Clear all

Montage Junior

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

oook, there´s an article in french that explains why it´s really different. made completely of plastic, light, different keys. you might wanna get this message thru in those demos, cos we can´t really tell from looking and listening

Posted : 14/09/2018 9:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That's how it's always been. MO has always been a great value. My last board was a MO.

You both got a jump on the MO and more buttons/controllers. Only half the assignable knobs with MO. No ribbon. If you have an 88 - better keybed in the Montage (IMO). Number of sliders, simultaneous parameter control (knobs), the shortcut key matrix (Number A through C buttons).

If you're like me - you would've been fine without these extra bits. However, I'm fine with my choice still.

The big thing, to me, is that MO now has a MO7. That's a big deal to me because part of why I decided to go full flagship was thinking that there probably wouldn't be a 76 MO keyboard.

Posted : 14/09/2018 9:10 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

yes, if the keys aren´t as good as on the Montage then I´m probably much better off with my expensive Montage. oh well, I wonder if the price of the Monty will go down even more now with this cheap junior out.

Posted : 15/09/2018 5:49 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

actually it isn´t really a third of the price, at least not now, there´s a MODX6 at gear4music for 1343 euros, so it´s a bit more than half the price of the Montage 6. after looking at the new yamaha production guide about the MODX I conclude that it really is the same as Monty soundwise and the only difference is the weight, the keys and less sliders and knobs, but soundwise, it must be the same since compatible with all montage performances.
gotta say, the light weight would have been nice for me....

Posted : 15/09/2018 6:54 am
Stefan

There are actually quite a few more differences:

• External power supply
  • Probably no balanced outputs
  • Less flash
  • Not sure about the analog circuitry
  • No LEDs around the knobs and beside the faders
  • No ribbon
  • Less FM voices
  • Less USB channels
  • No assignable outputs
  • No aftertouch

All in all I think it is a pretty nice instrument! And a fair price as well. Omitting some things which are really pro features but keeping full sound compatibility with the Montage. For my part I am glad I have the Monty. But I can understand others which go for the MODX.

I think it is a great addition to the Montage family and will make it more valuable in the long term: more reason to make sounds, I would expect more and longer firmware updates, because it’s now amortized over both synths.

At Thomann the 61 key version is offered for about 1150 €. And the Montage price has risen from 2300 € to 2800 €. I might actually get a MODX in addition as a spare and for rehearsals - much less to haul...

Posted : 15/09/2018 8:22 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yeah, the MODX is compelling due to weight. It's hard for me to justify having two boards with the same sounds -- as I wouldn't want to let go of the Montage due to its advantages as a controller (extra buttons/knobs).

I'm set unless one magically materializes. Magic includes lotteries and donations. Both of which belong along side any other mythical entity.

Posted : 16/09/2018 10:35 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us