Notifications
Clear all

Montage Sequencing with 16 tracks?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi folks!
I am not sure, if I got it right: Does the implementation of a Pattern Sequencer mean that we will get a "normal" 16-track-sequencer too?
And if so, will it be possible to load Motif XF-Songs into the Montage?
Thanking you in anticipation - stay tuned!

Posted : 23/09/2019 6:38 am
Bad Mister

Hi folks!
I am not sure, if I got it right: Does the implementation of a Pattern Sequencer mean that we will get a "normal" 16-track-sequencer too?
And if so, will it be possible to load Motif XF-Songs into the Montage?
Thanking you in anticipation - stay tuned!

Question is unclear - but we think we know what you are asking. Everyone's "normal" is not the same.

The Performance Recorder now has a Loop Record feature. It is still very much a Performance Recorder - designed to capture 'every move you make' while performing on the Motion Control Synthesis engine. It has enhanced Play FX, and a gaggle of Edit/Jobs. Data can be moved between the linear MIDI Song, and the new loop-based Pattern function... so you can take a long linear jam you made. Say you call up a Performance and want to get inspired... you can quickly ADD a "Rhythm Pattern" to your Performance by pressing [SHIFT] + [CONTROL ASSIGN] - so you can play with a drum groove rather than a Click.

Play for as long as it takes to come up with an idea... You can then playback your MIDI recording... decide which measures are really working - go to PATTERN grab the measures you think are inspired... and create a Pattern section from that data... You can now spice up the Drums (adding fill-ins, replacing the track if you wish, etc), you can add other instruments and so on.

Or you can just work directly in the Pattern area. Building your composition in musical sections... You can load .mid files from your Motif XF or other source - to either the linear Song or the loop-based Pattern area... you can build up to 8 Sections which are housed on the SCENE buttons.

No, it will not be able to load Motif XF Songs because the Motif XF used a system where Voices were referenced in Bank locations -- MONTAGE as you should know, uses an entirely different setup for storing your programs. So the way programs are gathered for the MIXING setups of the two instruments is radically different.

You can move a Motif XF Song to MONTAGE by saving the Motif XF Song as a SMF (Standard MIDI File) .mid format. This will load into the MONTAGE as a Song or Pattern.
You must recreate your MIXING setup - and since all Motif XF Voices are available in the MONTAGE as Single (green) Part Performances, you can recreate your MIXING setup in the MONTAGE. So if you are asking is there any help in translating your XF MIXING to the MONTAGE. No, there is not.

Posted : 23/09/2019 9:35 am
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,
thank you very much for answering so quick! You are right, the question was imprecise ... But your guess was right and so I got what I wanted to know.
And let me say: This OS3 is great. And I am really excited to work with it!
When I read the comments about the YAMAHA event, I don't understand, why so many people rant and rave about it ... There will be always and everywhere captious critics, but this step is a quantum leap for all MONTAGE-Users!
Best regards
Marcus

Posted : 23/09/2019 10:05 am
Eminent Member

The pattern implementation is really a nice add on. I didn't see this coming at all...a very nice surprise.

Posted : 23/09/2019 11:15 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Previous firmware releases have responded to challenges voiced by users. This firmware is no different. Montage has had, in my opinion, a fairly aggressive history of adding features. The early development had the firmware releases closer together - which is expected as there are more hands-on-deck when a product is brand new.

Posted : 23/09/2019 11:21 am
Bad Mister

The early development had the firmware releases closer together - which is expected as there are more hands-on-deck when a product is brand new.

Not to my knowledge. Where are you getting this stuff? Cheer up, it’s not dead...

Posted : 23/09/2019 4:54 pm
Member Admin

The new sequencer is awesome! I was afraid of what it would be if it ever came about but its good. I cant wait until we get the full tutorial

Posted : 24/09/2019 12:00 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us