Clear all

Montage First Steps with FL Studio

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello
I just purchased Yamaha Montage 6 and FL studio
I need help with first step and make it work with FL Studio on windows.

Can someone give link to tutorial or help me?
What cable/s i need to connect? MIDI-USB??
In box i had only Montage 6 and AC/DC cable.

Thanks in advance! :p

Posted : 28/12/2018 4:47 pm
Topic starter

Simple USB A to USB B 2.0 will work? Like this in printers?

Posted : 28/12/2018 5:26 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, the cable you show is what you need to connect the MONTAGE to your computer.
Connect to the “To Host” port on the MONTAGE back panel... the other end to your computer.

You will want to download the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” for Windows.
This is found by going to the corporate Yamaha.com website and navigating to the “Synthesizer and Music Production” area, as if looking for information on the MONTAGE... the Product Page has a specific “Download” link to all things concerning MONTAGE.

Find the Windows Driver... it comes with instructions. Read them twice... once so you know, in advance, what you’ll need to do. And the second time as you do each step. Installation is usually painless if you do this.

Posted : 28/12/2018 6:43 pm
Topic starter

I wasnt going to post any more here but I want to help you out. 1. install the Steinberg driver for Montage. 2. Open Fl studio. 3. set midi section under midi settings like mine (see image attached) You can change the port values to your liking.
4. use midi out plugin to "talk" to the Montage. Make sure to set the proper channel in the plugin to 1 or 16 or whatever. Also set the port value to the output port value like in the settings. If you put the Montage into Midi I/O single mode then you can reroute everything through 1 channel and record it into a single instance of the midi out plugin.

The Montage remote controls will also work as well. Set the Montage remote to Ableton mode. As long as you set this up similar to mine it should work.

There are still some other hurdles working with recording midi and audio that need to be learned in FL. Search the FL forums for those details.

Thank You for answer, im waiting for my cable to arrive. 🙂

Posted : 29/12/2018 4:49 pm
Member Admin

having gotten the two talking, and playing and recording to one MIDI track and its associated part, how is a second and the rest of the parts and tracks setup to work with MODX?

Posted : 25/12/2021 5:41 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you have keyboard select turned off for Parts 2-16 (like the GM/Multi initialized Performance) - then you can record MIDI of each Part individually by selecting the Part and playing. Only the selected Part will output MIDI.

Posted : 25/12/2021 6:59 am
Member Admin

If you have keyboard select turned off for Parts 2-16 (like the GM/Multi initialized Performance) - then you can record MIDI of each Part individually by selecting the Part and playing. Only the selected Part will output MIDI.

How do you create FL Studio tracks that permit this?

I don't believe it's possible, that's how farked up this process is, with fruity loops.

Posted : 25/12/2021 2:46 pm
Member Admin

Hi Andrew. Set up 16 tracks each using the Midi out plugin. set each track to its corresponding channel. 1-16. Then right click each track and you will see a menu item called Receive notes from. Set each of those again to the corresponding Montage midi channel for that track. I used Port 1 for the Montage settings in FL so make sure all those midi outs are set to the same port as your montage setup in fl. Heres some screenshots about it

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/62622/how-do-i-permanently-assign-my-midi-device-to-a-specific-channel-or-instrument-i

Posted : 26/12/2021 12:15 pm
Member Admin

Hey @C

I can make a single track with MIDI. As per the image in the stackexchange link, I can create what is Bass in that image.

I can't make a second MIDI track/part, that has anything to do with the MIDI coming into the computer/FL Studio.

What am I supposed to be doing to create a second MIDI track with the MIDI plugin?

Have searched up and down through the FruityLoops forums and other forms of online community, but it seems most users only use with plugins, and perhaps one single timbre MIDI instrument, not something like the Montage/MODX.

Sorry for the stupid question. Only ever used FL for the Piano Roll in the past.

Posted : 27/12/2021 7:02 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us