Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage Scenes for external midi

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am using a midi module as a tone generator with the montage and works fine. I can change the patches in the module using the MSB, LSB ... and all midi cc’s works. Only issue I have is with the scenes. If I do some changes as an example if I mute certain channels and save it as a scene , that information does not transmit to the midi module ? Any ideas on this. Thanks

Posted : 26/08/2019 3:13 am
Bad Mister

I am using a midi module as a tone generator with the montage and works fine. I can change the patches in the module using the MSB, LSB ... and all midi cc’s works. Only issue I have is with the scenes. If I do some changes as an example if I mute certain channels and save it as a scene , that information does not transmit to the midi module ? Any ideas on this. Thanks

That is correct. The parameters memorized by the SCENE function includes local MONTAGE parameters. It does not “transmit” anything to external devices.

We assume you are using the ZONE MASTER function to communicate with your external module. And while you can preset a Volume and a Pan position (in addition to the MSB/LSB/PC) for that external device and you can control its Volume with the Slider corresponding to the Part slot designated to control that device, the Scene “snapshot” does not SEND volume messages Out via MIDI... it strictly addresses the MONTAGE engine.

If you have setup a ZONE slot to control your external module, you will notice the Slider corresponding to the External slot will control the Volume of your external module. You will also notice the red LED lights of that slider does not move when you move that Slider. The red LED represents the internal MONTAGE, not your external module. We also assume you set the INT SW (Internal Switch = Off for that slot)... so there is no internal sound to control.

Likewise, the MUTE button would only mute the internal MONTAGE Part... and have no effect on your external module’s Audio connection. That is correct behavior. The MUTE button disconnects the internal Part from reaching the MONTAGE Audio Outputs....

Where are the audio Outputs of your Module connected?

The reason I ask, if you would like to control and automate the external module via a Scene Memory, same as if it were an internal MONTAGE sound, you should return the audio outputs of the module to the A/D In of the MONTAGE... doing so makes your external device apart of the MONTAGE Synthesis Engine... now you can control the Volume of the A/D In via the Super Knob position... and the Super Knob position can be captured by a Scene. Here’s how that would work:

Take the Left and Right Output of your external module and connect it to the A/D Input of the MONTAGE (as a LINE input). Activate the front panel AD in switch and set the Gain.

On your Performance, press [EDIT]
on the upper “Common/Audio” level of the Performance touch “Audio In”
Highlight the “Volume” parameter for A/D In
Press the glowing [CONTROL ASSIGN] button — a screen that prompts you to select a controller appears
Move the Super Knob to make the Volume assignment

If you have an available Control Set, the MONTAGE will make the Common Assign Knob setting and link it to the Super Knob.
Curve = Standard
Ratio = +63
Param1 = 5

The position of the Super Knob will now control your A/D In

From the HOME screen, touch “Scene”
Activate the MEMORY switch for “Super Knob” = On for each Scene you wish to use...
Tap “Super Knob” directly below the “ON” switch for the currently selected Scene, and enter the value you would like for your external synth... 0 will Silence it... set the value you desire for each Scene as you may require.

Final words: this may or may not work for your Performance... it will depend on what else you have the Super Knob doing.
If this conflicts with other programming remember you have the Slider, you also can control the external device using an FC7 — both are real-time manual controls.

The Super Knob controls the “AD In” Volume which is Scene memorized
The FC7 and the Slider can actually SEND cc messages to alter your external devices Volume.

Hope that helps.

See the Zone Master FAQ article for more info on the benefits of connecting your external module to the AD IN
As mentioned this may or may not work for you depending on whether you are using the AD for something else.

Posted : 26/08/2019 4:36 am
Topic starter

Thank you for the detailed answer. You have understood my question very well. And the tip you gave worth millions. I never thought using the super knob would be the solution.
I am using external module for more than one channel and routing back to AD Input. The super knob controls the overall volume of all channels in your method. But that’s ok. I can manage with that. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Posted : 26/08/2019 5:29 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us