Posted : 26/01/2018 12:05 am
Eminent Member

Music Production Guide 2018

Posted : 26/01/2018 12:05 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi, thank you Jason for linking Moessieurs videos 😉

Note also that song slot memory pass from 64 to 128, presets banks pass from 16 to 32 slots, the 17th bank have performances, the others are empty actualy, so we can hope more new presets performances in future 😉

You have this video from namm about sample robot too :

https://youtu.be/LOLX4v5PgfQ

Posted : 26/01/2018 6:21 am
Michele

In my humble opinion, Yamaha accustomed us receiving things little by little. Motif XS/XF whole data import should have been present since the beginning, not after a couple of years (or three) since Montage hit the market.
It's solely our fault if we run like demented when a new synthesizer is produced. We should keep our feet on the ground and see if the specs of the new instrument meet our expectations. Buying a Montage on September last year was an act of loyalty, because nothing was already sure about importing Motif XF data in its entirety.

Anyway, I was a little disappointed from this firmware upgrade because my expectations were relevant to other aspects, such as a better sampling management and a new synth engine.

Posted : 26/01/2018 9:22 am
 Tom
Trusted Member

MIchele And All
2.0 is a great update. But also long in coming. And some say. Made to Draw in Motif customers.
That haven't Changed yet. To Buy A Montage. I agree with this mostly. But Why would you?
I would Keep both If I needed the Montage for SN and.....
Motif owners. Read this Board. They Know What the Montage problems are. So they are not going to change.
Until the Montage Corrects A lot of problems.

Having an upgradable OS. Does not excuse. 'Rushing Something to Market. And We will add that Later'.
Like I have said many times in the past. I would not even consider a Montage. Until OS 1.5. Came out.
I did do my research. And sat and tested things out Many times prior to OS 1.5. And I knew it was missing some
real important Things. It is Real hard to Test Midi out in a Store! When it has in/out/thru. You Assume it is stanard!!!!

1. It is Called 2.0 Simply for Aesthetics/PR. Since all competitors are at Rev II or 2.0. So it had to be called that to seem equal.

2. They ignored. Almost All of the little flaws and Great little suggestions. Voiced by Users. I can see why.
As they had to make it compatible. With the Most successful keyboard line ever produced.
They finally realised. The Motif. Was just too important to The music world and users. And Fine.
That Is very very commendable. I am sure this was no easy task.
Because. We now really have the next Generation of Motif. Plus!!! *Except!.....

3. I was a little surprised that one of my suggestions. Made it into the release.
(There must have been hundreds of complaints about it.) And that was the. Boot to 'Best of' limitation.

OS 2.1 Must address the little flaws(Maybe some are not really little.).
Like the scene change not holding notes when switched.
I do not know why this has not been corrected yet. Every keyboard with scenes.
Does it correctly. or by the end of Measure. And this has been a complaint. since the Montage was first launched.
The Library limit of 8 slots. Needs to be 16( It could be 12. slots. But everything on the montage is 8 or 16).
Let the user worry about the Megs. size of Lib's. Then make their own library Organization.
I do not want a USB stick Sticking out of the back of my unit. It is just asking for trouble.
And Unless. It is a Super Superb Lib. I can do without Very large Mem hogs like Chick's(Near 600 meg)or anything that size.
Because of only 8 Lib Slots. Not available space(Memory). I can not load 2 lib's I have.
No one needs the extra work this causes. Of switching . Back and forth. It is a Stupid limitation.
And Little things to fix. Go on and on and on........

Boy Then we Come to the reason. I would have never bought a Montage.
Had there been a Disclosure. About Midi being. Non Standard! There is innovation.
Then there is Fighting the Norm! There is a Reason that A Standard MIDI exists.
It is so users. Can expect One Midi Product. To work with other MIDI products.
You do not just trash a standard. And then. Not even Disclose it.

I have doubt. This can be fixed in a OS update. Since All performances. Would have to be Reorganised.
To Drums on Channel 10 and so forth. This is still a Big problem for me.
Not being able to use a Controller/Keyboard. To play the montage with.(Without Mapping each performance!).
Channel 1 will Play a performance. Way louder than. You have the Montage set to. This is nuts!
I have checked every CC and midi signal. From the controller. The controller volume.
And the Montage are Never Equal in volume.
Set them both to 127. And the controller still plays the montage performance.
Way louder than playing it on the montage itself.
U can see the Controller volume moving the mixing master. But How is 127 not = to 127?
Playing the controller at 127 volume. is still louder than Playing the Montage mixing set at 127.
One workaround. Make the Controller/Keyboard Sending midi to the montage.
Actually Substitute the keys of the Montage. Since the montage keys will play the performance. At the volume set.
Give us a Map for the Keys to Keys.(I Do not know whether this is even doable?)
Now anouther work around maybe. Using 1, 10 and The channel Bass is supposed to default to.
IE: give us 8 channels. That are MIDI Standard. These Channels. Will not be in order.
They will be Set to. What is Midi Standard. Must include Channel 10.
IE: What is normally the rhythm section. For lack of better term.
At least if We knew we could use Standard MIDI to a point. That Would be a great improvement.
And Use the other 8 internally. Yes they will not be in order. You guys are smart enough to set up a table.
That at least would give some Normalcy to the. MidI and other keyboards/Controllers.
A 3rd. option. Give us a Combo of Buttons to select. To Go to standard midi. This would prob. Not let the SN work.
But would let us play all the performances correctly from another keyboard.

I see this Non Standard MIDI. As one of the. Biggest Flaws in thinking. When they designed the Montage.
Thinking A keyboard player. Will just be happy with 1 keyboard. NO Friggin Way!

Posted : 26/01/2018 5:27 pm
 Tho
Trusted Member

All the current updates are so good but one thing that I like to suggest is:

I want to have the instrument category on the screen to make more easier for live performance, you just press it and show all the sounds and performances in the order of each instrument category.

For example: Piano,E-Piano, Strings, Guitars, Organ, Brass,Sax,Ethic...ect....

thanks

Posted : 26/01/2018 8:19 pm
Tommy
Eminent Member

The Montage that we all love, and many here love to hate on:
It's like that stunning girlfriend - with bad breath.
The Ferrari with a cylinder missing.
The Mac that won't run Windows.

It's like a sunset that's the most awe-inspiring you've ever seen - until you realize this is because of the mushroom cloud on the horizon.
(well, not that bad).
It makes absolutely gorgeous sounds - and its touch is as nearly divine as even the awesome geniuses at Yamaha could design.
Thank you, Yamaha!

And yet....
....we must accept that it has a few glaringly maddening shortcomings, that can be explained by the Gurus at Yamaha,
...but not 100% excused.

Yes, it may be designed with that elaborate workaround necessary, or this interface inability - - but it's still the most expressive electronic traditional keyboard instrument on the Planet.

Should we abuse the Mister here over it? Not in my opinion. His job is difficult, though he's brilliant and (usually) more patient than anyone could hope for.
Should we stop making our pleas, requests, suggestions?
Never!

Thank you Yamaha. And darn you too! We love you.

Posted : 26/02/2018 2:25 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us