to unbalanced inputs, or (c) do I need to have balanced cables and inputs, such as the XLR mic inputs on a PA mixer board?

If the last one (c) is true and I need to have everything balanced (and there's no way around it), are there any relatively inexpensive Transformers or something that I can use to convert the balanced output to an unbalanced inputs?

Because I went with the Montage over the MODX, my budget is more than maxed out and I am hoping not to have to spend more money if possible.

Posted : 16/02/2019 5:13 pm
Bad Mister

You can use standard TS signal cables to connect the MONTAGE to your unbalanced input device. Nothing extra or extraordinary needs be purchased.

Posted : 16/02/2019 7:13 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Awesome, that's what I was hoping the answer would be!
Thanks...

Posted : 16/02/2019 9:56 pm
 G
Estimable Member

Will you lose any "sound quality"...?

Posted : 17/02/2019 12:42 am
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Will you lose any "sound quality"...?

I don't think so, on playback.
Anything that I want to record will be done via USB, so it will never leave the digital realm and thus no loss of quality.

Posted : 17/02/2019 3:05 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Balanced does not inherently mean a high quality signal and unbalanced does not mean the signal will be low quality.

Balanced transmission lines provide a higher level of immunity towards interference aggressors that could degrade the signal. As a generality - the longer the cable - the more probability that the transmission line will "pick up" some noise. So a short run of unbalanced cable in the absence of outside noise sources could be very high signal quality.

Posted : 17/02/2019 7:01 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us