Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MONTAGE OS v3.51/MODX OS v2.52 Available NOW

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member

The box labelled SRC16 in the Montage is an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) which is key to the higher sampling rates in Montage. It handles conversion for sample rates that are a multiple of 48kHz.

Far be it for me to say what is idle and is available in an SWP70! Yamaha have not published a description of its internal design and probably never will. It's an incredible competitive advantage for them. They clearly did something interesting to produce the current YC series!

the SWP70 ASIC certainly contains a programmable part via firmware and a "fixed" part.
Regarding the programmability of the SWP70, the effects part is based on DSP algorithms that can be updated with the firmware: just remember how the spiralizer effect (1.60), the moog filter and wave folder (3.0) have been implemented as the firmware progresses.
Regarding the synthesis part there was only one change, the Extended LFO within the synthesis engines: even if it is not a new function, in all cases Yamaha has shown that something can be programmed.
On the possibility of implementing significant changes in voice synthesis (the single SWP70 can manage 128 + 64 channels with AWM or FMX synthesis and filters) it would be very interesting to have a YC Series teardown (YC61, YC73 and YC88). If inside them there are the same SWP70 of Montage, it would prove the possibility of implementing new synthesis techniques, in theory, also in Montage

Posted : 14/03/2021 8:57 am

Hello, I got today an used Yamaha Montage 8, and I observed it has the version 1.51 on it installed, and I wanted to upgrade it.
USB update didn't worked so I checked with the PC Montage Connect tool.

And at the SETUP is an error message: Firware version error.
Could somebody provide me assistance to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 02/04/2021 2:33 pm

Please tell me this isnt the update that we were waiting for....

This is an UpDATE (bug fixes and maybe some minor enhancement). Sounds like you are waiting/hoping for a UpGRADE (typical full version number increase, containing bug fixes and new features) they are different things.

Posted : 03/04/2021 5:24 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us