Clear all

Montage Questions

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
Topic starter

New to Montage... Have a few questions

1) Looks like I can only apply 2 effects per track (as opposed to 16 with the Kronos). Am I right? (I know I also have master effects)

2) How do I switch basic MIDI functions on and off per track? Example, I want to disable the damper for a strings track only....

Thank you.

Posted : 19/01/2021 4:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

1) That's true - Kronos is different. You have a pool of effects and can assign more than two to any given "track" for Korg. BTW: each "sound" in Montage is called a "Part" (not track). Which will become important when following docs or other forum messages - to understand the language.

Montage can only assign two dedicated effects per Part. There are also bussed effects which are called "System Effects" (Reverb and Variation). Parts can opt in or out of System Effects and vary the amount of system effect per Part. Master effects are a 3rd level that automatically apply to all Parts.

2) Yes, use "Receive Sw" options on a Part to switch off the damper pedal. There's a recent post covering this. Someone else may dig it up before I get to it.

Posted : 19/01/2021 5:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
 Joe
Topic starter

Great thx.... I'll check into those...

Posted : 20/01/2021 1:32 am
Antony
Estimable Member

There is an effect called Multi FX. I know this is available for the "per element" or "per Part" effects known as "Insert" effects. It may also be available as the "opt in/out" system effects (Variation) as described above.

The Multi FX is comparable to the basic Multi Effects Processors used by guitarists to save space on their pedalboards.

It gives you basic configuration options for each effect, but also provides the main food groups in 1 effect block.

For example, you could have Comp->Distortion->Chorus as the Insert A effect, routed InsA->InsB, then have Delay for example in the InsB.

You can check out the Multi FX detailed options in the Data_List Manual. The options are basic but generally enough (e.g. Distortion = Gain+Tone, Chorus = Depth+Rate etc.

Posted : 20/01/2021 11:20 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

Just another thought, you will find optional elements (samples) in some cases where a classic effect is already applied in the sample.

Examples
Organ Rotary Fast
Organ Rotary Slow
Rhodes Tremolo/Pan

You can't configure the "effect" but sometimes its exactly what/all you need.

You can also create Vibrato/Chorus, Tremolo, Wah type effects with each elements LFO.

Example, Flanger, 2 of the same element (TypeX)
Element1 = TypeX - Dry
Element2 = TypeX - Key On Delay 6ms, LFO Triangle, Pitch, adjust depth and speed.

Also, 16 effects per track (Korg) sounds attractive. But in practical terms, you'd be well advised to keep effects at a bare minimum in order to "manage" your sound.

Posted : 20/01/2021 11:46 pm
 Fred
Trusted Member

In fact, you can even have 4 insertion effects for one part, by using assignable outputs directly plugged into A/D input, then you route A/D signal to 2 new insert effects. That gives you 4 insert effects !!

Posted : 21/01/2021 7:52 am
Member Admin

@Fred can you give more precise (for moron me) explanations of how to do this?

Very intriguing trick!

Posted : 21/01/2021 11:57 pm
 Fred
Trusted Member

@Fred can you give more precise (for moron me) explanations of how to do this?

Very intriguing trick!

Yes.
1) Take one Part. In Common > General you can select the Output. Choose AssignL&R (or AssignL or AssignR).
2) Plug in a jack wire between this Assign ouptut and one A/D Input (of MONO) or the two A/D Input (if Stereo).
3) In Audio In > Mixing, set Input Mode to the right input (L, R, L+R or Stereo)
4) In Audio In > Routing, select the two new Insert effects.

That way you will get 4 insert effects for one part !

(Of course, nothing prevents you from pluging external effects between Asignable ouput and A/D input. But this trick concerns internal Montage FX only.)

Posted : 22/01/2021 8:57 am
Member Admin

Argh, I see. I was dreaming of a digital way of routing out to AD in, never thought of running a wire around the outside to do it.

COOL HACK!!!

Posted : 23/01/2021 1:18 pm
 Fred
Trusted Member

Yes, it's an external analog link. But the Montage A/D converters are such a quality that it's not a problem.

Posted : 23/01/2021 4:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us