Clear all

Montage M OS 2.0 UPDATE coming soon!

6 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
 Stu
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Many new sounds, features and improvements including fully editable E.S.P. , shimmer reverb, displayable organ drawbars.

Coming end of June.

I found information on this elsewhere rather than on the official Yamaha synth site. Sigh 😔.

https://youtu.be/lajG2CP2S30?si=1zOAPOfM1ih4iGkn

Posted : 19/05/2024 2:04 pm
 Stu
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Posted by: Stu

Many new sounds, features and improvements including fully editable E.S.P. , shimmer reverb, displayable organ drawbars.

Coming end of June.

I found information on this elsewhere rather than on the official Yamaha synth site. Sigh 😔.

https://youtu.be/lajG2CP2S30?si=1zOAPOfM1ih4iGkn

Oh, and SmartMorph for the AN-X engine.

Posted : 19/05/2024 2:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Looks good - thanks for the link.  Seems like there's a few "and more" surprises to come in OS 2.0.  The shimmer reverb shows a commitment to user requests as this seemed like a top requested effect after the improved rotating speaker.   The ability to modulate effect parameters means the built-in shimmer may be better than an external pedal although now we'll get into battles of the character of Yamaha's versus the other 3rd parties.

The OS (and ESP+) comes out at the end of June.  This seems like a first, from what I can remember, of giving users advance information on features prior to the availability of the new firmware.   This is either turning over a new leaf or there's other competition coming influencing the messaging prior to the firmware release.

Posted : 19/05/2024 8:47 pm
Stu reacted
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Thank you for sharing, that video was record this week-end at Berlin Superbooth with Dom Sigalas as presenter and you can see at one moment on the back my Collegue Hape from our Tech talk Live team.

Great announcement and new things to explore end of june.

Posted : 20/05/2024 8:51 pm
 Jon

What about Beta testers for the new build, is it possible to allow those of us end users who are experiencing CPU issues with the software to get some feedback to the devs, before they release it? 
It doesn’t seem that Yamaha releases software like other devs like u-he which do allow for their users to test builds. 

This is my first experience with Yamaha plugins, and I’ve had the M8x since Oct. and no updates to the software were offered. I really would hope there’s testers with similar hardware to confirm stability. 
New features are cool, but I’d rather have a stable release. 

Any ideas ? 

Posted : 22/05/2024 5:11 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I can't address the beta test question other than to say it's rare to know anything definitive is coming until it's here -- so even the pre-launch announcements are unusual as far as software and firmware goes.  If there's a collection of users who have had CPU related issues with ESP then I would hope that Ideascale is "full" with conversation about it and requests to alleviate whatever the specific problem is.  I don't have an M (and therefore no ESP) so I'm not able to comment on it from any experience.

Really, I came back to the thread to give a big thumbs up on some of the features expressed in the news article here from Blake.

CONTROL

MIDI 2.0: MONTAGE M OS v2.0 implements several MIDI 2.0 specifications like high resolution data for note velocity, polyphonic and channel aftertouch, Super Knob, pitch bend, modulation, assignable knobs/sliders, foot controllers and sustain

WORKFLOW

UI Improvements: MONTAGE M OS v2.0 adds improved AWM2 Element edit along with additional Category Search and Navigation choices.

MIDI 2.0 officially making it's way -- even in limited form -- is great.  I wonder if high resolution note velocity is implemented with the M6 and M7 using more "traditional" keybeds.   If so, this may make for a more expressive instrument.  Now we know what all of those elements can be used for.  Higher resolution on velocity means you can have more granularity in velocity layers and really stack a bunch together.   You could hide weird noises at certain very limited velocity "slivers" so you'd get some random character here and there.  

I kind of wonder if "assignable knobs/sliders" means assignable knobs and sliders or assignable knobs and assignable sliders.  Assignable sliders would be interesting.  Either way - more resolution here is interesting.

I wonder if this means that curves will have more resolution too in order to take advantage of all of the inputs.  And if user curves can have better resolutions to better take advantage of all of this.  In the past I had wished we could hand edit all available ins and outs for a user curve instead of being limited to 8 different values.  That would be welcome and useful.

More velocity layers could also mean that arps could have more "stuff" since velocity "layers" is a means of building arps.   I sort of doubt arps will be revamped - but it's certainly a direction where these kind of changes could be useful.  And maybe growing out of the 16 max notes.  Just wishing here.

Pivoting to the element editing improvement -- that was certainly a big request.   I'm sure there's good stuff in the search/navigation options.  

So overall, this Control/Workflow stuff is, to me, fairly huge.

Posted : 23/05/2024 6:00 am
Darryl reacted
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us