Notifications
Clear all

Montage Midi Zones Architecture for external Sound Generators

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi to all guys.
Im planning to buy a new synth and midi control is very important for me since for live use I just cant use software.
My mind is on the Yamaha Montage/Modx and I have read that "limitation" on the 8 zones (1 to 8) for keyboard control so I have some questions regarding this design:

1.- If I use the parts 1 to 8 with internal sounds, can I still use those 8 parts (1 to 8) for external sound generators? Or each part must be or Internal or External?

2.- Since I have other keyboards (Kurzweil PC3), can I fill the 16 parts on the Montage/MODX and make the parts 9 to 16 sound and be controled via The Kurzweil PC3? (I believe this setup would cut the SSS feature)

I need to control a Korg Radias Module, Fantom XR with 4 SRX and a Motif XS Rack. Its very frequent for my playing to use 16 zones and today I control everything with a Kurzweil PC3, but that "Super Knob" feature on the Montage/MODX looks really amazing instead of using faders; Im even thinking I can create big Performances/Multis on the sound modules along with the internal sounds of the Montage and instead of changing Performances, just create patterns on the Super Knob to modify volumes or parameters.

Thanks a lot

Posted : 04/02/2021 10:43 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

1.- If I use the parts 1 to 8 with internal sounds, can I still use those 8 parts (1 to 8) for external sound generators? Or each part must be or Internal or External?

You can use these Parts as internal + external. Zone control allows for you to have the internal tone engine respond to these Part(s) or not.

2.- Since I have other keyboards (Kurzweil PC3), can I fill the 16 parts on the Montage/MODX and make the parts 9 to 16 sound and be controled via The Kurzweil PC3? (I believe this setup would cut the SSS feature)

This is correct. Using any of the Parts 9-16 will disable SSS. I don't use SSS so this has not presented any issue. If I switch Performances - there's always daylight between where SSS would not matter. Anything that needs to be sonically connected - I make all of that work fit within a single Performance. However, you may want/need to leverage SSS. And in this case would want to stay away from using Parts 9-16 for both the initial Performance and the second Performance during a switch. They both need to have Parts 9-16 empty in order for SSS to work.

Still, you can fill all Parts and have Parts 9-16 respond to external control. The eternal MIDI device addressing Montage must be able to output to channels 9 AND 10 AND 11 AND 12 AND 13 AND 14 AND 15 AND 16 in order to address all 8 parts when you have a "full deck" inside Parts 9-16. I know the Kurzweil can handle this. It's in the minority (yes, there are others - just not a lot).

Posted : 04/02/2021 11:05 pm
Topic starter

Thanks a lot Jason, that was really helpful and what I wanted to read =)

Regarding the MODX limitations VS Montage:
For the SSS scenario, I know MODX can have up to 4 parts assigned, but If I fill the 1 to 4 parts for internal AND external sounds and 5 to 8 ONLY for external sounds, will SSS work?

Thanks a lot

Posted : 04/02/2021 11:34 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Source: https://yamahasynth.com/learn/modx/mastering-modx-category-search

SSS - Seamless Sound Switch (Performance contains 4 Parts or less, under KBD CTRL).

For the Montage I can only use Parts 1-8 and anything in Parts 9-6 will result in defeating SSS. I imagine MODX works similarly that Parts 1-4 are free to use but using any Parts 5-16 will cause SSS to be defeated.

If I use Part 1 and Part 9 only - SSS is defeated even though I've only used 2 Parts total.

Posted : 04/02/2021 11:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us