Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage how to save a library from selected user sounds and/or performances?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,
I have lot of sounds in my user space in my Montage 8.
I want to make a library containing some of it, not all, and save it on a USB stick.
Same question but with performances categories.
I'm sorry, I'm new with the Montage, my last Yamaha instruments were a TX81Z and, of course, a DX7!
Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
François

Posted : 03/05/2019 1:15 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome back Francois,

A MONTAGE Library File is made by first assembling, in the User Bank, all the data you wish to be in that Library.
A Library File is created by going to [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Save/Store” > Set the “Contents Type” = Library File

This File will carry the extension .X7L. This means you can now permanently install this data to one of eight Library locations in your MONTAGE. These Library locations make this data impervious to destruction. It is “burned” into Flash memory such that you would have to manually DELETE it, or Initialize All Data in your MONTAGE.

LIBRARY locations differ from User locations, because the User Bank locations are overwritten each time you load something to the User Bank. Don’t panic, you will always have the file to reload it — if you are smart about knowing it is imperative to STORE your custom work to the User Bank, and then SAVE a User File .X7U, to keep a copy of that work.

If you work with a computer, you would not work on a document or letter without saving a file — in the case where you are not finished, you have a file to restore your previous work on the document. Sure you could just leave it on the screen and come back tomorrow, and continue... but your document is vulnerable. What if someone comes along and reboots the computer... anyway, if you’ve done some work worth keeping ... create a file (User). — hint: making individual Performances you maybe able to use MONTAGE CONNECT as a method to keep track of works in progress. It’s a quick way to have a safety copy of each new Performance you work on.

When you have assembled enough data to warrant creating a Library... you’ll want to use the entire USER area to assemble just the data you want to include in this Library. Think of creating a Library like creating or publishing a book. Only the data to be included in this book is assembled in the User Bank.

Maximums for the User Bank area:
640 Performances
256 User Arps
256 Motion Sequences
2,048 Waveforms
2,048 Live Set slots
32 Curves
8 MicroTunings

This is the User data that will be included in the Library data when you literally “save as...” Library File

You can either start from an Initialized User Bank, or Load/Import the data you wish to include — the idea is the User area is captured and becomes one of eight Libraries. If you have some data you do not wish to include in this Library, you can go through the data and DELETE the items you do not wish to include.

Here’s how:
All your User data can be viewed [UTILITY] >”Contents” > “Data Utility” > here are folders containing your data. The “Performance” Folder will contain a listing for each of the current User Bank Performances. There is a Waveform Folder, an Arp Folder, Motion Seq Folder, etc. if you have Performances you do not want to include, touch the Performance Folder, find the listing and you can DELETE it.
If you have more than one or two, tap “Job”, you can now Select multiple items with check marks, then you can DELETE them all at once.

If you have data previously installed in a Library and you wish to include it in this new Library (for whatever reason) use the “Library Import” feature to redirect Library data to User area locations.

Review your User Bank... when you have it just as you would like to preserve it... Save it as a LIBRARY FILE .X7L
This becomes your safety copy of the Library you created.
I additionally Save this data as a USER FILE (allows me to keep a copy for editing)

Important point... you now have a Library File, it is not yet “installed” to your instrument.
To install this to one of eight Library locations, you should first, Initialize the USER BANK...Then proceed to LOAD your new .X7L file to the MONTAGE as a Library File.

I keep both a .X7U and .X7L of all my Library data... reason: when you want to make a change to an installed Library... no matter how small a change, you must redo the entire Library. It’s like you’ve published a book, if it’s already in print and you find something you wish to change, well, no matter how big or small that change, you must publish a new edition. It’s ROM (Read Only Memory) a fancy computer term for: you can’t change this stuff, you can only read it as it is, period. This Flash ROM has extremely high-speed access times, and can deliver 128 Stereo channels on-demand...

If/when I decide I would like to change one of my Libraries, I simply DELETE it...
I then load my USER (.X7U) version of that data ... to the User Bank, make my update to the data... and save new File versions... and finally install the updated .X7L file.

Take your time... Library manipulation is not fast. It’s not something you do that often but allows you to customize what data will always be in your MONTAGE.

Posted : 03/05/2019 2:31 pm
Topic starter

Hello,
Thanks for all. I think this is clear now. Don't worry for the backups, I've worked all my life with computers and as researcher the 15 last years. We use to work very dangerously... Backup, documentation? Waste of time!!! Not even, I know it.
I also have a Korg Kronos, working with the Montage seems more simple. But you have to know how to process.
I will follow your explanations.
A question more: when I turn on the Montage, I have a screen with 16 performances (presets ?).
When I touch "Bank" I see User 1... all empty.
Still on this page, when I touch "Page" I can see a lot of performances (memory of the Montage, I presume).
But My loaded sounds are nowhere.
I I use "Category search", type the beginning of an imported performance from a X7U or X7A, then it's OK.
I don't know where those performances are exactly and how to make appear the whole content on the screen.
Something is not clear for me there.
I have soon loaded 7 libraries, so, I have to clean the space, or, better, to merge some of those in order to have enough place for the new ones.
I admit, all that is not necessary, but I'm exploring my instrument.
Don't worry, all what is in my synths is twice in my computer.
Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
François from Auvergne.

Posted : 03/05/2019 5:49 pm
Bad Mister

A question more: when I turn on the Montage, I have a screen with 16 performances (presets ?).
When I touch "Bank" I see User 1... all empty.

When you turn On the MONTAGE, the screen that appears is the LIVE SET screen. This is the factory default.

Bank = Preset; Page = Best of MONTAGE 1 (Page 1)
A “Live Set” is a configuration of Performances found in the MONTAGE. This Preset Bank of Performances are so configured for use in retail stores. It places a variety of Performances found among the 2,655 Factory Performances. Because it could take several hours to play each if you started at 0001 and advanced to 2655. It might be hours before you found a string sound... So this serves as a sort of “best of...” Bank... showing off a wide variety of different programs.
There are 16 programs per Page and there are 16 Pages... so 256 Performances are referenced from the Factory Preset Live Set. You can change Pages by tapping the Page down arrow in the screen, or the hardware [Page Down] on the lower right corner of the front panel, or by the hardware button that corresponds that grid location.

There are User Live Sets... all blank initially. The way you (the User) would use these is to place your own Performance selections in place on the screen, so that when you are performing onstage you can advance through your Performance Programs one after the other, in the exact order you need them. You can program a Foot Switch to “Live Set+” and anytime you step on the pedal it will advance you to your next program.

Each LIVE SET USER Bank (there are 8 User Live Set Banks) each has 16 Pages of 16 Performances. That’s the 2,048 Live Set slots.
Think of Live Set, User 1 as a set list with 256 steps in it. Why so many steps per list? Because if you are changing instruments always in a specific order (Broadway show is a great example), it is very convenient to just repeat the item on the list. If you move from piano to organ back to piano, to synth lead, to strings and then back to piano... you would just repeat the piano in slots 1, 3 and 6... rather than hoping around, you just advance to the next program, on cue. Live Set entries are just a list of the Performances you use in a specific order... You can store a short note, and you can preset a Volume for each entry.

That’s one way to think about it. A Live Set slot “references” (points to) a Performance in its HOME location. If you were to DELETE the Performance in its HOME location, the Live Set would report “Not Found”.

To set the first Performance to a User Live Set is easy.
Call up the Performance you wish to use first.
Press [SHIFT] + [LIVE SET]
The first available Live Set slot in User 1, Page 1 will appear with a white flashing highlight.
Touch that box or any of the 16 on the grid to instantly place the Performance on the set list.

Extra Credit:
You can choose what appears when you first turn on your instrument.
Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “System” > here you can set what happens at Power On. Whether it powers on on a Live Set, or a particular Performance, etc. This setting becomes a part of your “System” settings.

Recommended Reading: MONTAGE: The Basics

Finding Your Performances
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Touch “Bank” > “User”
You now see listed just your User Performances in the order you created them, or if you tap “Name”, alphabetically ...

Additionally, any Performance can be marked “Favorite” (gives it a yellow star) and is a “Bank” sort category. In your User Bank you may have a favorite Brass ensemble Performance. If you’ve additionally marked it as Favorite finding it is as simple as
[CATEGORY SEARCH] twice, selects Bank = Favorite
Touch “Brass” > “Ensemble” > voila

Posted : 05/05/2019 2:44 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us