Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage Touch Screen Issue

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, i have a montage 6 for a couple of years, only at home use, but for some time now, the touch screen is not responding at (usual) the outer edges when tapped on selections,
even with the calibration screen the 2 lower edges of the screen wont respond as good as it should, i have to tap the lower 2 dots several times, to get them to respond.
It only works correctly after i have the unit on for about an hour or so, then the problem seems to be gone, but this is not normal, i dont know how to fix this.
b.t.w. the protective foil, that was on it, when i just got it new, is not on the screen.
Should i return the unit to the music store, where i bought it, for repairs, or is there some other way to overcome this issue, and have my montage's screen working properly again?.

Thanks in advance,

Edwin.

Posted : 20/09/2021 7:41 pm
Bad Mister

Hi, i have a montage 6 for a couple of years, only at home use, but for some time now, the touch screen is not responding at (usual) the outer edges when tapped on selections,
even with the calibration screen the 2 lower edges of the screen wont respond as good as it should, i have to tap the lower 2 dots several times, to get them to respond.

That seems consistent… the Calibration screen is used to recalibrate normal operation. Not responding to the outer edges is what is being recalibrated. If the dots were initially spot on, you would likely not be on the calibration screen in the first place. Tapping the dots several times may indeed be necessary to recalibrate the screen.

Press [UTILITY] + [COMMON] > then [ENTER] to launch screen calibration using buttons.

You should do so whenever necessary. The fact that you also report that after you’ve been using the unit for an hour it doesn’t happen any more — we assume this is after you have successfully recalibrated the screen. If after an hour it fixed itself (without you recalibrating it) that would be something maybe… but recalibration, when successful, is not measured by how many times you have to hit the pixel… it is measured by the last time you tap the pixel and it offers you the next one to tap.

I’m simply saying, there is nothing unusual about tapping that dot and getting no response, if that happens, tap it again until it disappears. It disappearing means it is now recalibrated.

If you’re asking why it gets askew, I couldn’t tell you. But everything you have reported seems like a normal recalibration. I’m guessing temperature might be one of the things that affects screen behavior — next time I talk with a technician, I’ll see if they have any additional information.

Posted : 21/09/2021 10:16 am
Topic starter

Thanks, for the reply, this behaviour, of the touch screen, it does it every time i switch on, even in the re cllibration screen, i have to tap the lower dots several times,
and when i complete the calibration, it does not improve, until the unit is on for about one hour, so yes it is like it has to 'warm up' or something, that seems a bit weird.
Anyway its a bit of a nuisance, that it wont repond as snappy right away, as it used to do in the past, eventually i might take it to the store where i bought it, to get it fixed,
no rus, cause its probably no warrenty, since i have it for about 2 or 3 years now.

Posted : 21/09/2021 6:44 pm

Interesting that this is happening in the Montage now. I had a similar problem with a MODX7 earlier this year and it's still continuing intermittently. The lower "buttons" on the screen were not accessible-the touch points were off the touch screen. "Run the recalibration": well that only works if the dots respond and in my case the top two responded but the lower right never did, however many taps or however long I waited. Recently I was out of town for a week and then a hurricane was threatening so the MODX was unplugged for about 3 weeks. When I powered it up again there was no response from the touch screen. I could still use the hardware buttons to select sounds but can't access the "buttons" on the far left of the screen with the hardware buttons. After leaving the board on for an hour or so the screen finally responded but again, not to the calibration routine. Lately it seems to be working again. It's about 18 months old so out of warranty, it doesn't leave the house, and as with most intermittent problems if I take it to the local service center it will probably work fine for them. In an internet search I found I'm not the only one with this screen problem. Hardware issue? Software issue?

Posted : 22/09/2021 10:06 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us