Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage - Tyros combination

18 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Peter

Peter, I'm pleased you agree about the sound quality! Have you tried, or do you intend to try, midi'ing the two together? I can see a whole bunch of problems, but also a great deal of interest, not to mention simple fun! Bafflement. Bewilderment. Frustration. Eureka! too ... I'm unsure what you mean by routing through the Tyros speakers ... and then through the Tyros aux: in: ... surely the two are the same? How do you route through the Tyros speakers without going through the aux: in?

Rod, theT5 has a dedicated speaker set,the MS05. This is a self contained set which just plugs into the Main Out of the T5 therefore it can be used with any keyboard. You can connect midi-out ofT5 to midi-in of Montage and the main out of the Montage to the aux-in of the T5 which routes whatever voice is selected in the Montage through the MS05 speakers but played by the T5. Does this make sense? The Montage voice may be played by setting up R1, R2 or R3 on the midi/edit/transmit page of Function/Midi to Midi-out A. You can also set up the Montage to play styles etc through the same page but using the 'receive' tab. I've done this with other keyboards but not the Montage yet. I've no reason to suspect it'll be any different
I'll be interested to hear how you get on
Peter

Posted : 21/10/2016 11:09 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - yes, makes perfect sense for the T5, but the T3 employs a strange 8-pin plug for the R channel, as you say, and since I want to use the 76 key range of the Montage to 'over-drive' the 61 key Tyros, I have configured it again that way but cutting out the Sony speakers. The Montage outputs now go to the mixer, and the mixer output now goes to the 'Line In' of the Tyros. Thank you for explaining the 'Balance' functions too - I had not connected the label 'Mic' with the 'Line In' - while the double press enables me to play the Montage alone on those occasions I need to. Very useful. Because most of my 'Registrations' on the Tyros included recording the Style associated with that sound, naturally the Montage plays that Style too - which is not wanted in all cases. So it looks as if I'll have to re-do a lot of them anyway to cut out the Style element (among others!). I haven't sussed a way to recall the optional recording list for amendment once the Registration has been recorded, and suspect it is not possible? Not a great problem - the Style element is useful too on many occasions - just stay away from the split point! Haven't got into that really - still stunned by the combinations now possible, limitless it seems - it's like stepping from a horse and cart to the starship Enterprise ...

Posted : 23/10/2016 8:07 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Glad I could help, even flying blind without a Tyros on hand.

What you've done with the mixer is fine even if possibly redundant - it gives you more control, a central location for everything other than Tyros level (although it could be used for that too if you have enough channels), and allows for moving this central control to any of the keyboards you happen to be designating as the one you're physically playing on.

We could get into a more detailed discussion about possible routing - but I think its best to keep the routing like it is since you understand the ins and outs of what you've done and can explore other routing options at your own pace through experimentation.

If so inclined in the future, you may want to take a look at the Tyros3 manual and also Montage manual to see how the audio inputs and outputs can be connected and controlled by the keyboard's controls (dials, knobs, faders, settings). The manuals do a pretty good job at this level of detail.

Posted : 23/10/2016 9:38 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us