Notifications
Clear all

MONTAGE eol ?

32 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Fred
Trusted Member

Thank you Blake for your post. It gives us an hope !!

To Andrew : No, I'm not contradicting myself ! I said that Yamaha goes on upgrading other synths, and since the beginning of this thread, I've being saying that I hope for an upgrade of Montage/ModX. Thats all !! And Blake has just led us to the Darryl answer.

Posted : 26/10/2021 7:58 am
Member Admin

Thank you Blake for your post. It gives us an hope !!

To Andrew : No, I'm not contradicting myself ! I said that Yamaha goes on upgrading other synths, and since the beginning of this thread, I've being saying that I hope for an upgrade of Montage/ModX. Thats all !! And Blake has just led us to the Darryl answer.

They don't seem to have enough active and capable and well managed programmers to walk and chew gum. Which is exactly the point I take from your dates and what you talk about being updated.

The MODX/Montage operating system is somewhat unique, in and of itself, because of the motion features. Its overhead is extreme, because many, many things need to be animated from 'frame to frame', above and beyond what might ordinarily be done with mere LUTs in a more normal synth, and there's a massive matrix of potential animators and targets of animation.

It requires a degree of programming talent far beyond anything else in the Yamaha stable, not least because it's also using very humble chips.

And there's so incredibly empowering low hanging fruit, as per the OP, that's not been realised.

My claim is this: Yamaha has mismanaged their relationships with the programmers for a very long time. This is evident in this forum, in SoundMondo, the reliance on IdeaScale, the lack of those low-hanging-fruit updates to MODX/Montage, the manner in which other products are treated to updates, the bizarre loss of traction on iOS (where Yamaha was initially more significant than even Korg) and many other things indicative of a company that hasn't quite come to terms with the importance of building and maintaining software development as the future.

Perhaps this is most noticeable in the dynamic responses of Roland to their own missteps. Within 10 years they've gone from not really having any real "luck", to ZenCore across a myriad of products and the beginning of a new modularisation across much of their range, including as a service.

That's an incredibly responsive set of mea culpas and adaptations, for a group that was behind the 8-ball for a very long time.

Yamaha doesn't even seem to know what any of that means, let alone have a capacity to respond.

Posted : 26/10/2021 8:53 am
Page 3 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us