Notifications
Clear all

Montage controlling XF Performances via MIDI

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

Before the 1.2 update, I was employing Montage as master keyboard, and Zone Master ON, allowed using Montage Performance to play Parts locally and to MIDI select and control an XF performance.

Then, after the update, and reloading those USER Performances, something changed.

The control still works, with an unfortunate caveat.

Previously, when I selected a Montage Performance, it had a Part that would likewise select, via MIDI Pgm Num, and play that XF Performance.

Now it still works, provided I edit the Part controlling the XF, and reset the MIDI Pgm Num (back to the same correct number). So MIDI Pgm Num changes the XF Performance as appropriate, but not on initiation of the Montage Performance.

In other words to get it to work I have to manually EDIT the Montage Part, each time I recall the Performance, to reset the MIDI Pgm Num.

It must be some System setting that was reset during Firmware update but I cannot determine why this is happening.

Posted : 12/09/2016 2:22 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, Mark, I have no idea what you are attempting to describe here. How about a different approach? Tell us what Performance in the Montage you want to use to recall what Performance in the Motif XF.

Nothing in the update changed concerning the Master Zone function (assuming you updated from 1.11 to 1.20).

Let us know.

Posted : 18/09/2016 9:12 pm
 Mark
Topic starter

I wanted to use MIDI control as a backup to Cubase when a computer isn't available.

So I've encountered some anomalies that are either bugs or I am not implementing something properly as the above problem is consistent.

So, in MIDI transmit mode rather than USB, I created a set of Montage Performances that have a Part that MIDI controls XF Performances. Some of the Montage Performances play Montage Parts (voices) and some don't; everything appears to be working fine.

I select a Montage (User) Performance, Zone settings for the XF-control part has Zone setting on, Program Change is set appropriately (Bank LSB/MSB set to 0, Program Change entry selects a specified XF Performance in XF USER1)

Everything is working fine and I can hop between a number of Montage Performances, automatically selecting the intended XF Performance, and control one or both keyboards.

So now I created a Montage Performance to use as a template, with a single Part set to control XF Performance(s). I did this so I could simply import that into existing Montage Performances and not have to redo the XF control settings, with the single exception of setting a Program Change value to select a desired XF Performance.

Now nothing works. Selecting the newly created Montage Performance produces no program changes on XF regardless of Program Change value. Further, and most confusing, when I switch back to the other Montage Performances which worked just fine, THEY no longer incur program changes on the XF, I can still play the XF with all the Montage Performances, but at whatever XF Performance is selected as the program changes no longer work; quite confusing. Also, this 'tempalte' Montage Performance was created by importing from another that has a Part that controls XF just fine, and then deleteing all Parts except the single XF 'control' Part, which was working just fine! ??

I can rectify this issue by restarting the Montage.

Then all of the Montage Performances created to control XF work fine and I can again select any of those and XF responds appropriately. UNTIL I select that XF template Performance and then program changes stop working for XF for ALL those Montage Performances, it just stays on the current XF performance and ignores any and all Program Change inputs.

So I'm not really looking for a solution here, because I will just delete the 'bad' XF Template idea I had and go from there; everything is fine. But there is potentially a bug somewhere that you should be aware of, particularly if other users have similar MIDI control issues.

So no need to solve this problem for me: I'll do what I suggested, and I want to use USB/CUBASE as primary anyway. However, something is amiss here or at least highly unintuitive (to me).

Best regards,

Mark

Posted : 23/09/2016 2:25 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us