Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage Connect + Pro Tools 12.5 (Windows 10), Help!

59 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

but it looks like the software is allowing for you to select MIDI channel 1 for both output and input. I'm not seeing the issue you previously communicated.
If it's a problem of having MIDI come through to your DAW (or MIDI sent from the DAW to Montage) - then that would be a different class of issue. I had thought you said that Ch.1 on MIDI input from Montage's MIDI output could not be selected. The screen shots disagree with this. I may be off base.

Yes, I have not problems selecting MIDI Input Channel 1 on Track 1 (& no problem selecting Output Channel 1 either). But as soon as I do select 'Input 1' & have PART 1 selected on the Montage with or without KBD CTRL disabled, it will not let me play/record PART 1 to MIDI Track 1 (input channel 1 selected).
It will however allow me to send any track with the Output set to Channel 1, which will play the Instrument that's in the PART 1 slot of the Montage. So it's basically just the Input Channel 1 that doesn't work at all. Output Channel 1 and all other Input & Output Channels work perfectly fine!

If I set MIDI channel to 'All', even then it will not play the sound in PART 1 until make sure KBD CTRL is disabled on all PARTs and most importantly PART 1 is NOT selected. It doesn't matter what PART is selected, as long as it's not PART 1, and then I can play PART 1. Because what I think is happening is that Pro Tools can't receive Input from the Montage on Channel 1, so it is using one of the other Channels (depending on which PART I have selected) for MIDI Channel Input (set to 'All' on Track 1), and then Outputs through Channel 1 back to the Montage to trigger/play the sound in PART 1 on the Montage.

In a nutshell, something is broken or misconfigured in Pro Tools, whereby it can receive & send on all MIDI Input/Output Channels except for Input Channel 1...

And I think it's just Pro Tools because Cubase was able to receive Input on MIDI Channel 1 with PART 1 selected on the Montage.

Posted : 27/04/2019 4:30 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Ok, so I played around with the settings in Pro Tools and it is 'definitely' Pro Tools that is causing the MIDI Input Channel 1 issue!

Comparing to the images I posted above, you can see the changes I made in these new images. These settings fix the MIDI Input Channel 1 issue, but changes how PARTs selection reacts or affects things on the Montage.

In Pro Tools under Setup > MIDI > Midi Studio... (Midi Studio Setup), I clicked on 'Create' to create a new MIDI Instrument configuration for MIDI to be selected on the MIDI Tracks' Input & Output. I chose 'Yamaha' for the Manufacturer, 'MOTIF 6-7-8' for the Model since there was no option for Montage or MODX, '2- MONTAGE-1 [Emulated]' for the Input Port.

Under the MIDI Input Enable I chose 'Yamaha MOTIF 6-7-8 1', which is the new MIDI Instrument configuration that I had created under 'Midi Studio...' as per notes above.

Then all the MIDI Tracks had 'All' for the Input, and I made sure each Output was to the corresponding Channel # so that they line up to the same PART # on the Montage.

As soon as I click on the Track 1 Record Enable button turning it Red, Track 1 triggered PART 1 on the Montage. If click the Track Record Enable button on MIDI Track 2, it triggers PART 2 on the Montage, etc. So that kinda fixes the Channel 1 Input issue whereby I could not select PART 1 on the Montage or else it would not play, even if the Pro Tools Input was Set to 'All' for that track. Now I can select PART 1 on the Montage and it will play that same PART.

* However here is the catch...with this setting in Pro Tools via the 'MOTIF 6-7-8' selected as the Model, not only can I select PART 1 on the Montage and play that PART while the 'Track Record Enable' button is selected on MIDI Track 1 (turning it Red), but I can select any PART on the Montage and PART 1 will still be the one that plays! I can select PART 2 or PART 16 and it's PART 1 that will be the sound that plays. If I then go to Pro Tools and select the Track Record Enable red button on MIDI Track 2, then PART 2 on the Montage will play regardless of what PART is actually selected on the Montage. I could then select PART 1, 2 or 16, and it's PART 2 that will be the one that plays. In essence, this setting in Pro Tools removes 'PART selection' from the equation, with the exception that at least one PART is selected. If I select the Home/Common Performance name and no PART is selected, then no PARTs will be triggered and sound unless they have KBD CTRL enabled. With this setting in Pro Tools, selecting and turning the "Track Record Enable" button red on a particular MIDI Track is what controls which PART on the Montage that plays, and PART selection on the Montage doesn't do anything. Then there's the KBD CTRL issue. If I enable KBD CTRL on two of more PARTs, the sound layers and gets triggered multiple times at the same time. So, if I have KBD CTRL enabled for PARTs 1, 3 and 8, while the "Track Record Enable" button is selected/turned red on MIDI Track 2 in Pro Tools, then PART 2 on the Montage will be triggered and the sound of that PART will be layered 3 times Unison.
(Note that the MIDI I/O Mode was still set to "Multi" during all of this testing.)

So that is not going to work. Fixed the issue with not being able to select PART 1 to get it to trigger/sound via Pro Tools, but messed up PART and KBD CTRL.

Is there a .dms DigiMIDIService Setup file template that I can use to import into the Pro Tools 'MIDI Studio Setup', or is it more likely that the current version of Pro Tools 12.5 that I have only supports up to the MOTIF series for MIDI and I'd need to upgrade Pro Tools itself in order for the Montage/MODX MIDI 'models' to show up?
Or is there another Manufacturer's Synth/Sequencer 'Model' that handles MIDI the same way the Montage handles does vs how the MOTIF handles it? Or maybe there's another Yamaha device/model that I can choose from that handles MIDI the same as the Montage/MODX? (see attached pics)

Right now, if I delete the 'Yamaha MOTIF 6-7-8 1' MIDI Instrument configuration in the 'MIDI Studio Setup' window, my worst case scenario is that for just PART 1 only, I will have to set the input on the MIDI Track to either 'All' or some other Channel other than Channel 1, and on the Montage I'll have to select a different PART (& not select PART 1) in order to make PART 1 be triggered/sound! PARTs 2-16, I can just treat as you normally would since they all work properly...!

Attached files

Posted : 27/04/2019 11:12 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

So, I went through BM's video series, but using Pro Tools instead of Cubase, and I can record everything I need to (MIDI & Audio), save the MIDI file to USB stick, load as a Song in the Performance, and set as the Audition for that Performance. The MIDI Channel 1 input is still not working, but I have a simple workaround and it's not a big deal...

One thing I experimented with and can't seem to get working is Recording the MIDI of holding a chord for an ARP PART. I recorded it with ARP disabled. Then when I play it back via Pro Tools MIDI channel with ARP enabled on the Montage, it works perfect. However, when I loaded the MIDI file into the Performance and play the song with the PART ARP enabled as well as the Master ARP enabled, the ARP does not play. Is it not possible for ARPs &/or Motion Sequencing to play within a Song on the Montage? If it is possible, what am I doing wrong? (note that I did not dive into ARPs and Motion Sequencing yet, so I don't know much more than a few basics from instructional Videos)

I even recorded the drums separately - the Kick to mono track, Snair to a mono track and the hit hats to a stereo track. One thing I noticed that that not all the kicks are associated with the BD in the Edit PART Osc / Tune screen, and not all Snairs are associated with the SD at the bottom, HH Close, etc. Is there a way to set the various notes to associate with one of those specifically?

Another thing I noticed while recording Audio from the Montage to Pro Tools, is that both the 'MIDI Rec on DAW' & 'Audio Rec on DAW' seemed to do the exact same thing, as far as recording to an Audio Track in Pro Tools. What is the difference between the two templates when it comes to Audio recording?

Posted : 28/04/2019 11:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The primary difference is that "Audio Rec on DAW" sets up the audio routing for each PART to match the following:

PART 1 - Main L&R
PART 2 - USB 1&2
PART 3 - USB 3&4
PART 4 - USB 5&6
PART 5 - USB 7&8
PART 6 - USB 9&10
PART 7 - USB 11&12
PART 8 - USB 13&14
PART 9 - USB 15&16
PART 10 - USB 17&18
PART 11 - USB 19&20
PART 12 - USB 21&22
PART 13 - USB 23&24
PART 14 - USB 25&26
PART 15 - USB 27&28
PART 16 - USB 29&30

So even though your Performance, by default, will probably have the output to "Main L&R" for every PART - after you touch the "Audio Rec on DAW" button - those output assignments are changed to the above.

People miss this a lot - but when you press "Audio Rec on DAW" - it doesn't change the mode of the keyboard forever. Those settings are only good while you stay in the same Performance. If you switch to a different Performance - then the new Performance likely will have PART 2's output as Main L&R (not USB 1&2) and other PARTs as well. It's not a button that changes a mode. It's just a shortcut to changing a bunch of settings. If you recall anything that alters the settings the quick template changes - then those new settings will override the quick template. If you really want "Audio Rec on DAW" - then you need to go back and press that button every time you change to a new Performance.

"MIDI Rec on DAW" does change the Audio routing - it sets all PARTs' audio output to Main L&R.

Note that in order to observe any difference with respect to the above audio routing - you MUST be looking at a Performance with more than just a single PART in PART 1. If you are looking at single-PART presets, these will all have one single PART in slot PART 1. And you see the "Audio Rec on DAW" will put PART 1 as Main L&R while "MIDI Rec on DAW" places all PARTs as Main L&R - so there is no difference with respect to this one feature of the template.

You can experiment recalling a factory Preset that has more than one PART. A good one is "Full AP/EP/Pd/Str". This Performance has 4 PARTs - PART 1 = Acoustic Piano, PART 2 = Analog Pad, PART 3 = Strings, PART 4 = Electric Piano. This is the sort of Performance you may want to audio multi-track where each single PART is its own self-contained instrument. Edit each PART to see what the audio routing is. You should see the factory setting is "Part Output" = "Main L&R" for all PARTs 1-4. That's the audio routing.

Now press the "Audio Rec on DAW" template button. Go back - you'll notice the PARTs match the table above. PART 1 "Part Output" is still Main L&R. PART 2 is now "USB 1&2", PART 3 is "USB 3&4", and PART 4 is "USB 5&6".

Just for extra measure - [STORE] this Performance so you have a new user Performance with the defaults saved for the "Part Output" setting to match the "Audio Rec On DAW" which splits each PART into its own stereo USB digital channel. When I did this, I named it "ar.Full AP/EP/Pd/Str" - adding "ar." to the beginning to signify "audio rec" (on daw). Now you have this stored - go back to the quick template and press the "MIDI Rec on DAW" button. Go back again and inspect the "Part Output" settings. You'll notice that the outputs have all been set to Main L&R. What you've learned is that the "MIDI Rec on DAW" button doesn't leave the Part Output setting alone (the same as the Performance setting) - it will change any Part Output that is not "Main L&R" to "Main L&R". Again - this only lasts as long as the Performance is not switched. If you press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) then turn the DATA DIAL counter-clockwise by one click, then clockwise again by one click (which should go back to the last Performance, then back again to your [STORE]'d "ar.Full AP/EP/Pd/Str" Performance) - you will see that the "Part Output" is now switched back to the discrete settings (PART 1=Main L&R, PART 2=USB 1&2, and so on).

Posted : 29/04/2019 5:48 am
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The primary difference is that "Audio Rec on DAW" sets up the audio routing for each PART to match the following:

So even though your Performance, by default, will probably have the output to "Main L&R" for every PART - after you touch the "Audio Rec on DAW" button - those output assignments are changed to the above.

People miss this a lot - but when you press "Audio Rec on DAW" - it doesn't change the mode of the keyboard forever. Those settings are only good while you stay in the same Performance.

"MIDI Rec on DAW" does change the Audio routing - it sets all PARTs' audio output to Main L&R.

Ok, this all makes sense why both were behaving the same.
I didn't know that they set the audio routing differently. I was going to each PART and setting the USB output myself, which I would have needed to do anyway because I was testing both mono and stereo.

Regarding my testing with Recording the MIDI of holding a chord for an ARP PART. I recorded it with ARP 'disabled'. Then when I play it back via Pro Tools MIDI channel with ARP 'enabled' on the Montage, it works perfectly. However, when I loaded the MIDI file into that Performance and play the song with the PART ARP enabled as well as the Master ARP enabled, the ARP does not play.
Is it not possible for ARPs &/or Motion Sequencing to play within a Song on the Montage? If it is possible, what am I doing wrong? (note that I did not dive into ARPs and Motion Sequencing yet, so I don't know much more than a few basics from instructional Videos)

Also I experimented with recording the drums separately - the Kick to mono track, Snair to a mono track and the hit hats to a stereo track. But one thing I noticed with the kit I used (same one BM chose in the video) was that not all the kicks are associated with 'BD' at the bottom of the Edit PART Osc / Tune screen (to the right of 'Common'), and not all Snairs are associated with 'SD' at the bottom, 'HH Close', etc.
Is there a way to set the various notes to associate with one of those specifically within a AWM2 Drum PART?

Posted : 29/04/2019 3:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

"BD", "SD", etc button on the bottom of the drum assignment screen are just shortcuts to a FEW drum keys. It may help you keep all of your bass drums and snares and such on the same physical piano keys since pressing one of these buttons will lead to a fixed piano key. Pressing these shortcut buttons is not generally how you would assign a sound to a piano key. So their use is limited. In order to assign all keys, you would press the "Keyboard Select" button so it is green then your key outside of the few standard ones (BD, SD, etc) will be ready to edit. The drum key you are currently editing is shown as a MIDI note above the "Drum Key" box in the lower-right.

"BD" is shown as drum key C1 (MIDI note C1 on the keyboard), "SD" as D1, and so on.

The "BD" and "SD" and such really have no meaning themselves. You could very well assign a whistle sound to "BD". These shortcuts are more for reference than anything else.

Regarding recording ARPs - "ARP Rec to DAW" will have you record the OUTPUT of the arpeggiators to your DAW. Not your trigger notes. So the full automated notes the arpeggio would spill out are going to be seen as MIDI note on/off messages in your DAW. Assuming your setting is correct, you would have the ARP not triggered by MIDI incoming data since your setup should match below:

I understand you're not using this mode - but it would probably be the easiest to manage unless there's another requirement you have why you need to record the trigger notes instead of the full arpeggio output.

Posted : 29/04/2019 9:17 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

"BD", "SD", etc button on the bottom of the drum assignment screen are just shortcuts to a FEW drum keys.
In order to assign all keys, you would press the "Keyboard Select" button so it is green then your key outside of the few standard ones (BD, SD, etc) will be ready to edit. The drum key you are currently editing is shown as a MIDI note above the "Drum Key" box in the lower-right.
"BD" is shown as drum key C1 (MIDI note C1 on the keyboard), "SD" as D1, and so on.

So basically C1 is always assigned to "BD", D1 assigned to "SD", etc., and this assignment can't be changed, correct..!?
But enabling the "Keyboard Select" button, allows for turning off any/all keys & editing them as necessary...nice!

Regarding recording ARPs - "ARP Rec to DAW" will have you record the OUTPUT of the arpeggiators to your DAW. Not your trigger notes.

Yes, I did that first as per BM's video

I understand you're not using this mode - but it would probably be the easiest to manage unless there's another requirement you have why you need to record the trigger notes instead of the full arpeggio output.

I was basically experimenting. First I recorded the OUTPUT of the arpeggiators via "ARP Rec to DAW" as per BM's video. Then I copied the Arp PART to the next PART and wanted to see if I could record the trigger notes via the "MIDI Rec on DAW" template, and then enable ARP on the PART and ARP Master to play it back from the DAW for that PART & associated Track...this worked perfectly. So to further my experiment, I saved the MIDI track data to USB and loaded it to that Performance as an Audition. But the only thing that won't work the same as it did on the DAW is the trigger notes I recorded on the second ARP PART with ARP on the PART and the ARP Master both enabled. But it doesn't work. (Note that these ARP's are PARTs 10 & 11, so no KBD CTRL possible)

So is it safe to say that it is "Not Possible" to play a Song or Audition and have a PART's trigger notes arpeggiate while the Song or Audition is playing (without triggering the ARP via KBD CTRL)?
I don't know if I'd really use it much, but if I missed something and it is indeed possible, it would be a "Nice to Have"... Would this work if I use the ARP in PART 1-8 instead? For example if I had a violin sound (PART 8) and in 'Scene 1' I have ARP off, so the Song/Audition plays the MIDI trigger notes I recorded; however I switch to 'Scene 2' with ARP enabled, ARP Master 'On' and Arp Select set to "8". That would be a nice to have & possibly something I might use, if it's possible to get the PART to arpeggiate and not just play the recorded MIDI trigger notes...

Posted : 30/04/2019 1:26 pm
Bad Mister

Just FYI
Drum sounds can be assigned to any Key.
You can Copy Drum sounds, you can Exchange Drum sounds.
You can build your own Kits.

The principal Drum Notes in a MIDI Kit are those outlined in the Drum Kit screen... if you are transferring/translating GM/XG Files to your Instrument you will appreciate the C1 = BD, D1 = SD, F#1-G#1-A#1 = HHcl, HHpd, HHop, etc layout. The most commonly used drum map. (Most Real world Drum Kits are four, five or six piece Kits... I’ve played with some world class drummers and none of them had 73 piece kits)... kick, snare, a couple of toms is the basic kit... add crash, ride and hh... (C1~B2)

So is it safe to say that it is "Not Possible" to play a Song or Audition and have a PART's trigger notes arpeggiate while the Song or Audition is playing (without triggering the ARP via KBD CTRL)?
I don't know if I'd really use it much, but if I missed something and it is indeed possible, it would be a "Nice to Have"...

Data recorded as a SONG can be made to trigger the Arpeggiators— this is accomplished by recording just the trigger notes, not the Arp Rec Out.

When recording a NEW SONG to the MONTAGE Play/Rec function, you can (as of version 2.5) opt to turn ARP REC = OFF. This is only available for a new recording and cannot be changed later. If you Record with ARP REC = OFF this means the Arps must be re-armed before starting playback, because the Song data will trigger the Arps in place of you hitting the keys. Arp Rec = Off is the same setting as when the MONTAGE is set to transmit on a Single MIDI channel... only the trigger notes are Output to the MIDI ports and only a single set of them.

Songs recorded with this (Arp Rec) set to off, can be played back with a different Arpeggio from the recorded one by changing to another Arpeggio set in the Performance. (See the Supplementary Manual, Section on the 2.5 firmware update).

MONTAGE SONG data can imported to Audition Phrase area. There are some differences between a Song (as played by the Play/Rec function), and that same data after it is converted to an Audition Phrase. But a Song recorded with the Arp Rec = Off when added as an Audition Phrase will require that the Arp On/Off is armed and ready to be triggered by the playback data. So you can do it.

We stress that there are differences, however. For example, you can’t insert Bank Select and Program Change data into an audition phrase (for fairly obvious reasons... it would be like placing a MIDI “Start” command on a Sequencer Track... obvious, like that).

Posted : 30/04/2019 11:43 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Drum sounds can be assigned to any Key.
You can Copy Drum sounds, you can Exchange Drum sounds.
You can build your own Kits.

How do I copy or exchange drum sounds? Does it involved pressing the "Drum Key", then "Keyboard Select" button, and then pressing a note on the keyboard(Drum sound) that I want to copy/exchange? I am guessing it then involves using the [SHIFT] button, but I'm not sure what after that..!?

Edit - I figured it out! I pressed [SHIFT] [EDIT], and that allowed me to copy or exchange drum sounds with two different notes!

Data recorded as a SONG can be made to trigger the Arpeggiators— this is accomplished by recording just the trigger notes, not the Arp Rec Out.

As an experiment, I did just that.

When recording a NEW SONG to the MONTAGE Play/Rec function, you can (as of version 2.5) opt to turn ARP REC = OFF. This is only available for a new recording and cannot be changed later. If you Record with ARP REC = OFF this means the Arps must be re-armed before starting playback, because the Song data will trigger the Arps in place of you hitting the keys. Arp Rec = Off is the same setting as when the MONTAGE is set to transmit on a Single MIDI channel... only the trigger notes are Output to the MIDI ports and only a single set of them.

Songs recorded with this (Arp Rec) set to off, can be played back with a different Arpeggio from the recorded one by changing to another Arpeggio set in the Performance. (See the Supplementary Manual, Section on the 2.5 firmware update).

I tried that (recording a new song with PART 10 "ARP" set to Off & "Arp MIDI Out" set to Off), but the song doesn't play the ARP when I enable it and the Master ARP as well. Is it because ARP REC = OFF is a different setting than ARP being set to OFF? Or is it because I am using PART 10 instead of PART 1-8, and therefore the ARP in the Scene is disabled? Where is "ARP REC = OFF" set at? (maybe that's where I'm going wrong..!?)

MONTAGE SONG data can imported to Audition Phrase area. There are some differences between a Song (as played by the Play/Rec function), and that same data after it is converted to an Audition Phrase. But a Song recorded with the Arp Rec = Off when added as an Audition Phrase will require that the Arp On/Off is armed and ready to be triggered by the playback data. So you can do it.

I can't seem to get the Audition nor a Song to play the ARP when it is enabled on the PART and the ARP Master...

Posted : 01/05/2019 2:23 am
Bad Mister

I tried that (recording a new song with PART 10 "ARP" set to Off & "Arp MIDI Out" set to Off), but the song doesn't play the ARP when I enable it and the Master ARP as well. Is it because ARP REC = OFF is a different setting than ARP being set to OFF? Or is it because I am using PART 10 instead of PART 1-8, and therefore the ARP in the Scene is disabled? Where is "ARP REC = OFF" set at? (maybe that's where I'm going wrong..!?)

Call up your Performance
Press the RECORD button... this should call up a blank “New Song” and take you to the Play/Rec screen
On the screen you should be offered “Arp Rec” = On/Off (firmware must be updated to 2.50)
Set the parameter to Off.
See page 7 of the latest Supplementary Manual (New Functions in MONTAGE version 2.50)

This can only be set on a new recording and cannot be changed afterwards.

How do I copy or exchange drum sounds?

Both Copy and Exchange can be accessed using [SHIFT] + [EDIT]
This shortcut is “context sensitive” — what that means is you can copy/exchange in the area of the context of what you are doing at the time. If you are editing Parts, this shortcut will let you Copy/Exchange entire Parts. If you are editing an Element, you will be able to Copy/Exchange Elements. And if you are editing a Drum Part, and you have *selected* an individual Drum Key, press [SHIFT] + [EDIT] to recall the Copy/Exchange screen.

Say you want to swap the Kick Drum used in the Arp (C1) with the alternate Kick Drum on B0 (half step below).
Select that Drum Part
Press [EDIT]
Tap “Keyboard Select”
Play “C1” to recall its data

By selecting the Part and the Key you will automatically populate the “source” boxes on the Copy/Exchange screen.
Press [SHIFT] + [EDIT]
Move the highlight over to “Exchange”
Set the “target” (right side) to the same Part number, but “B0”

Execute the Exchange.

Posted : 01/05/2019 2:40 am
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Call up your Performance
Press the RECORD button... this should call up a blank “New Song” and take you to the Play/Rec screen
On the screen you should be offered “Arp Rec” = On/Off (firmware must be updated to 2.50)
Set the parameter to Off.
See page 7 of the latest Supplementary Manual (New Functions in MONTAGE version 2.50)

This can only be set on a new recording and cannot be changed afterwards.

OK, I see it now and it worked; however...
1. If I have 2 ARP PARTs to record like that in a Song, will they all work if I record one after the other? It seems like the ARP Part is the only one I can record & I can only do it with 1 single PART, because when I select a different PART and hit RECORD, the only option under Record Type is "Replace". There is no "Overdub" option to do other parts..!?
2. What about recording the MIDI of a PART to a DAW that I want to later enable ARP on? Can that be done? Can I start recording the Song on the Montage Performance Recorder with Arp Rec = OFF, save it to a MIDI file, import it into the DAW, modify it & record more on that MIDI track, as well as other tracks, save it all back to a MIDI file on USB stick, load into the Montage as a Song or Audition, and be able to enable the ARP to be triggered via the Song/Audition MIDI?

I actually have a need/use case for doing this now, whereby I want to have an ARP enabled PART that I can play on the keyboard initially (via KBD CTRL), but then a bit later as the song builds, the pre-recorded Song MIDI for that PART's track takes over and plays that ARP, while I am playing other notes ranges/PARTs on the Keyboard. This would allow me to first play the ARP & then free up my hands to play other PARTs! Is this possible?
Is there some setting on the MIDI Track in Pro Tools or Cubase that can allow the ARP to be played off the Montage while the Song/Audition plays?

I am getting the sense that it is "not possible" via DAW MIDI recording, and it's very limited to 1 song/1 PART only in a Song on the Montage..!?

Posted : 01/05/2019 4:13 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I actually have a need/use case for doing this now, whereby I want to have an ARP enabled PART that I can play on the keyboard initially (via KBD CTRL), but then a bit later as the song builds, the pre-recorded Song MIDI for that PART's track takes over and plays that ARP, while I am playing other notes ranges/PARTs on the Keyboard. This would allow me to first play the ARP & then free up my hands to play other PARTs! Is this possible?
Is there some setting on the MIDI Track in Pro Tools or Cubase that can allow the ARP to be played off the Montage while the Song/Audition plays?

Each PART gets 8 ARPs. Do you have to real-time generate your ARPs during a Performance? Or can you pre-load 8 different ARP patterns? Conventional ARP usage can have you play generally what the ARP would play directly on the keyboard - then press the right trigger note(s) to force the ARP to take over. The ARP patterns all pre-programmed and not depending on what you play preceding.

Posted : 01/05/2019 5:53 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Each PART gets 8 ARPs. Do you have to real-time generate your ARPs during a Performance? Or can you pre-load 8 different ARP patterns? Conventional ARP usage can have you play generally what the ARP would play directly on the keyboard - then press the right trigger note(s) to force the ARP to take over. The ARP patterns all pre-programmed and not depending on what you play preceding.

No, I planned to use Scenes and have the assigned ARP enabled or disabled based on switching Scenes. And it's just one ARP that I plan to use at this point, but I may possibly end up using another ARP or 2 on other PARTs... (depending on whether or not the trigger notes I recorded on the DAW can be played via the Song/Audition)...

Scene 1, I want to hold/play the keys to have the ARP play, but then as the song builds and by the time I hit the Chorus, I want to change to Scene 2, have the ARP play via the Audition/Song MIDI (basically the ARP plays the trigger notes I recorded on the DAW), so that I can free up that hand to play a different sound, while the ARP PART still plays on. Then near the end of the song, I would like to switch back to Scene 1 and hold/play the keys again to have the ARP PART play.

Is this even possible? If so, how to I get the ARP to play the trigger notes I recorded on the DAW via the Song/Audition?

Posted : 02/05/2019 3:35 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If the pattern you want the ARP to play is a "loop" of some notes - and those notes are always the same for this song (do not change between times you play this same song) - then it would be easier to construct a fixed-note ARP. The restriction with any ARP (and seemed to be carried forward in this generation) is that you get to pick 16 different MIDI notes per ARP. This is like a pool of piano keys on your Montage. You can hit the piano key more than 16 times - the key word is "different". So if your pattern plays:

C4 D4 F#4 D4 C4

This represents 3 different notes (C4, D4, and F#4) - even though it looks like 5 "notes" in the ARP.

Assuming your pattern fits the rules, you can use ARP hold and ARP loop to keep the ARP going when you're not pushing the keys. If your time signature is 4/4 - you can have one scene switch the individual ARP number to one using "Mute 4/4" to silence the ARP - but keep the arp running so that when you press a different scene (that switches to your non-MUTE arp) - the ARP will pick up, in time, with the pattern.

Posted : 02/05/2019 8:30 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

If the pattern you want the ARP to play is a "loop" of some notes - and those notes are always the same for this song (do not change between times you play this same song) - then it would be easier to construct a fixed-note ARP.
Assuming your pattern fits the rules, you can use ARP hold and ARP loop to keep the ARP going when you're not pushing the keys. If your time signature is 4/4 - you can have one scene switch the individual ARP number to one using "Mute 4/4" to silence the ARP - but keep the arp running so that when you press a different scene (that switches to your non-MUTE arp) - the ARP will pick up, in time, with the pattern.

No, the notes for the ARP will not always be the same, as I will be changing chords/notes as the ARP plays.

If it's not possible to record those chords/notes to a MIDI track in Pro Tools, then load the MIDI file into an Audition on the Montage, and have the ARP play, then I'll just do it the other way instead whereby I record the ARP notes to the MIDI track by selecting the "Arp Rec on Daw" template. I was just hoping there was a setting I was missing on the Montage or maybe something in the MIDI track data (using the "MIDI Rec on Daw" template to record the chords/notes) that can be set so that the ARP will later play the chords/notes in the Audition.

ARPs and Motion Sequencing are two things I have not really learned much about yet, and I don't even know what the difference between the two are. They both appear to be doing something similar or the same..!?

However, I will likely need to create a 'new' custom ARP...Is this even possible? If it is, are there any videos/instructions on how to create/record custom ARPs?

Back to 'Drum PARTs' for a minute for a couple of quick questions ... What is the difference between Assign Mode "Single" & " Multi" for a particular note? Also, what does the "Rcv Note Off" do when it's "On" vs "Off" for a particular note?

Posted : 03/05/2019 3:05 am
Page 2 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us